Not connected, Your IP: 3.141.244.201
meanderling

Eddie regularly can't complete IPv4 test or hangs when I turn on the Network Lock

Hi,

Almost every time I reboot my computer I have issues with Eddie running. I end up having to do a variety of things to get it to work, ranging from rebooting to logging out to uninstalling Eddie and then reinstalling it. Eddie either can't complete IPv4 test or Eddie becomes unresponsive when I turn on the Network Lock (I have to open System Monitor and kill mono to get the program to close). I realize that the IPv4 and the Network Lock issues may not be related, but it is always one or the other.

Here's some system details:

Eddie version: 2.21.8
Eddie OS build: linux_x64
Eddie architecture: x64
OS type: Linux
OS name: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS

I'm happy to look in the logs if someone can point me towards what I should look for.

Thanks!

Provide a system report:Preferably right after you encounter one of the problems.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Almost every time I restart my computer, when I open Eddie and then click on the "Activate Network Lock" button Eddie hangs and I have to use System Monitor to kill Mono. (If I kill eddie-ui, then eddie-tray persists. If I also kill eddie-tray, it restarts. Only killing mono, gets everything to close.) After that point, there is something going on with iptables or nft, and when I re-enable ufw and then check the status of the firewall, I get a "ERROR: problem running ip6tables" message. So, then I have to reboot and I go through this cycle several times before Eddie will successfully activate Network Lock.

I have used Eddie for years without having this problem, but it seems to have begun around the beginning of the year. I'm using Ubuntu 22.04.02 LTS and have the same issue across multiple devices. Pulling a system report is useless after I try activating Network Lock, because there is not information from the previous session (when Eddie hangs/locked up), because once I restart Eddie there is no log from the previous session.

A system report directly after Eddie hangs during the "Activate Network Block" process is pointless, I think. None of the reporting of the session during the hang is available after the application is killed.

1 hour ago, meanderling said:

A system report directly after Eddie hangs during the "Activate Network Block" process is pointless, I think. None of the reporting of the session during the hang is available after the application is killed.

Hello!

Try to log on file and let's see whether some entry on the file which can provide for some clue is written before the "hang". You can configure Eddie to log on file in the "Preferences" > "Log" window. Then reproduce the issue and finally read the file with any text editor (and feel free to send it, of course).

Kind regards

Hello!

From your description, and assuming that it's not an IPv6 related problem (make sure that your system supports it) we suspect an old problem occurring with "translations" in some Linux systems which run with nftables but by default do not have the userspace utility nft. In such cases, both Eddie and the Suite fall back to iptables utilities, which are in turn linked to iptables-nftables or similar utilities to translate rules etc. for the new netfilter environment. We found that the translation process has a subtle bug which might cause serious problems to Eddie. (*)

You can't renounce at the moment to the translation burden because, as far as we know, ufw does not support nftables, but you can at least have Eddie use nft directly.

Please check whether you have nft in your command path and if not, install it (usually you can install nft utility by installing the complete nftables package, example sudo apt install nftables ).

Once nft is available, Eddie will use it and if the problem were the one we mentioned above, it should get resolved. There might still be potential problems caused by the fact that ufw will keep using iptables syntax with custom chains, but Eddie will save the system rules and restore them (respectively when Network Lock is turned on and off) in nft format. If that's a problem too, try to disable completely ufw before you start Eddie, and re-start ufw only after Eddie has been shut down.

Please keep us posted at your convenience.

Kind regards

(*) Eddie 2.22.2 takes into account this "translation bug" and features new code which should resolve it.

What has been working best for me, is to check/use the "Activate Network Lock as startup" setting. I haven't had a problem with Eddie hanging on the Activate Network Lock since then. I have had the IPv4 test issue, but that resolves if I restart Eddie.