Not connected, Your IP: 18.218.55.14
Sign in to follow this  
MidgardDragon

AirVPN and Origin?

Hello, first post here. Just started using AirVPN tonight in anticipation of the US ISPs pushing their 5 strikes policies out. Love it so far, simpler than Usenet or Tor or any of the other things I've tried to use in the past and failed (and apparently much more effective than PeerBlock).

Right now I run Steam and Origin in the background most of the time for easy access to my games. Steam seems to do great, but Origin fails to connect whenever I am connected to AirVPN, even if I choose a US server. It's a pretty shady service with lots of tracking from what I understand (EA), but typically if I am connected via the US server I am not doing anything I care about being tracked (I switch to Netherlands for that!)

Is there any way to let Origin connect while AirVPN is running, or am I stuck just turning AirVPN off whenever I want to us the non-game online features like the store?

As a followup question, is there any impact to online gaming by using AirVPN? I tried Burnout Paradise and the online worked fine, so I assume not, but I'm definitely a noob when it comes to VPN's so any info would be appreciated.

Hello!

For online gaming a very important thing is latency. You should use the server which can give you the lowest latency times.

About playing online games outside the VPN even while connected to the VPN, a little hack may help you: bind the games clients to your physical interface with ForceBindIP. Please read carefully the instructions.

http://www.r1ch.net/stuff/forcebindip

Kind regsrds

Thank you for the reply and possible solution. I think as a mostly casual torrenter without too much to hide I would be better served by just disconnected the VPN while connecting to Origin or gaming in general, but perhaps my post can help others in the future.

Thanks for the great service btw, I suspect many people will be catching wind of and using it and other VPNs once those "warnings" for the 5 strikes program start going out in the US.