Not connected, Your IP: 3.12.162.179
cheetoh

Why would I need a Proxy server/service with AirV

Why would I need a Proxy server/service with AirVPN?

Hello!

The main reason to tunnel over OpenVPN over a proxy is hiding your real IP address even to our servers even while you are connected.

Kind regards

1) Sry for noob network security q's but am I assuming correctly that ANY IP addy coming out of AirVPN servers to/as my computer IP is COMPLETELY masked and undetectable to anyone but AirVPN personnel-albeit even for a short time? (not including my ISP of course which obviously can intercept any traffic via court order or whatever)

2) That said, "hiding your real IP address even to our servers even while you are connected" seems to imply that I would need to do this in case something happened and my IP was made discoverable by nefarious means of some sort. I understand no system is infallible and any extra security is good security. Is you recommendation simply for the extra security layer?

3) I use torrents a lot so my understanding is TOR is not the best choice. What/where is THE optimum setup/walkthrough for me.

4) Finally, I noticed right-clicking "preferences" in the AirVPN icon in taskbar brings up a "Proxy" option type. Is this only configured when a third-party proxy is used by me (IE: TOR) and should I leave it set for time being at: None/127.0.0.1/port 9050 respectively?

1) Sry for noob network security q's but am I assuming correctly that ANY IP addy coming out of AirVPN servers to/as my computer IP is COMPLETELY masked and undetectable to anyone but AirVPN personnel-albeit even for a short time? (not including my ISP of course which obviously can intercept any traffic via court order or whatever)

Hello!

Court order or not, your traffic can't be decrypted by your ISP when you're connected to our servers.

2) That said, "hiding your real IP address even to our servers even while you are connected" seems to imply that I would need to do this in case something happened and my IP was made discoverable by nefarious means of some sort. I understand no system is infallible and any extra security is good security. Is you recommendation simply for the extra security layer?

Exactly. You might like to read here to understand which powerful adversaries our service can defeat and which not:

https://airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=54&limit=6&limitstart=6&Itemid=142#1745

Normally adversaries like governments and criminal organizations do not have the power to defeat the service (if used correctly).

3) I use torrents a lot so my understanding is TOR is not the best choice. What/where is THE optimum setup/walkthrough for me.

You should use no proxy at all. Please see here for p2p performance optimization:

https://airvpn.org/faq#p2p

4) Finally, I noticed right-clicking "preferences" in the AirVPN icon in taskbar brings up a "Proxy" option type. Is this only configured when a third-party proxy is used by me (IE: TOR) and should I leave it set for time being at: None/127.0.0.1/port 9050 respectively?

Yes, if you don't run any proxy, leave it to "None".

Kind regards

"Court order or not, your traffic can't be decrypted by your ISP when you're connected to our servers"

I thought an ISP can see EVERYTHING if need be (via local court order)? After all, their modem, cable in my case, routes all-regardless of encryption, no?

"Court order or not, your traffic can't be decrypted by your ISP when you're connected to our servers"

I thought an ISP can see EVERYTHING if need be (via local court order)? After all, their modem, cable in my case, routes all-regardless of encryption, no?

Hello!

Of course not. One thing is routing packet, another thing is being able to know the packet payload and the real origin and destinations of packets. OpenVPN encrypts your outgoing packets before they leave your connected device and decrypts incoming packets only when they are inside it.

Your ISP can't see:

- the packets payload (content)

- the outgoing packets real destinations

- the incoming packets real origins

- the applications and protocols you use over OpenVPN

- the real source and destination ports

Your ISP can only see a flow of encrypted packets to and from one of our servers, on the same two ports.

That's the essence of a VPN.

Kind regards

How can I keep my ISP from actually knowing that I'm using a VPN? Should I switch up common ports periodically or will that help?

How can I secure AirVPN. I am currently on a trial and everything is great so far.

I'm sold if there is a way to secure AIRVPN if the connection with AIRVPN drops.

Is there a way and if so how?

How can I keep my ISP from actually knowing that I'm using a VPN? Should I switch up common ports periodically or will that help?

I'd stick with port 443. That port is probably the least "suspicious" from your ISP's perspective, because it makes it look like you just have a bunch of SSL (https://) traffic going to a single IP address. Also, since the VPN server probably isn't too well-known, your ISP might not even realize it's a VPN unless they do some deeper research.

Alternatively, you could do VPN over Tor. In that case your ISP won't have any clue that you are using a VPN, but it will be fairly obvious that you are using Tor... especially since the Tor nodes are all widely publicized (more so than VPN server addresses, anyway).

Hello!

You can't, unless you tunnel OpenVPN over a proxy or over SSL or over SSH. However there's no need to do that, VPNs are commonly used at every level, from small to big companies, from ISPs to private citizens. Virtual Private Networks are just parts of the Internet. Their usage is not only legal but usually highly recommended and sometimes also mandatory.

Kind regards

How can I secure AirVPN. I am currently on a trial and everything is great so far.

I'm sold if there is a way to secure AIRVPN if the connection with AIRVPN drops.

Is there a way and if so how?

Hello!

You can find the guides to do that in the permanent links of the announcement section of the forum. Just pick the appropriate guide according to your system.

Kind regards

How would one run the AirVPN over a proxy?

When I go to configure the files to be imported in TunnelBlick or Viscosity, there is an option to tick for Proxy. How would this work?

Also, what is "embed" in profile option there at the bottom right?

Thank you.

How would one run the AirVPN over a proxy?

When I go to configure the files to be imported in TunnelBlick or Viscosity, there is an option to tick for Proxy. How would this work?

Also, what is "embed" in profile option there at the bottom right?

Thank you.

Hello!

The configuration generator will take care of that, just select the proxy type you wish to use.

The embed option allows you to embed key and certificates together with the configuration file instead of having separate configuration, certificates and key files.

Kind regards

Okay, but is AirVPN also supplying the proxy, or?

I'm not sure I understand this step.

Hello!

We're sorry, currently we don't provide any proxy service.

Kind regards

There is a website that offers something for torrenting, it's www.torrentsecurity.com

It's through their SOCKS 5 servers.

If I subscribe to them, and use THEIR settings in the AirVPN page, will that work fine as a configuration option?

Will it make me more secure?

Will AirVPN be able to see my original IP?

Thanks again.

There is a website that offers something for torrenting, it's www.torrentsecurity.com

It's through their SOCKS 5 servers.

If I subscribe to them, and use THEIR settings in the AirVPN page, will that work fine as a configuration option?

Will it make me more secure?

Will AirVPN be able to see my original IP?

Thanks again.

Hello!

Probably so, it depends whether their proxy accepts any kind of connection or it is restricted.

Anyway, you might prefer to use TOR proxy to establish a connection over OpenVPN over TOR, in which case you would not need to subscribe to any service and you would obtain a much higher security:

https://airvpn.org/tor

Kind regards