Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.187.103
parack

Google domains cannot be reached

Android with airvpn on router using Airvpn DNS.  WiFi status "limited connection" for all tested airvpn servers.  WiFi status "No Internet" for NL servers.  Internet is however fine.  Presumably Android cannot connect to Google server to validate WiFi connection.

I got it working by using both IPv4 and IPv6 IPs on a NL server, Google will then load under IPv6.
Hope this helps to solve the issue.

Hello

All of you that can't access Google, do you have all DNS lists enabled on your AirVPN account?

Can you try to do the following:

Uncheck the following DNS lIsts on your AirVPN account:

1: GoodbyeAds
2: GoodbyeAds Samsung
3: GoodbyeAds Spotify
4: 
GoodbyeAds Xiaomi
5: GoodbyeAds YouTube

Can you access Google now?

I'm also having problems reaching some google domains. While google.com seems to be blocked, google.de works. I tried multiple german servers plus swiss Kitalpha, all the same. I have no block lists enabled.

nslookup www.google.com sometimes results in 142.251.36.36, which is not reachable. Could it be a caching problem with the AirVPN DNS-servers?

@never had those enabled and still have the issue. Matter of fact I have the issue even with all custom dns list from airvpn disabled. Issue is so weird. Two browsers using the same vpn connection and dns. One might be able to connect to google and the other not. After a while which browser connects might switch. 

Again, this might be something related to Eddie and DNS cache, as I cannot reproduce with native OpenVPN plain install.
When this happens, try to flush your local DNS resolver cache and then to a hard refresh or close and start again web browser. We now need to determine if this is somehow related to the local DNS cache.

It happens to too many users on too many servers, there has to be some small bug somewhere.

I'm not using Eddie. An OpenWrt-VM and a Debian-Installation, both with Wireguard-Clients, show the same behavior since about 10 days.

Posted ... (edited)

Using Android with airvpn on the router so no Eddie.  Using AirVPN NL server now only sometimes says no internet (false, internet fine) but still saying limited connectivity (false).  Can access google.com fine.  No issues with Windows or IOS.  Maybe the android call out to Google servers to assess the WiFI connection is not working correctly due to NL dns?

PS:  Tried resetting Android network settings.  No change 

Edited ... by Nullformed2

Posted ... (edited)

Flushing the local cache didn't make any difference in my case. No blocklists active either. Using Eddie and not using IPv6.

Edited ... by max andreae

It seems that it is a routing problem with AirVPN. As I stated earlier, google.com sometimes resolves to an IP in the 142.25x range. Right now it was 142.250.179.196, yesterday 142.251.36.36. Both are part of AS15169 and not reachable through AirVPN (Mirfak, Kitalpha), but directly through my ISP.

This is getting a serious and very annoying problem for me.

You are correct, it's a DNS problem. Google's authoritative servers (or at least some of them) do not respond to queries sent by AirVPN exit IP addresses.
I can browse google and use all google services just fine but I am using a different setup: AirVPN on router + a local instance of unbound that forwards the requests to Google DNS resolvers (connecting to them via the AirVPN server IP so still maintaining my privacy) but the query comes from Google DNS servers, so it resolves well, I use unbound as forwarder not local resolver.

I don't know why this happens, what triggered this annoying protection, or what the ideal solution is here, because obviously each VPN server wants to have its own DNS resolvers for connecting clients...

I'm quite sure it is not a DNS problem, but a routing/peering/blocking problem. The name resolution for the Google domains works fine over AirVPN, but Google servers in the ip range 142.250.0.0 -142.251.255.255 are not reachable. Do a traceroute or try to ping e.g. 142.251.36.36.

I am forcing by pfsense all the clients to use Google dns and the problems are gone.
It persists when using the airvpn dns Which I prefere .
It also doesn't matter what country I choose anymore .

2 hours ago, max andreae said:

@Doesi -- I can at least ping some resolved IP's in that range.

Correct, not all IPs in the mentioned IP-range are unreachable.
See attached as an example a nmap-scan just for 142.251.36.0/24, one time without VPN and one time with Adhara enabled. 3 servers are unreachable once AirVPN is enabled and that's why sometimes Google works and other times it doesn't. The results for example with swiss Kitalpha are exactly the same.

nmap over Adhara.txt nmap without VPN

I cannot ping 142.251.36.36  from AirVPN :(
But I can ping it from my normal internet ISP connection. That is rather strange...

Just wanted to relay that I have had no issues with Swiss servers so far and I am reluctant to change it since then. But it seems like the underlying issue has not been identified yet.

Posted ... (edited)
On 7/2/2023 at 2:49 PM, The_Skull said:

I got it working by using both IPv4 and IPv6 IPs on a NL server, Google will then load under IPv6.
Hope this helps to solve the issue.

This helps, or should I say helped it seemed to work with Dalim (NL Server) for a while but then stopped this morning, I found different servers work between NL, Swiss and the UK but the vast majority don't, currently connected to a working UK Server.

16 hours ago, ss11 said:

I cannot ping 142.251.36.36  from AirVPN :(
But I can ping it from my normal internet ISP connection. That is rather strange...

Same and even with google.com available I can't ping 142.251.36.36 while on any AirVPN Server, it works fine if I disconnect AirVPN.

This maybe relevant I'm using Eddie V3.0 (VC30) across 2 Android devices and one Ubuntu 20.04 (Eddie version 2.21.8) Desktop, both Android devices reach Google.com fine and they are both connected to random NL servers and neither can ping 142.251.36.36 while on VPN but have no issues pinging while off VPN.
  Edited ... by delsvpn
Updated info

Posted ... (edited)

I would like to add that I found that IP's 172.217.23.195 and 172.217.23.196 -- resolved by AirVPN DNS for google.pt and google.co.ma -- are also not reachable when connected to AirVPN (Matar) but are live on the ISP network. I am not sure about the size of the network scope involved but there may be other IP's in this /24 range as well.

Edited ... by max andreae

I think we need further help here from AirVPN staff, we need to determine if it is a peering / routing problem on our servers -- there is not much we can do about it. Even them I think have to talk at datacenter/server providers to check their bgp/routing stuff.
For example, even I cannot PING that particular Google IP address from UK server (and I can from my normal ISP connection) google services for me do not seam to be affected, so I can use it just fine.
I can imagine how annoying it is not to be able to use the services. Hopefully it's only a matter of time before this is fixed.

I'm afraid I have no idea, f you can link me a list and some general instructions I can check it out.