Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.59.187
barnabas

Changing OpenVPN from port 1194 to 443

I'm having major problems using AirVPN's Eddie connecting to a server. I believe my ISP may be blocking AirVPN. I found a really helpful article below that might help me hide by switching OpenVPN ports. It is set on 1194 and they recommend changing this to port 443.

I noticed in Eddie if you click on SETTINGS > PROTOCL > you'll see "Official OpenVPN port" is set to 1194 but does anyone know how to change that value.

Thanks in advance guys and gals 😉

@barnabas

Hello!

By default Eddie will connect to port 443. You can change connection mode, as you correctly noticed, on "Preferences" > "Protocols" window.

Port 1194 is a port that's recommended specifically for OpenVPN by IANA, in this sense it's the "official" OpenVPN port.

Our servers accept connections on ports 53, 80, 443, 1194, 2018 and more.

Kind regards

When I click on the SETTINGS button on Eddie I then go to Protocols tab, when I select the item "Official OpenVPN Port" I don't know how to edit it, I've tried double clicking on the item and nothing happens. When I un-tick the "Automatic" check box I am still unable to double click and edit the item. Could you please tell me how to do it? thank you

Eddie.jpg

I think you are not understanding something, which is quite okay. There's no point in what you're trying to do. You can't edit internationally standardized ports – 1194 is used by default, and everywhere in the world they know that connections to port 1194 usually are OpenVPN connections.
As Staff wrote, if you want to connect using a different port, simply choose another in the list.

I'm getting interested in your explanation why you want to change that port, though. Is it because you want to use automatic port selection but without 1194?

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

@barnabas

Hello!

After you have deticked "Automatic" select a connection mode by clicking a line. The line will be highlighted in blue. Click "Save".

A connection mode can not be edited, as modes are decided by us server side. You are free to pick one between the dozens available.

If your ISP disrupts OpenVPN and/or UDP we recommend that you try the following parameters:
- protocol TCP
- port 443
- entry-IP address THREE

Since 1194 is the "official" OpenVPN port, if an ISP wants to disrupt OpenVPN, blocking outbound port 1194 would be trivially the first and simplest thing to do.

Kind regards