Not connected, Your IP: 3.17.79.60
Sign in to follow this  
dogeyes7

VPNCheck Pro

Hi

I've been usuing your service now for many many months,its excellent,but because of the risk of dns leak etc in windows i've mainly used airvpn through my linux setup,and its been perfect,100% solid connection and zero dns leakshttps://airvpn.org/components/com_kunena/template/default/images/emoticons/laughing.png

I'd really love to start using airvpn(via the client)on my windows 7 system,i know theres a sticky at the top of the forum page on how to cut out dns leaks etc using comodo,but to be perfectly honest i really dont feel comfortable configuring all the rules.

My question is this,i've come accross a program called VPNCheck Pro,it offers to stop all dns leaks and also stop any programs running through my vpn if theres a connection loss,do you know of this program?,if so whats your thoughts?

keep up the great work,your service is fantastic

A happy customer D

Hello!

We haven't tested the program you cite. Generally speaking, the problems with this approach are:

- the time between disconnection detection and program forced kill might allow anyway a leak; about this, you should test carefully the program in order to determine whether it's the case or not

- a forced program kill may potentially cause lost or corrupted data, so please be aware of that

- contrarily to firewall rules, this approach might not protect you against correlation attacks

Kind regards

Ok,

Many thanks for responding to my question,if I do decide to try this program out,i will certainly report back on weather it was a success or not...

Cheers D

Hi dogeyes7,

to eliminate DNS leaks (from the router) in Windows, you can simply configure your real network adapter with two FIXED DNS server addresses (primary and alternate). Just go to TCP/IP properties, and in the field "Obtain DNS server addresses automatically", you just type two fixed IP addresses.

Strictly speaking, it does NOT matter what addresses you use, even fantasy addresses are fine IF you use AirVPN and Comodo to block traffic if AirVPN is disconnected. Then, any DNS query to the addresses you chose will anyway be blocked by Comodo (by the final block-all rule), and then Windows sends the same query over the TAP-adapter, from where it goes encrypted to the Google DNS servers that AirVPN uses by default, and your privacy is ensured.

However, in order for DNS to even get resolved when AirVPN and Comodo are intentionally *disabled* (maybe for testing purposes), you should use good DNS server addresses, and not just fantasy addresses. Otherwise you would have to reconfigure your physical adapter in that case back to "obtain DNS servers automatically".

Examples for good DNS servers are the servers from the SwissPrivacyFoundation, or others.

http://server.privacyfoundation.de/

Finally, if you also want to configure your TAP-adapter DNS with the same (good) DNS server addresses, you can do that. It means that you will then use these DNS servers in *all* cases, even when AirVPN is connected.

Best regards.