Not connected, Your IP: 3.238.62.119
polomintus

Eddie Android Not Compatible with Nvidia Shield

Any particular reason why Eddie from the Google Play store is reporting not compatible with NVIDIA Shield TV? Would be annoying if I had to use OpenVPN client instead.

It's been doing so since at least mid-2019:I think you will need to install it manually, for example using the X-plore file manager suggested by Mr. go558a83nk.
Direct link to current APK

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Hello!

Google Play Store never approved Eddie for Android TV because it opens https://airvpn.org showing banners, according to Google. Of course this is not true (it's true that Eddie may open airvpn.org upon user's request, but it's not true that airvpn.org contains banners), but the ban is permanent for each release, so we can try to re-submit Eddie for Android TV only with a different release for the 15th time and see what happens.

Kind regards

@Staff

Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Or similar. :D

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

@OpenSourcerer

Yes, we are in an endless loop with Play Store. We submit for Android TV and it is rejected immediately (like, after a tenth of a second from the submission, it's like something set automatically to reject).

We ask for a revision and a robot answers with a ton of conditions as pre-requisites for Android TV approval, which we already knew perfectly when we designed the application.

We ask which condition is not met and a human answers that it is not allowed to open banners in an Android application. We ask which banner they talk about, and we are replied "banners in airvpn.org", with a years old screenshot, which was true years ago (the "banner" was simply the option to use that plug-in aimed at following threads more comfortably from mobile devices, we wiped it out a long ago), but not anymore since years. When we reply that it is no more true since years ago, we get silence from Google, and the app remains "incompatible with Android TV".

We repeated the whole cycle with appeals and new requests at each new versio and we always experienced the identical loop (automatic rejection, bot response, human very old, identical pre-packaged response). We guess we should start a brand new project to get out of the vicious loop, maybe, and maybe we should suppress completely the web view routines in Eddie (which would be anyway not acceptable).

Even if the banner was still in airvpn.org (which is not) then, according to the same logic, no browser should be approved for Android TV, because any browser can open a web site with a banner.

Kind regards

Not surprised with Google Play Store about the app reviewing process (Apple is the same way). The best way to get the attention of a knowledgeable actual human is blast them in Twitter and other social medias. You will get their attention quickly and will get a functioning human who knows their shits responding to you. Twitter is a great platform to get attention rather quickly. Try that? That what other Android devs did before when they are stuck in the rejected loop and it works. Also you can post it in r/Android sub, might get some attention there too.

Having discovered this issue myself, I tried to upgrade my installations of Eddie v2.4 on both of my Shields to v2.5 by sideloading the .apk.  Both of the installations fail, with the all-but-useless message that the application was not installed.  Any idea why this happens?