Not connected, Your IP: 3.139.81.58
Sign in to follow this  

On 4/24/2013 at 11:11 AM, Staff said:

Thanks! ipleak.net is run by us, do you like it?

Kind regards

i'm currently using airVPN and i'm getting a DNS leak as per ipleak.net . i've tried the netherlands and german servers. I tried ipleak using IPVanish and no leaks. It's worth mentioning i forwarded 1 port on air VPN to allow transmission torrent client to use thta port. I'm on pi OS on a raspberry pi 5. is there some guide a novice could follow for setting static IP and DNS on pi OS?

@salvialight

Hello!

Please note that you resurrected an 8 years old thread. Many things have changed in the meantime.

The alleged problem heavily depends on the DNS management of the software you run to connect. In general, WireGuard, Eddie (the Air software client) and the AirVPN Suite for Linux do that, while OpenVPN does not. Note: if your system runs systemd-resolved only Eddie 2.23.1 and newer versions added full support with proper DNS management for every systemd-resolved working mode. For manual DNS setup purposes, since you mention Pi OS we guess that it's the latest Pi OS based on Ubuntu 22/23, so you can consult Ubuntu, or general Linux, and systemd-resolved guides on DNS settings.

Also note that only with the introduction of some new systemd-resolved "on link" working modes the "DNS leaks" plague entered the Linux world, while previously it was a Windows-only pest. Before systemd-resolved specific working modes were activated by default in various distributions, DNS leaks did not exist in Linux. it seems no accident that shady pestilence spreaders who infect Linux with endemic Windows plagues then end up hired by Microsoft.

Kind regards

yea so i just tried to wipe my SD card clean and do a fresh install of pi OS on my raspberry pi 5, do all the update+upgrade stuff, and see if installing the Eddie GUI client in that context will work. Same problem - it installs, i run it, asks for password authentication, loads up the initialization graphic, and then opens the main window but the window is just blacked out. I can't close it or do anything from that point on. my pi OS is debian bookworm 12.4. i'd love to get airvpn working with one of your suggested methods (eddie or open VPN suite), but eddie doesn't work and the openVPN suite is too advanced for my level. I have no idea what to do with those files that are downloaded

anyway, i got rid of pi OS, installed ubuntu desktop 23.1, and eddie installed and works just fine. port forwarding worked, and no DNS leaks! i tried to figure out setting up wireguard on pi OS also, but that is a bit beyond my abilities lol

5 hours ago, salvialight said:

anyway, i got rid of pi OS, installed ubuntu desktop 23.1, and eddie installed and works just fine. port forwarding worked, and no DNS leaks! i tried to figure out setting up wireguard on pi OS also, but that is a bit beyond my abilities lol

Hello!

Should you need to install WireGuard in the future on a Raspberry Pi OS, consider that it's a Ubuntu based system, so you can handle the matter just like you would do in Ubuntu. Proceed to install WireGuard components:
sudo apt install wireguard
WireGuard userspace utilities will be installed too, so you can then proceed with our instructions starting from step 2:
https://airvpn.org/linux/wireguard/terminal/

Kind regards

5 hours ago, Staff said:

Hello!

Should you need to install WireGuard in the future on a Raspberry Pi OS, consider that it's a Ubuntu based system, so you can handle the matter just like you would do in Ubuntu. Proceed to install WireGuard components:

WireGuard userspace utilities will be installed too, so you can then proceed with our instructions starting from step 2:

Kind regards

I actually did try to do this, including renaming the file. It was giving me some error saying something is wrong with one of the IP addresses in the config file. I can post what the error was some time if i go back to trying it.

11 hours ago, Staff said:

Hello!

Kind regards

you can see attached the error i get when i try that wireguard method in pi OS

20240201_15h22m28s_grim.png

@salvialight

Hello!

You need to install resolvconf. We're not sure it's available for your Ubuntu / Pi OS version in the official repositories though. Worth a try:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install resolvconf
wg-quick runs resolvconf to manage DNS properly.

Side note: please send text and not screenshots whenever possible (in your previous message you could just copy and paste the text in the terminal).

Kind regards

50 minutes ago, Staff said:
@salvialight

Hello!

You need to install resolvconf. We're not sure it's available for your Ubuntu / Pi OS version in the official repositories though. Worth a try:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install resolvconf
wg-quick runs resolvconf to manage DNS properly.

Side note: please send text and not screenshots whenever possible (in your previous message you could just copy and paste the text in the terminal).

Kind regards

well, that worked! the wireguard VPN is connected. however once i forwarded a port and configured transmission torrent client to use that port, i started getting DNS leaks. So, i guess you were right about whatever the OS is using to manage the DNS being messed up. I'll go back to ubuntu and use the eddie client, because that was working properly with no DNS leaks even with forwarded port.