Not connected, Your IP: 34.239.179.228

I can't get Eddie to run under Rosetta! I'm unable to click anything on the GUI like putting in username and password, rendering AirVPN useless to me at the moment!

I was also unable to click anything on the GUI when running Eddie on my Apple M1.  I did find a fix though.. 

Click on the Eddie icon in the menu bar and select Show Main Window.  This should allow you to enter your user name and password.  You may need to tab and enter instead of mouse clicks to save your settings.. Once connected, set your app preferences to remember settings and to reconnect on startup so you don't have to go through it again.  

Although it works, it definitely doesn't like to play with with the M1 so this needs to bee looked at. 

Hello!

Sure, porting our software to ARM based Mac machines is an option we are seriously considering because during 2021 (and maybe 2022) Mac Apple will abandon development of x86-64 based computers completely. Stay tuned.

Kind regards

14 hours ago, looski said:

I was also unable to click anything on the GUI when running Eddie on my Apple M1.  I did find a fix though.. 

Click on the Eddie icon in the menu bar and select Show Main Window.  This should allow you to enter your user name and password.  You may need to tab and enter instead of mouse clicks to save your settings.. Once connected, set your app preferences to remember settings and to reconnect on startup so you don't have to go through it again.  

Although it works, it definitely doesn't like to play with with the M1 so this needs to bee looked at. 

Hi looski,

Thank you very much - that actually worked for me too. 

Cheers!

3 hours ago, Staff said:

Hello!

Sure, porting our software to ARM based Mac machines is an option we are seriously considering because during 2021 (and maybe 2022) Mac will abandon development of x86-64 based computers completely. Stay tuned.

Kind regards

That's good news, and hopefully sooner rather than later!

I had exactly the same issue as looski & spikesclone.
I don't really fancy having AirVPN to connect on startup so I gave up on Eddie & just installed good old Tunnelblick - which as usual worked like a champion.

Worth pointing out that the Hummingbird client works very nicely on M1 Macs (natively, without Rosetta), so consider that if you're comfortable with the command line. 

https://airvpn.org/forums/topic/48969-macos-apple-m1-hummingbird-111-released/

@c69c7kfrv48fuJ8Re44C

Hello!

Exactly. Maybe it's worth pointing out even in this thread that we released highly optimized Hummingbird for Apple M1 machines. If you have more than 100 Mbit/s available, you should see around 100% performance boost when compared against OpenVPN.

In the download page:
https://airvpn.org/macos/hummingbird/

you can clearly identify the Intel and the M1 version.

Kind regards

@WilDieteren

Hello!

Backend is already running natively. Frontend still needs Rosetta 2 because Mono does not exist yet for M1. Anyway frontend does not have any time critical duty, so it's not a big deal. The real deal is OpenVPN 2/OpenSSL which is still slow in M1 (just like it is slow on Intel Mac anyway) so you might like to have Eddie run Hummingbird for M1, or run Hummingbird for M1 directly. If you have more than 100 Mbit/s, you should get around 100% boost.

Kind regards

@Staff,

Thanks for the update, not sure however what you mean by Eddie running Hummingbird, can I find how to on the website? Also, any news on the GUI issue?

1 hour ago, WilDieteren said:

Thanks for the update, not sure however what you mean by Eddie running Hummingbird, can I find how to on the website?

Download on the Downloads page, Instructions link on that page.
Then in Eddie Preferences > Advanced > Use Hummingbird if available.

So, the How-To is actually there. :)

» I am not an AirVPN team member. All opinions are my own and are not to be considered official. Only the AirVPN Staff account should be viewed as such.

» The forums is a place where you can ask questions to the community. You are not entitled to guaranteed answer times. Answer quality may vary, too. If you need professional support, please create tickets.

» If you're new, take some time to read LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN. On questions, use the search function first. On errors, search for the error message instead.

» If you choose to create a new thread, keep in mind that we don't know your setup. Give info about it. Never forget the OpenVPN logs or, for Eddie, the support file (Logs > lifebelt icon).

» The community kindly asks you to not set up Tor exit relays when connected to AirVPN. Their IP addresses are subject to restrictions and these are relayed to all users of the affected servers.

» Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. If you overdo privacy, chances are you will be unique amond the mass again.

Hello!

Today we are releasing a new Hummingbird native version both for Intel and M1 based Mac. In both systems it is remarkably faster, with throughput, than the previous version. Check "News" forum later on.

Kind regards