Not connected, Your IP: 107.23.157.16

I enjoy online multiplayer gaming as a past time and although I enjoy using a VPN to keep even my gaming sessions safe and encrypted, I know it can give a hit to my ping and such. I never tried AirVPN with online gaming yet but I wonder if anyone, from experience, can tell me if it is indeed a suitable VPN for online gaming.

Otherwise, what other VPN service can anyone suggest for just gaming while still using AirVPN for other online activities?

Thanks.

Hello
I have been using Airvpn for gaming (unlock voice-chat) for almost 2 years now.
It works great. it adds around 5 to 10 latency only, and the best thing is. There are no ping spikes at all.

Nevertheless, you can get the free trail for 3 days and try the vpn with your game. 

Hello!

Yes, it absolutely is. Just ensure you're connected to a location which is good for your specific situation/location and perhaps even using the UDP protocol.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

I sometimes do abit of multiplayer and using SSL with a local server I get around 40 ping which is more than adequate....

Posted ... (edited)
I used this VPN in games, but unfortunately the ping upset me. It was too big. I had to use another paid VPN. I decided to use another VPN in games because of the fast and stable connection, but I use AirVPN on the Internet. Edited ... by giganerd
Removed competitor link

Out of interest, what about ExpressVPN?

I never used it but I heard it is one of the fastest and secure VPN providers out there
next to NordVPN (Although I wouldn't touch that with a ten-foot pole anymore thanks to this bombshell.)

18 hours ago, curhen57 said:

I never used it but I heard it is one of the fastest and secure VPN providers out there
next to NordVPN

That's surely because it's always at least in the top 3 in pretty much every "VPN review" blog, along with NordVPN.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

If you're in the States you might find a server that fits your needs. In Europe (except for NL) and South America many of NordVPN servers are overloaded as hell, my ping was horrible. Half of the servers had a usage of 100% according to the NordVPN-app, half of the <50% servers hardly give a response anyway. Might take some time to find a suiting one.

I want to add there will never be a definite answer to a question like this:

1. it depends on the server you choose. Test the server in your/neighboring country
  2. it depends on the routing your ISP does. It is very possible for your traffic to go on a round trip across the country just to reach someone in your city
  3. it depends whether your ISP and VPN entry server's hosting provider have direct peering. Some greedy ISPs do not do peering (direct connection between two networks) for free and demand money.
  4. it depends whether your game server's hosting and VPN's hosting providers have good peering. Maybe the game company only has good peering to ISPs (and somehow not as a great peering to other data centers)
The correct answer is: it depends. You cannot know whether 'VPN A' has better latency for you than 'VPN B'. You can always expect a minimum of +15ms. On top of that, how reliable is your testing? Do you connect to the same game server between runs?
Test multiple VPNs and choose one. However it is futile to ask others or to proclaim to have found 'the one good VPN'.

Generally a VPN good for gaming will have zero packet loss and low jitter (latency variance). That implies the servers are not running near limits like some of the test and 'free servers' can. I leave it up to you how to measure packet loss and jitter over a long period of time.

In terms of latency, every vpn service shouldnt have problems, as long as youre connected "near" home. As a german user, i can even go to the neighbours, without adding to much extra ms. Sometimes i forget to disconnect from vpn and i played some time without noticing it. Of course, i am connected over sweden or switzerland, you can see higher values, but its still no problem.  But for gaming only, i dont see a point in using vpn over some other country. At least as a EU or US citizien.

Another point is worthy to look at. Some gameservices dont want the player using vpns. World of Warcraft (blizzard) for example. People can get caught in the antibotting detectionsystem or the account could be closed because of "reasons".  Steam, Uplay and Origin want to relog into my account most of the time, because of locationchanges.