Not connected, Your IP: 44.212.39.149
zsam288

[IMPLEMENTED] [proposal] GoodbyeAds

I added this to my adlists and will test it for a time.

This would replace StevenBlack, by the way.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

On 2/5/2023 at 6:49 PM, OpenSourcerer said:

I added this to my adlists and will test it for a time.

This would replace StevenBlack, by the way.

Do you know if we can add custom ad-lists in airvpn on a user level?
Or only per domain customs?

5 hours ago, zsam288 said:

Do you know if we can add custom ad-lists in airvpn on a user level?
Or only per domain customs?

Only the latter, yes. :)

I'm using it right now and finding it to be a good addition to the other lists. Does not introduce breakages as far as I can see.

On 3/16/2023 at 11:13 PM, OpenSourcerer said:

I'm using it right now and finding it to be a good addition to the other lists. Does not introduce breakages as far as I can see.

Thanks for testing this, do you know when it will be added to AirVPN please if deemed ok?

9 hours ago, zsam288 said:

do you know when it will be added to AirVPN please if deemed ok?

It's not like the intention to add this is "developing", or "growing naturally in the forest", and has an ETA. If a Staff member feels like it, it will be added.
It's also not like there's a threatening dependence on that list being available, so it'll have to wait, probably. :)

On 3/29/2023 at 2:18 PM, zsam288 said:

Thanks for testing this, do you know when it will be added to AirVPN please if deemed ok?

Hello!

We have brought the lists in and we will be testing them very soon. In this case some care in testing is needed because we're talking about 900'000 records (6 lists made of ~150k records each). If everything goes well you will have them available in the DNS panel at the end of the next week or so.

Kind regards

Posted ... (edited)

Superb! I find the list to be more broad and effective than Steven Black's. To my surprise, the tracker googletagmanager.com in the Steven Black one (it only has www.googletagmanger.com). This one has googletagmangaer.com as a domain, which allows all subdomains to ddbe filtered.

On the general topic of ad blocking, it would be great if AirVPN can be as effective as a pihole or a general  network-wide ad blocker. The current lists AirVPN provide do not collectively achieve this.

Edited ... by alternate
Add a note on the topic of ad blocking with AirVPN

On 4/15/2023 at 11:11 AM, Staff said:

Hello!

We have brought the lists in and we will be testing them very soon. In this case some care in testing is needed because we're talking about 900'000 records (6 lists made of ~150k records each). If everything goes well you will have them available in the DNS panel at the end of the next week or so.

Kind regards

Any updates so far ?

@alternate

Hello!

We're sorry for the several additional days we scheduled for the tests. We're still testing, given the size. We want to be sure they don't cause issues. Besides a syntax error in the list pushed us to verify the good parsing during the import. When we're sure that all is fine, GoodbyeAds will be added as the community feedback on it is very good.

Kind regards

Hello!

We added five lists in our system:

GoodbyeAds
A programmatically expanded list of hosts used for advertisements, Malware and tracking. Use this list to block ads trackers malwares.
Items: 200489 (as of today)

GoodbyeAds Samsung
A well maintained list containing Samsung hosts used for advertisements and tracking. Those who are not using GoodbyeAds list and want to block only Samsung ads and tracking can use it.
Items: 103 (as of today)

GoodbyeAds Spotify
A well maintained list containing Spotify hosts used for advertisements. This list helps to block/reduce Spotify ads.
Items: 3774 (as of today)

GoodbyeAds Xiaomi
A well maintained list containing Xiaomi hosts used for advertisements and tracking. Those who are not using GoodbyeAds list and want to block only Xiaomi ads and tracking can use it.
Items: 279 (as of today)

GoodbyeAds YouTube
A well maintained list containing YouTube hosts used for advertisements. This list helps to block/reduce YouTube ads.
Items: 97645 (as of today)

Kind regards

*edit* I just checked their current "ultra" list myself and they do not have this "validation-image" blocked either.. feel free to ignore

@Staffthanks for adding this list. I activated it in DNS settings, but visiting their github page I found under "Validation" their test picture is still loaded..

Below is an image that says 'Not Blocking' that is blocked in all of my lists. If you see it, then you are not using one of my lists. If you do not see it, then you are using one of my lists (or a list that includes one of my lists).