Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.163.58
Sign in to follow this  
NcGWlvd42HtfcBMj5VKZhK

ANSWERED [RESOLVED] Adblock doesn't work with Eddie Android Edition

• Android 13
  • Eddie Android Edition 3.0 (APK directly from eddie.website)
  • OpenVPN

Eddie Android Edition 3.0 ignores DNS lists. AirVPN DNS servers are used, but DNS lists are not applied. Is this done on purpose, so the app is allowed on the Google Play Store?

Hello!

Due to Android limitations enforced on the device owner (no root privileges on "not-rooted" devices), AdBlock can not set firewall rules to block ads sources. To circumvent this limitation, Adblock uses a VPN to achieve the purpose. It's the VPN which filters out the ads. However, another Android limitation in the VPNService API allows only one VPN at a time (this is a general limitation on other systems without multiple routing table etc.). Therefore it's not possible to run AdBlock and another VPN program at the same time.

You may reproduce with a very good approximation Adblock behavior by enabling the DNS block lists we offer (included in any subscription). You can examine them and enable them in your AirVPN account panel "Client Area" > "DNS". Once you have enabled them. by using VPN DNS you will have a protection against ads, trackers and many malicious sources.

Kind regards

OP here, sorry for creating yet another forum account. Turns out I did not save the password for the first one.

2 hours ago, Staff said:

Due to Android limitations enforced on the device owner (no root privileges on "not-rooted" devices), AdBlock can not set firewall rules to block ads sources. To circumvent this limitation, Adblock uses a VPN to achieve the purpose. It's the VPN which filters out the ads. However, another Android limitation in the VPNService API allows only one VPN at a time (this is a general limitation on other systems without multiple routing table etc.). Therefore it's not possible to run AdBlock and another VPN program at the same time.

I am aware of the mentioned Android limitations. You probably misunderstood my post. I am not trying to run any adblock app.

2 hours ago, Staff said:

You may reproduce with a very good approximation Adblock behavior by enabling the DNS block lists we offer (included in any subscription). You can examine them and enable them in your AirVPN account panel "Client Area" > "DNS". Once you have enabled them. by using VPN DNS you will have a protection against ads, trackers and many malicious sources.

I have DNS block lists enabled. They work just fine on my desktop, but do not with Eddie Android Edition.

@XUCc95zVolO3uUqocjCMrg

Hello!

Yes, definitely misunderstood. Please make sure that you connect with the key linked to the DNS lists (Eddie Android edition lets you pick which "device" you want to use, and our service lets you select which "devices" must have DNS block lists active) and that Eddie Android uses VPN DNS. If those conditions are already met and the problem persists please do not hesitate to open a ticket because it would be a matter for the developers.

Kind regards