Not connected, Your IP: 44.200.196.114
polomintus

Torrents: Fast Downloads but very slow uploads.

Posted ... (edited)

So, I've picked a protocol, picked a port and a server that I get 200-300mbits in both directions.

Downloading from Public and Private Torrents I get 22MB/s to 30MB/s, but the uploading is really bad, unable to get above 2-5MB/s MAX. What's going on? I have opened the port within the Dashboard of AirVPN, and entered it into qBittorent, and it passes the check port test. 

When I disconnect from Eddie, my uploads shoot from 2-5MB/sec to 75MB/sec - I would expect the upload to be as good as the download ( 22MB/s to 30MB/s) unless there's something going on... 

Why am I dropping so much speed on the uploads?

Edited ... by polomintus

@polomintus

Hello!

Can you take note whether the amount of peers receiving your chunks are the same both with and without VPN? If less peers ask for data chunks when you're in the VPN, it's possible that the other part of them use black lists blocking huge IP address pools common to us and copyright trolls and/or swarm poisoners (these two groups are not necessarily distinct :) ), hence your lower upload when in the VPN.

Kind regards

Will confirm now with you. I'm testing a private torrent that was only published to a private tracker less than an hour ago which its unlikely you get poisoners on something so new but obviously doesn't rule out black lists but not sure why you would be on the black lists? because people using AirVPN to send out bad chunks?

Going to be awhile since lots of seeders all at around the 60th mark, but when I was on the VPN, I did notice about 30 users all connect with 0.00% and then suddenly all of them vanished, so not sure what that is about.

1 hour ago, polomintus said:

Going to be awhile since lots of seeders all at around the 60th mark, but when I was on the VPN, I did notice about 30 users all connect with 0.00% and then suddenly all of them vanished, so not sure what that is about.

I think they're connections in "connecting" state. Peers are what torrent clients constantly look for in trackers, DHT, PEX and LPD. If they find new clients to connect to, they are listed in those peer overviews and flagged accordingly (example: in uT/qB, H is a peer found through DHT, X is one found through PEX, etc.). So it's perfectly possible that your peer overview is at first flooded with many peers vanishing seconds later because your client gets peer information from all sources in bulk and works its way through it, eliminating those it couldn't reach in time for example. Very plausible, but I'm not 100% sure.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

On 11/28/2020 at 9:22 PM, polomintus said:

Will confirm now with you. I'm testing a private torrent that was only published to a private tracker less than an hour ago which its unlikely you get poisoners on something so new but obviously doesn't rule out black lists but not sure why you would be on the black lists? because people using AirVPN to send out bad chunks?

Hello!

For the reason we explained, common address pools in datacenters with (c) trolls. Not that it must be the case, of course.

Kind regards