Not connected, Your IP: 3.138.122.4
Sign in to follow this  
madrat

ANSWERED Will not connect to anything "Yahoo"

Om macOS Sonoma 14.3. So in the past 4 or 5 days, I've been unable to connect to Yahoo.ca, Yahoo.com, Yahoo Mail, etc, etc and also Yahoo incoming mail server works, but not outgoing. I'm at a loss as to why this started happening all of a sudden and have been trying to figure out the problem for days now. Once I exit out of Eddie 2.22.2, everything Yahoo starts working again. Any ideas?

Eddie Jan23, 2024

1 hour ago, madrat said:

Om macOS Sonoma 14.3. So in the past 4 or 5 days, I've been unable to connect to Yahoo.ca, Yahoo.com, Yahoo Mail, etc, etc and also Yahoo incoming mail server works, but not outgoing. I'm at a loss as to why this started happening all of a sudden and have been trying to figure out the problem for days now. Once I exit out of Eddie 2.22.2, everything Yahoo starts working again. Any ideas?

Eddie Jan23, 2024 59.86 kB · 1 download

image.thumb.png.8a1fe438d0f7002179221867b0b233f9.png

14 hours ago, madrat said:

image.thumb.png.8a1fe438d0f7002179221867b0b233f9.png

No idea if this would be any help or not. Anyone understand this stuff. This is info from the "unable to connect" page.
image.thumb.png.073b70bc7cc0266915e7cebebfd6d016.png

20 hours ago, madrat said:

Eddie Jan23, 2024 59.86 kB · 4 downloads

Beats me! Tried using experimental Eddie v2.23.2, but made no difference. Can connect to any other site no problem, except for Yahoo. Any ideas are welcome!

2 hours ago, madrat said:

Beats me! Tried using experimental Eddie v2.23.2, but made no difference. Can connect to any other site no problem, except for Yahoo. Any ideas are welcome!

So, installed 2.21.8 and now I'm once again able to connect to the Yahoo sites. No idea why. Will keep you posted whether it stays that way or not.

1 hour ago, madrat said:

So, installed 2.21.8 and now I'm once again able to connect to the Yahoo sites. No idea why. Will keep you posted whether it stays that way or not.
 Had to reboot and after reboot, I could once again no longer reach any Yahoo site. Very frustrating! I can still reach any other web site.

Eddie Jan 24, 2024

13 hours ago, xmartymcflyx said:

Many servers fail to connect, check if you're using one of those servers and switch to another that works: https://airvpn.org/routes/?q=www.yahoo.com

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try many different servers before with no luck. After going to the link you provided, the server I'm connected to right now, is apparently one that says will connect to Yahoo, but it does not. I've tried all kinds of things. The fact that Mail will connect to incoming Yahoo server but not outgoing server, is also a puzzle.

On 1/25/2024 at 7:24 AM, madrat said:
On 1/24/2024 at 5:34 PM, xmartymcflyx said:

Many servers fail to connect, check if you're using one of those servers and switch to another that works: https://airvpn.org/routes/?q=www.yahoo.com

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try many different servers before with no luck. After going to the link you provided, the server I'm connected to right now, is apparently one that says will connect to Yahoo, but it does not. I've tried all kinds of things. The fact that Mail will connect to incoming Yahoo server but not outgoing server, is also a puzzle.

I switched to another VPN provider, but didn't like it nearly as much as AIR, so here I am back again, but still have the same "Yahoo" lack of connection problems, and still have no idea why. The mystery continues. Is Sherlock Holmes not a member?

So, interestingly enough, I tried one more time using the link that was suggested to me. I tried two servers that said they connected to Yahoo.com, that did not actually connect. Then I tried a third server that showed that it also connected to Yahoo.com. This time it did connect. So, why out of 3 servers that said they had a connection to Yahoo.ca, did only one of those let me connect?

5 hours ago, Staff said:
@madrat

Hello!

Can you give us the name of those servers you can't access yahoo.com from?

Kind regards

Well, Nahn was working for the last few days, but once I started switching to other servers to test them and switched back to Nahn, now it doesn't work again. None of Pisces, Telescopium, Titiwan or Sham will connect to Yahoo at the moment. Now I'm back where I started! I will continue to test other servers. If I find one that works, I'll let you know.

7 minutes ago, madrat said:

Well, Nahn was working for the last few days, but once I started switching to other servers to test them and switched back to Nahn, now it doesn't work again. None of Pisces, Telescopium, Titiwan or Sham will connect to Yahoo at the moment. Now I'm back where I started! I will continue to test other servers. If I find one that works, I'll let you know.

Unfortunately, does not appear any of them will connect to Yahoo at the moment. I also tried Lacerta, Agena, Hercules, Ginan and Indus.

23 minutes ago, madrat said:

Hello!

We have just tested Nahn, Pisces, Telescopium, Titawin and Sham. https://yahoo.com is perfectly reachable from all of them. The connections were performed via WireGuard and the VPN DNS (10.128.0.1) correctly resolves the name. No block of any kind has been detected. More and more it sounds like your own local problem, let's see the feedback from other users. Note that in the route checker, "301" is correct (although it is questionable that the checker displays it with a red token), as yahoo.com replies "moved permanently" to ca.yahoo.com (re-direction is fine).

Kind regards

3 minutes ago, Staff said:

Hello!

We have just tested Nahn, Pisces, Telescopium, Titawin and Sham. https://yahoo.com is perfectly reachable from all of them. The connections were performed via WireGuard and the VPN DNS (10.128.0.1) correctly resolves the name. No block of any kind has been detected. More and more it sounds like your own local problem, let's see the feedback from other users.

Kind regards

Any idea what local problems I might look into? The thing is, up until 2 weeks ago, there was never a problem. Not sure what might have changed.

3 minutes ago, madrat said:

Any idea what local problems I might look into? The thing is, up until 2 weeks ago, there was never a problem. Not sure what might have changed.

Hello!

With the current information unfortunately we can't say what you should look into. Try to open a ticket and investigate together with the support team. Let them know your Operating System, the browser you run, the software you use to connect to VPN servers... probably they will ask you for even more info in an attempt to understand the cause of the problem.

Kind regards

On 1/30/2024 at 8:48 AM, Staff said:

Hello!

With the current information unfortunately we can't say what you should look into. Try to open a ticket and investigate together with the support team. Let them know your Operating System, the browser you run, the software you use to connect to VPN servers... probably they will ask you for even more info in an attempt to understand the cause of the problem.

Kind regards

I would like to thank the support team for the time they spent figuring out this problem for me. It is much appreciated. I'm going to copy and paste there solution for any other not so techy users in the hope that it might help someone else. Cheers!!

"It's the VPN DNS which resolves yahoo.com into 0.0.0.0, due to some anti ads block list you activated. The lists are not compiled by AirVPN but the decision makes sense to block Yahoo ads. You may add an exception for yahoo.com:
- log your account in to the airvpn.org website
- open the "Client Area" > "DNS" panel
- click "+" in the "Custom answers" section
- in the "Match" field type "yahoo.com"
- set the "Mode" combo box to "contain"
- set the action to "Allow"
- the modification should be enforced in a matter of seconds even to your active connections, but if it is not simply disconnect and re-connect

The specific block list which blocks various yahoo.com
 subdomains is the OISD Full which is also replicated in part in our suggested list "Ads and trackers". It makes sense as Yahoo tries to serve ads and operates trackers.