Not connected, Your IP: 13.58.60.192
Sign in to follow this  
CarlitoBonito

ANSWERED Forwarded ports leads to connection timeout!

Hey,

Just opened a port and if I "test open" it then I get a connection timeout. Using TCP + UDP + IPv4/6 + Device: All devices. Do I have to free up the port at my router as well? Using a fritzbox. 

If I check with canyouseeme I get an error as well. Status is stealth of the port on GRC. So how do I open the port? I also don't get any uploads while using torrents.

Cheers.

10 minutes ago, CarlitoBonito said:

Hey,

Just opened a port and if I "test open" it then I get a connection timeout. Using TCP + UDP + IPv4/6 + Device: All devices. Do I have to free up the port at my router as well? Using a fritzbox. 

If I check with canyouseeme I get an error as well. Status is stealth of the port on GRC. So how do I open the port? I also don't get any uploads while using torrents.

Cheers.

Hello!

If the listening program runs behind the Fritz!Box router and it's the router the one device that connects to the VPN, then you need to forward packets properly from the Fritz!Box VPN interface to the final destination, because the VPN server forwards to your node, i.e the F!Box, and doesn't know anything about other devices behind the connected node, of course. This is an example of what you need to do in systems where iptables is available:
https://airvpn.org/forums/topic/9270-how-to-forward-ports-in-dd-wrt-tomato-with-iptables/

The above is not necessary if the listening program runs in the same device which also connects to the VPN.

Kind regards

So, AirVPN runs on my normal desktop. The f!box is connected to my desktop and, well, the "internet". I installed AirVPN on my desktop and opened the port in the f!box UI which I also opened under "client area! on the AirVPN website. That doesn't work. So it's all on the same device, except the f!box. 

Do I have to add rules to the VPN(IPSec) or VPN(WireGuard) sections from my f!box?

I've no idea what "iptables" are and dont know what a DNAT is. I hoped this is easier :D

Hello!

So the listening program runs

2 hours ago, CarlitoBonito said:

So, AirVPN runs on my normal desktop. The f!box is connected to my desktop and, well, the "internet". I installed AirVPN on my desktop and opened the port in the f!box UI which I also opened under "client area! on the AirVPN website. That doesn't work. So it's all on the same device, except the f!box. 

Do I have to add rules to the VPN(IPSec) or VPN(WireGuard) sections from my f!box?

I've no idea what "iptables" are and dont know what a DNAT is. I hoped this is easier :D

Hello!

So the device running the listening program is also the device connecting to the VPN. In this setup you must not forward the port on the router and you must not add VPN rules on the router. Please check here first: https://airvpn.org/faq/port_forwarding/
If the listening program is a torrent program also read here: https://airvpn.org/faq/p2p/

Kind regards

Thanks for the answer. I tried the steps listed above but it's sadly not working. For a brief moment a port was open but it's not available anymore. I didn't change anything on the router. Just went to the client area and requested an open port. Got it but it's not available. There is always a connection timeout message and also sites like canyouseeme cant seem to find the open port or report it as being in stealth mode.

6 minutes ago, CarlitoBonito said:

For a brief moment a port was open but it's not available anymore. I didn't change anything on the router.

Hello!

Why do you mention the router again? The router would not enter into play in this case of port forwarding because you wrote that the connection is established from a computer behind the router, not by the router. Can you confirm this?

Kind regards