Not connected, Your IP: 18.224.149.242
dersik

Eddie client ui unable to start on Raspberry pi, stops on "Initialize UI"

Posted ... (edited)

Hello,
I have a problem with starting eddie client on raspberry pi 5 4gb with Raspberry Pi OS (64-bit), Kernel version: 6.1, Debian version: 12 (bookworm)

When i start client from terminal it stops on:

xxx@xxx-pi:~ $ eddie-ui --clie
. 2024.01.08 12:12:28 - Eddie version: 2.21.8 / linux_aarch64, System: Linux, Name: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm), Version: 12 (bookworm), Mono/.Net: 6.8.0.105 (Debian 6.8.0.105+dfsg-3.3 Wed Dec 14 11:30:18 UTC 2022); Framework: v4.0.30319
. 2024.01.08 12:12:28 - Command line arguments (3): path.resources="/usr/share/eddie-ui" path.exec="/usr/bin/eddie-ui" clie="True"
. 2024.01.08 12:12:28 - Raise system privileges
. 2024.01.08 12:12:35 - Profile options not found, using defaults.
. 2024.01.08 12:12:37 - OpenVPN - Version: 2.6.3 - OpenSSL 3.0.11 19 Sep 2023, LZO 2.10 (/usr/sbin/openvpn)
. 2024.01.08 12:12:37 - SSH - Version: OpenSSH_9.2p1 Debian-2+deb12u2, OpenSSL 3.0.11 19 Sep 2023 (/usr/bin/ssh)
. 2024.01.08 12:12:37 - SSL - Version: Initializing (/usr/bin/stunnel4)
. 2024.01.08 12:12:37 - curl - Version: 7.88.1 (/usr/bin/curl)
..and client freezing as in the picture :(

I installed and removed and installed again client (arm64/debian) many times from this link https://airvpn.org/linux/eddie/ from terminal according to the instruction and it still can't run.

I searched the forums and did not find a solution to my problem :(

airvpn.png

Edited ... by dersik

@dersik

Hello!

The problem is under the attention of Eddie's developer. To start Eddie without GUI, please note the "--clie" typo. The correct option is "--cli". You might still experience problems, even without the GUI, but it's worth a test.
Do you need to connect over WireGuard or OpenVPN?

Kind regards

Thank you for your answer and help.

I finally checked the servers on the Windows client and connected manually from the terminal:

sudo eddie-cli -login=*login* -password=*password -connect -server=*server* -netlock

Is it possible to connect only the bittorrent client via VPN? After starting the client, everything is tunneled and I would like only the bittorrent client to use it. I was looking for a solution in the eddie client manual but I didn't find anything.

When I download something via P2P, a message appears in the terminal every few minutes:

. 2024.01.14 13:13:31 - OpenVPN > AEAD Decrypt error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #18854478 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings

what kind of error is this and is my connection secure?

@dersik

Hello!

Eddie doesn't support traffic splitting on an application basis, we're sorry. This feature is available in the AirVPN Suite 2 preview versions for x86-64 based Linux systems. A build for ARM 64 bit will be ready in the near future, please stay tuned:
https://airvpn.org/forums/topic/56704-linux-airvpn-suite-200-preview-available/

The Suite (which lacks a GUI that anyway you don't need) will let you use reverse traffic splitting. It's not what you aim for, because the Suite tunnels everything except what you run outside the tunnel, while you need the "complementary" thing (i.e. tunnel nothing but one application) but it might be useful anyway.

Alternatively, containers can be considered, so that only a container traffic is tunneled.The torrent program would run in the container. Gluetun features native AirVPN support but we have never tried to build it on a Raspberry OS (did anybody tried this?) but it is possible according to documentation and some reports. Gluetun is based on Alpine for a Docker image with a very small RAM footprint.

Kind regards

Thank you very much for your help. I will try to run p2p and vpn in docker. You can close this topic

1 minute ago, dersik said:

Thank you very much for your help. I will try to run p2p and vpn in docker. You can close this topic

Hello!

Excellent, please keep us posted (moderators will keep the thread open for the readers and your valuable information on the test). Let us know whether you need help in order to build Gluetun in Raspberry OS 64 bit.

Kind regards