Not connected, Your IP: 3.146.37.35
Sign in to follow this  
tranquivox69

Eddie for Linux, unable to execute "sudo based" bash scripts in Events

Wasn't sure how to title this but the problem is this. Thanks to incredibly helpful users here, I'm trying to have split tunnel working in Linux (Mint 21.1).

Now, in this post a series of three scripts have been proposed, needing to be run before the session starts, after the VPN is up and after the VPN goes down when terminated.

As you can see, all scripts require elevation and ask for it in the scripts with sudo command. I spent the better part of tonight banging my head against the wall because the scripts did not seem to work. But then I tried executing through cli (a "frankenstein" experiment, but it provided info) and I saw that the scripts where actually asking for elevation even when executed by the Eddie application. But I have the eddie-elevated.service running, so why is this happening?

Is there a way to run such scripts using Events, without the scripts halting while waiting for elevation "behind the scenes" (as, when run through GUI, there are no messages indicating that they are not completing)?

Those scripts expect your user ID to be able to "sudo" without a prompt. In Debian you can set this up by running the following as root:

echo "user_name  ALL = NOPASSWD: ALL" > /etc/sudoers.d/allow_user_name
chmod 0440 /etc/sudoers.d/allow_user_name
Replace "user_name" with the user ID.  Use "man sudo.conf" and poke around in /etc to see where the config files for sudo are. You may have to modify that.

Some people may feel that is too broad. Ubuntu does this by default. Or used to anyway.

Thanks NaDre, as mentioned in the other thread I came up with a similar solution but thanks again!!!

I suppose the question remains, though. There's a service running to make Eddie elevated without needing to input password, why does that not work for scripts launched through Eddie?

1 hour ago, tranquivox69 said:

Thanks NaDre, as mentioned in the other thread I came up with a similar solution but thanks again!!!

I suppose the question remains, though. There's a service running to make Eddie elevated without needing to input password, why does that not work for scripts launched through Eddie?

Hello!

It's a security feature. The GUI does not run with root privileges and any event based script or software will not be automatically run as root, so your attack surface is not enlarged. It's your own responsibility, as a system administrator, to decide whether a script or software run by Eddie GUI (or any other software running without root privileges) must gain root privileges or not.

Kind regards