Not connected, Your IP: 3.140.188.16

Hi, I just switched from another VPN to AirVPN.  I noticed something that I have never seen with previous VPNs.  The Eddie-UI.exe program is constantly using CPU, usually in the 5-10% range. Is this typical, or do I have something configured wrong. Thanks.

On 3/5/2024 at 12:13 PM, Ravenlord359 said:

Hi, I just switched from another VPN to AirVPN.  I noticed something that I have never seen with previous VPNs.  The Eddie-UI.exe program is constantly using CPU, usually in the 5-10% range. Is this typical, or do I have something configured wrong. Thanks.

Hello!

Is it 5-10% of a single core or the whole CPU? Can you tell us your Operating System name and version and the Eddie version?

Kind regards

I may have had similar issue as OP. For me the CPU usage of Eddie-UI.exe was in range od 0.5%-3% constantly (even when Eddie was hidden in the tray).
Since Eddie is open-source and I'm a .NET engineer (I troubleshot a lot of app performance problems at work) I sat one Saturday afternoon and found that the issue was in the method call that gets network interfaces from system.
The fix is a couple lines of code - store NetworkInterface objects in process memory (monitor for changes) and call GetIPv4Statistics() on them instead if creating new ones every time.
I'm running with this custom Eddie build for over a year now without observing regressions and the CPU usage is stable at 0.0-0.1% in background ;)  After seeing this topic I re-tested with and without the patch on version 2.24.2. The results are visible on the screenshots.
@Staff Feel free to test this patch [git apply file.patch]
I'm using Windows - haven't tested other platforms :)

BR

before-visual-studio-profile-of-eddie.png

after-visual-studio-profile-of-eddie.png

before-patch.pngafter-patch.png

network-interface-get-improvement.patch

17 hours ago, matts9 said:

@Staff Feel free to test this patch [git apply file.patch]

Thank you, it will be in the next release.