Not connected, Your IP: 18.118.2.15
pHxaq

ANSWERED Inactivity timeout every minute

Hello, I noticed that when I select the same server on my phone and my computer, I get both sessions disconnected every single minute (I was 2 seconds away from deleting Eddie and buying another VPN service when I realized this). 

The messages from the logs say:

OpenVPN > [ServerName] Inactivity timeout (--ping-restart), restarting
OpenVPN > SIGUSR1[soft,ping-restart] received, process restarting
OpenVPN > Restart pause, 1 second(s)
Disconnecting
Sending soft termination signal
OpenVPN > Closing TUN/TAP interface
OpenVPN > net_addr_v4_del: [Address Here] dev tun0
OpenVPN > SIGINT[hard,init_instance] received, process exiting

is this normal? Is it possible to use the same server on both my computer and my phone? or is it mandatory to have different servers selected?

Thanks.

I remember that I had this error some years ago as well. I cannot remember exactly what I changed, but I have not seen it since. You can of course connect to the same server from multiple devices, but (I think) you need to make sure that you use different devices (= keys) with your sessions when connecting simultaneously. You can create those devices under "Client Area" / "VPN Devices". Did you do that?

Posted ... (edited)

I didn't know about the VPN devices section, I will check how this works and reply if it fixes my issue.
Update: Are there any instructions on how to assign those newly created devices to the Eddie app on my phone and PC? I created 2 devices under "Client Area" / "VPN Devices" but I don't know what they do, or where/how to assign them.

Edited ... by pHxaq

1 hour ago, spinmaster said:

You can of course connect to the same server from multiple devices, but (I think) you need to make sure that you use different devices (= keys) with your sessions when connecting simultaneously. You can create those devices under "Client Area" / "VPN Devices". Did you do that?

This is correct.

1 hour ago, pHxaq said:

Update: Are there any instructions on how to assign those newly created devices to the Eddie app on my phone and PC? I created 2 devices under "Client Area" / "VPN Devices" but I don't know what they do, or where/how to assign them.

Should be straightforward: Logout and relog into Eddie so that it can repull all keys, then simply select them on the main screen.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

1 hour ago, pHxaq said:

Are there any instructions on how to assign those newly created devices to the Eddie app on my phone and PC? I created 2 devices under "Client Area" / "VPN Devices" but I don't know what they do, or where/how to assign them.

Have a look at my screenshots attached: I have three devices (MacBook, iPhone and iPad) and have created a device for each. In Eddie, select the device you created for your PC/Desktop machine. For mobile, when creating a config file (for OpenVPN or Wireguard), make sure that you select your mobile device when creating the config.

SCR-20231114-narm.png

SCR-20231114-nbbk.png

SCR-20231114-nbgl.png

Ok I found the option in my android device, but for the desktop version there's nowhere to select the key. I went through the Options also but there's no "Key" field anywhere. I am using the Arch linux version of Eddie.

eddie.thumb.png.f5742c39efbacf865efdcc67d0b6b488.png

@pHxaq

Hello!

Please log your account out and in again (in the main Eddie window) to force Eddie to re-download all keys. This procedure is mandatory each time you create a new certificate/key pair ("device"), or you renew a current one. When you re-log in, a combo box must appear under the credential fields listing all the available "devices".

Kind regards

I am able to see the Device selection dropdown after logging out and in again. I am now connected with my two devices to the same server and have not experienced any disconnection so far.
Appreciate your help y'all.

Thanks!