Not connected, Your IP: 52.55.214.236
Whisperer

OpenVPN Authenticate/Decrypt errors

4 hours ago, Whisperer said:

Well, I'm giving up. I spent the last 13 hours, clear through the night trying to get it all working again, and the speed just gets slower and slower. By now I'm grateful if I make it to 10Mbit out of my 250 line. A whopping 1Mbyte/s download. And judging from the responses to support requests and their participation on the forum, hoping that a staff member helps me out is just waiting for my inevitable end.

Open a ticket and receive support in a matter of a few hours, instead of spending time in a sterile controversy. Community forums are for the community by the community, we might read them or not, answer to messages  or not.

Kind regards

I apologize if I stepped on anybody's toes. I'm used to the fact that opening support tickets should always be a last resort and I noticed that staff often engaged in threads with similar issues. So I assumed they would show up here as well. But after going at this for days and finally spending my entire Saturday from sunup until Sunday sunup, the frustration and fatigue got the better of me. I opened up a support request as you instructed.

I would ask @Samb if the 200Mbit line he almost saturates is using a single client to connect or using multiple clients? I've always been content that 80Mbit is the highest I could reach even when the VPN server in question is next-door and has 1000Mbit free. So obviously I'm curious if it is actually possible to go that high?

In other news, I get the same error using UDP6 as my protocol Best I get currently is about 40Mbit. Sigh...

On 4/27/2020 at 8:28 AM, Whisperer said:

I would ask @Samb if the 200Mbit line he almost saturates is using a single client to connect or using multiple clients? I've always been content that 80Mbit is the highest I could reach even when the VPN server in question is next-door and has 1000Mbit free. So obviously I'm curious if it is actually possible to go that high?

Maximum I've seen and I'm aware of is, downloading from a single source/one connection is 22MB/s, multiple sources/connections ~27MB/s
and uploading at ~24MB/s to different peers/connections
All of this using Direct Connect (DC)

On 4/27/2020 at 7:28 AM, Whisperer said:

I apologize if I stepped on anybody's toes. I'm used to the fact that opening support tickets should always be a last resort and I noticed that staff often engaged in threads with similar issues. So I assumed they would show up here as well. But after going at this for days and finally spending my entire Saturday from sunup until Sunday sunup, the frustration and fatigue got the better of me. I opened up a support request as you instructed.

In other news, I get the same error using UDP6 as my protocol Best I get currently is about 40Mbit. Sigh...

Hello Whisperer

I, too experienced authenticate decrypt errors during ubuntu torrenting but found no real solution few months ago.

For myself since I had a broadband router modem upgrade and speed boost all my issues came from that sadly with no option to go back, so torrenting basically fires up these authenticate decrypt errors in the hundreds but it also kills my connection to 10% of my overall bb speed and eventually it wiggles free and resets back to full speed then back to 10% speed constantly. Without torrenting its fine naturally.

Tried mssfix different values, mtu adjustments, tried linux, different laptops, pcs, network cards, cat5+ basically as much as I could try I think, including chacha server/beta openvpn 2.5 client and server under with linux, but nothing worked.

My post originally here:

and

You could try adjusting your torrent app settings to help it a little as I tried here it's a very long shot though...
Anyhow, I spent weeks trying to fix it and almost gave up but tried Wireguard protocol with another vpn provider rather than openvpn with airvpn.
Before I recommend Wireguard as a possible workaround (it may not be for you) please be aware its still new, not as safe or may not be as reliable privacy/security wise as openvpn and AirVPN.  But yes Wireguard from any vpn provider that supports it solved my authenticate decrypt errors and allowed torrenting to work perfect but everyone's case is different so you can only try and see if it works.

I however agree with the general vibe on Wireguard and feel it's too early to use especially if security and privacy is important to you, so I am sticking with openvpn and Air VPN, so I ditched torrents and moved to newsgroups, no errors of any kind on newsgroups.

I did ask support and they concluded that it must be the ISP has de-prioritized UDP packets, meaning they come in on a delay. I do believe there is a setting to increase the delay time. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get IPv6 routing working either, so until I fix that I'll leave this as is and pick it up later. In the meantime I'm on TCP and the best I can hope for is a fraction of what my line can handle.

On 6/3/2020 at 11:51 AM, Whisperer said:

I did ask support and they concluded that it must be the ISP has de-prioritized UDP packets, meaning they come in on a delay. I do believe there is a setting to increase the delay time. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get IPv6 routing working either, so until I fix that I'll leave this as is and pick it up later. In the meantime I'm on TCP and the best I can hope for is a fraction of what my line can handle.

I believe the mss fix is suppose to help with the timing of udp packets, I ran through every thing from 1500 or 1400 right down to something like 1200 in 10s-20s hoping to find a good mss setting but none worked. Its hard to ignore the errors when it cuts your speed to 10% really.

Yes tcp also worked for me but like yourself only a fraction of my overall broadband speed, also when you go to open a page the speed on the torrents cut making it even more pointless.

Wireguard does mention its speed "improvements" over the old openvpn, supporting multi core processing and the latest tech, I was told the reason why WG is so good is due to internal Kernel processing, but even trying the latest openvpn betas and beta servers with chacha (meant to be major improvements and similar prcoessing) I still got the bad packet errors, regardless I have ditched torrents for newsgroups and get max speeds without any bad packets or errors on my line.

I will wait for the newer openvpn (think its 2.5) and when air servers are updated and re-test the bad packet problem, if it somehow resolves the issue ill post it here even if it is a long shot.

I still recommend Airvpn and openvpn for now, its still the best service currently on this planet.

Sometimes you just have a bad Connection to the Destination Server, hence the Authenticate/Decrypt Errors. I get those Errors on Alruba and Felis too.

I think there is not much you can do About it, apart from trying different values for mssfix. But you've already done that.

BB

AMD Ryzen 3950X @ 105W PPL

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite

AMD RX 5700 XT

Corsair DDR4-3200 32GB

On 6/5/2020 at 2:16 PM, BlueBanana said:

Sometimes you just have a bad Connection to the Destination Server, hence the Authenticate/Decrypt Errors. I get those Errors on Alruba and Felis too.

I think there is not much you can do About it, apart from trying different values for mssfix. But you've already done that.

BB

Think I tried everything possible and 20+ different air severs also, but switching to Wireguard on the 3-4 different vpn providers I tried and it 100% fixed the Authenticate/Decrypt errors for myself.

I spoke to 2 other people who were aware of the Authenticate/Decrypt or bad packet ids problem and 1 suggested its due to kernel processing from WG solving it, he has gone wg route naturally.