Not connected, Your IP: 34.229.17.20
Sign in to follow this  
frisof

Netherlands VPN sometimes routed through French OVH server

I have noticed that when using the Dutch VPNs sometimes for what I think is an inexplicable reason, my traffic is routed through an OVH server in France (I have also noticed traffic to China is routed through America, but that's unrelated).
My questions are:

• Why does this happen?
  • Why are users not informed about this?
My best guess is that it could be to bypass blocks, but the places where it happens (Akamai and Amazon) don't block VPNs to my knowledge, and mysteriously it only seems to happen for a short amount of time as refreshing the page often results in traffic no longer being routed through France.
Image of this happening: https://i.imgur.com/b8qdBnC.png (The same image is attached)

airvpn.png

Posted ... (edited)
6 minutes ago, Staff said:
@frisof

Hello!

Geo-routing (aka "micro-routing") information is reported here:
https://airvpn.org/forums/forum/10-websites-support/

If some web site is not reported and you notice a geo-routing in place, a possible explanation is that the web site uses a CDN we have already "geo-routed" for some other service. Feel free to report.

Kind regards

Thanks. I thought this was the case, just wanted to make sure. After all Akamai is a CDN service, so that is what is happening. I hope revealing the IP doesn't cause any harm. Edited ... by frisof