Not connected, Your IP: 52.203.18.65
Staff

Eddie Desktop 2.21 beta released

On 12/1/2021 at 3:36 PM, encrypted said:

So what's the advice for Debian + offshoots users when Eddie complains about NFT when booting to latest kernel (5.15.5), besides simply downgrading the kernel?

More details:

Running Mint 20 (based on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS which is based on Debian bullseye/sid) with latest mainline kernel for recent hardware support, until recently kernel 5.14.x and Eddie 2.21.1 worked just fine. Apart from the vanished panel indicator for Eddie due to Debian deprecating "libappindicator1".

With Debian and derivatives lagging in nftables adoption (the latest version available is 0.9.3-2 from Dec 2019), only iptables was available/installed and selected automatically for Network Lock.

As the mainline Linux kernel 5.14.21 became EOL I installed and booted into kernel 5.15.5  (still using Eddie 2.21.1) but it would give an iptables error and Network Lock wasn't enabled.
Seeing issues here (previous page) with Debian 11 and Arch, I installed the latest Eddie 2.21.2 (with some 'hotfix' by @Clodo included) as well as that (old) nftables package from repos and now I can boot into Linux kernel 5.15.6 with Network Lock activating.
However I now get frequent "Exception: nft issue: exit:1; err:Error: syntax error, unexpected rule, expecting string" warnings plus one case of "Fatal error occured, please contact Eddie support: Object reference not set to an instance of an object -   at Eddie.Platform.Linux.NetworkLockNftables.DeallowInterface" (similar to errors mentioned earlier in the thread).

Kernel 5.15.x (now mainline) appears to have changed something to make iptables fail under Eddie. The more 'progressive' distros can apparently switch to using nftables, but with more conservative distros (Debian, Mint, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS) nftables might not be up to the task.

Is this something AirVPN can fix with Eddie, or is the solution, for now, to simply downgrade from the mainline kernel (5.15.x) to stock 5.13.x (HWE) and hope for the best?

Let me tell you what fixed this problem for me on Deb 11.  I have been using nft tables in my OS and had Eddie configured to use "linuxnft tables" in the network lock mode setting as my preference.  Same as you I saw:  "Exception: nft issue: exit:1; err:Error: syntax error, unexpected rule, expecting string" when I tried to launch Eddie.  Believe it or not the client almost always connected BUT a few minutes later it would FREEZE/hang.  The only thing I could do is shut down the OS to disconnect.

Fix: for me was to go to Eddie's network lock preference and change the mode setting to "automatic" instead of linuxnft tables.  I have not seen this error in many weeks now since making that change.  Hope this helps anyone seeing this error on their linux systems.

15 hours ago, xero said:

I cant get 2.21.3 to work a Windows 11 machine, it always times out at Checking route IPv4. Log is attached, 2.20 works flawlessly. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Eddie_20211217_195204.txt 11.29 kB · 1 download

Not sure if this will help but in the last couple of updates I have gone into services.msc and changed the Eddie Elevation Service from manual to Automatic after reading an earlier post in this thread on that and AirVPN connects fine after that.

On 12/15/2021 at 7:23 AM, Clodo said:

This was the main objective of 2.21.3 just released, migration from old WireGuard user to latest WireGuard-NT kernel. And a fix about a bug that caused memory leak after many hours with WireGuard.

Other issues reported in this thread are under evaluation, please have patience.

Thanks for the update. Verified that the new version uses the kernel drivers and has much lesser CPU usage.

One thing I noticed is that even if I disconnect a WireGuard session via Eddie, the session still shows as active on the site (and counts as an active connection) until it eventually times out and disappears. Can this be fixed so if a session is disconnected from Eddie, the session details are also immediately removed?

Thanks.

On 12/18/2021 at 11:15 AM, bluesjunior said:
On 12/17/2021 at 8:02 PM, xero said:

I cant get 2.21.3 to work a Windows 11 machine, it always times out at Checking route IPv4. Log is attached, 2.20 works flawlessly. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Eddie_20211217_195204.txt 11.29 kB · 1 download

Not sure if this will help but in the last couple of updates I have gone into services.msc and changed the Eddie Elevation Service from manual to Automatic after reading an earlier post in this thread on that and AirVPN connects fine after that.
Thanks, but Eddie Elevation Service was already on automatic..

On 12/16/2021 at 11:39 AM, bob1324 said:

On Windows 10 pro:
I keep getting message
VPN network adapter not found
install fail (wintun)
https://i.imgur.com/O3yUOTP.jpg

On 12/16/2021 at 3:20 PM, Clodo said:

Issue identified, will be fixed in tomorrow release, please have patience.
Everything works ok now.
Openvpn and wireguard work ok.
Thanks.

So far so good as always, Mac mini i7 on Monterey 12.1! 

Those weird network errors I used to get when torrents ran at full speed seem to have completely disappeared too!

@Clodo, hope the W7 wintun issues are fixed by final release as 2.21.0 beta is only working version on a old non-aes i5 750 box.
Regards