Not connected, Your IP: 18.191.46.36
fuLtfWsYy3

How to automatically switch from a broken server to a working one?

I've had this issue occasionally over the years but my AirVPN use has been sporadic. However, now I'm trying to use AirVPN as a daily driver. It's been much more annoying.

Basically, what happens is OpenVPN connects to some AirVPN server which is bad. No data moves or a little moves and then stops. There's a ping-restart after two minutes and then, OpenVPN puts in the log this:

ovpn-openvpn[814]: TCP/UDP: Preserving recently used remote address: [AF_INET]x.y.z.w:443
So it keeps connecting to the same broken server, over and over. This configuration seems to make having multiple servers behind the same DNS name completely pointless.

From OpenVPN manual it seems this behavior is controlled by the persist-remote-ip option but it seems to me AirVPN has this on in the server end and I can't turn it off in the client end. So all I can do is restart OpenVPN.

Am I missing something here? It seems odd this kind of situation would happen but I haven't found any solutions. Am I in the minority, are people mostly using "Eddie" or whatever? I'm using OpenVPN 2.5.1 in Debian Linux 11. I also have to wonder how well servers are actually monitored? The server I've had issues today was Ophiuchus but there's no indication of any problem on its status page.

Does this mean the standard OpenVPN is no longer supported? Frankly I'm really not interested in the AirVPN suite. Maybe if you get it in Debian.

18 hours ago, fuLtfWsYy3 said:

Does this mean the standard OpenVPN is no longer supported? Frankly I'm really not interested in the AirVPN suite. Maybe if you get it in Debian.

Hello!

AirVPN Suite is only for Linux and Debian is the system the whole suite is built on (compiled and linked) for x86-64 architecture. The Suite is based on OpenVPN 3 AirVPN which, obviously, is fully compatible with OpenVPN 2 based servers. OpenVPN 3 AirVPN is 132 commits ahead of OpenVPN:master and resolves a myriad of bugs and malfunctions caused by OpenVPN 3 main branch.

WireGuard support is planned as well.

Please, once again, read the provided document we linked in our previous post for your comfort.

Kind regards