Not connected, Your IP: 18.221.187.121
convincewithdaydream

ANSWERED Extreme WireGuard Slowdowns ~.22 Mbps - Reconnecting Resolves the Issue Temporarily

Posted ... (edited)

In the past week, I have noticed that my VPN connections to AirVPN plummet in speed at random times. When this occurs, download speeds slow to less than 1 Mbps while upload speeds remain untouched, and this seems to be invariant of the geographical location of the servers I connect to. Slow speeds persist for at least several minutes after the initial slowdown. Manually reconnecting immediately fixes the speed issue.

I connect to AirVPN via WireGuard in a docker container. I always keep several VPN sessions to AirVPN running concurrently and have not observed any correlation in the time of slowdown across VPN sessions. I have not experienced any issues with another VPN provider I also connect to via WireGuard using the same docker container.

Please let me know if you have any ideas about what might be causing this issue.

Example:
Slowdown on Vulpecula
Speeds immediately after reconnecting

Edited ... by convincewithdaydream
typo

Slowdowns and such with Wireguard  are sometimes related to MTU issues. Try setting your Wireguard interface MTU to 1280 and see if that helps. 

@Staffand @benfitita , thank you for helping me. After a lot of troubleshooting, I believe I have discovered the cause of the issue. Even though I use the same Docker image for all of my VPN connections, I use each VPN container differently. In particular, I mostly use one VPN container connected to an AirVPN server when I need a proxy. The WireGuard slowdowns seem to have been caused by my usage of Privoxy in conjunction with a low memory limit of 70 megabytes.

I resolved the issue by removing the memory cap on my VPN containers.