Not connected, Your IP: 34.227.191.136
Staff

Eddie Desktop 2.18beta released

Hello,

On 3/26/2020 at 11:13 AM, Staff said:

Version 2.18.8 (Thu, 26 Mar 2020 12:59:48 +0000)

• [bugfix] Windows - Support of OpenVPN2.5 tech-preview (also with new wintun driver)
3 hours ago, Clodo said:

We updated the Windows build (without changing version number) to identify better the following issues (Windows only):
- Unable to find driver path 'C:\WINDOWS' - Fixed
- VCRUNTIME140.dll (reported by @rdbrn) - Fixed
- Options error: Unrecognized option (reported by @Telos , @kiwi, @blaHbluBB) - Fixed

I just wanted to let the staff and developers know that I am using the updated 2.18.8 Windows version on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.752) with the OpenVPN 2.5 technology preview using the wintun driver.
I have encountered no issues and there are no errors showing in Eddie's logs.
I am seeing an average of 5 % - 10 % speed gains. I thought from what I had read I might have seen a larger speed increase but I am still happy with the improvements.
The only thing negative that I see is the CPU usage of the 2.18.8 version of Eddie-UI.exe. In version 2.18.7 the CPU usage was always less than 0.5 % but with the new version I am seeing the CPU hovering around 2 %. I realize that 2 % is not a lot but it is an over 400 % increase in CPU usage over the previous version so I thought I would mention it.
Other than that, the new version is running extremely well here on my system (Intel i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz with 40 GB RAM).

4 hours ago, Clodo said:

We updated the Windows build (without changing version number) to identify better the following issues (Windows only):
- Options error: Unrecognized option (reported by @Telos , @kiwi, @blaHbluBB) - Fixed

Thx, is fixed.

4 hours ago, Clodo said:

14 hours ago, jeuia3e9x74uxu6wk0r2u9kdos said:

For me everything is ok except for a little "glitch"...is that normal?

Logs:

. 2020.03.27 07:53:53 - Eddie version: 2.18.8 / windows_x64, System: Windows, Name: Windows 10 Home, Version: Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.18363.0, Mono/.Net: v4.0.30319
. 2020.03.27 07:53:53 - Command line arguments (0):
. 2020.03.27 07:53:55 - Profile path: C:\Users\.....\AppData\Local\Eddie\default.profile
. 2020.03.27 07:53:55 - Reading options from C:\Users\......\AppData\Local\Eddie\default.profile
E 2020.03.27 07:53:57 - Unable to find driver path 'C:\Windows'
. 2020.03.27 07:53:58 - Tun Driver - 0901: 9.24.2; wintun: Not found

. 2020.03.27 07:53:58 - OpenVPN - Version: 2.4.8 - OpenSSL 1.1.0l  10 Sep 2019, LZO 2.10 (C:\Program Files\AirVPN\openvpn.exe)
. 2020.03.27 07:53:58 - SSH - Version: plink 0.67 (C:\Program Files\AirVPN\plink.exe)
. 2020.03.27 07:53:58 - SSL - Version: stunnel 5.40 (C:\Program Files\AirVPN\stunnel.exe)
. 2020.03.27 07:53:58 - curl - Version: 7.68.0 (C:\Program Files\AirVPN\curl.exe)
! 2020.03.27 07:53:59 - Activation of Network Lock - Windows Filtering Platform
I 2020.03.27 07:53:59 - Ready

Solved, thanks :)

Thank you very much, Clodo for your great work (especially under these shocking circumstances).

All the best to you and your country
kiwi

15 hours ago, puff-m-d said:

Hello,

I just wanted to let the staff and developers know that I am using the updated 2.18.8 Windows version on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.752) with the OpenVPN 2.5 technology preview using the wintun driver.
I have encountered no issues and there are no errors showing in Eddie's logs.
I am seeing an average of 5 % - 10 % speed gains. I thought from what I had read I might have seen a larger speed increase but I am still happy with the improvements.

Great to know it works as expected. I think you also manually add the directive "windows-driver wintun", in next version this will be automatic if wintun driver is detected.

15 hours ago, puff-m-d said:

The only thing negative that I see is the CPU usage of the 2.18.8 version of Eddie-UI.exe. In version 2.18.7 the CPU usage was always less than 0.5 % but with the new version I am seeing the CPU hovering around 2 %. I realize that 2 % is not a lot but it is an over 400 % increase in CPU usage over the previous version so I thought I would mention it.

Other than that, the new version is running extremely well here on my system (Intel i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz with 40 GB RAM).

Thx of the feedback, i will check this.

everything's fine now 👍

“We rip out so much of ourselves to be cured of things faster than we should that we go bankrupt by the age of thirty and have less to offer each time we start with someone new. But to feel nothing so as not to feel anything—what a waste!”

Hey.  The signatures (hashes) don't match for 2.18.8 portable or installer.  Is this because it was updated without updating the hashes?

I saw that some bugs were fixed without updating the build number so I wanted to be sure.

What about elevated privileges error. Any tips what to check, why is system struggling to get privileges? Version 2.18.7 worked fine.

On 3/27/2020 at 11:58 PM, kiwi said:

Thank you very much, Clodo for your great work (especially under these shocking circumstances).

All the best to you and your country
kiwi

OT: Thank you 😘. I live in Lombardia, the epicenter. It's a disaster here.

The Eddie client keeps timing out every five minutes and then restarting. It's really frustrating and I don't even know why that part of the code is still in. It would be nice if that part of the code would be eliminated because it make no sense whatsoever.

43 minutes ago, Torry said:

The Eddie client keeps timing out every five minutes and then restarting. It's really frustrating and I don't even know why that part of the code is still in. It would be nice if that part of the code would be eliminated because it make no sense whatsoever.

Are you aware that you are using beta version? We all have problems and are testing experimental version. Patience is a key here, together with providing as much bug details as possible.

Okay.  I get this with installed Eddie and portable.

. 2020.03.29 18:25:35 - OpenVPN > open_tun
. 2020.03.29 18:25:35 - OpenVPN > Failed to register ring buffers: 87
. 2020.03.29 18:25:35 - OpenVPN > Failed to register {B14655E0-7102-43E5-AB88-87507D8F0E46} adapter ring buffers
. 2020.03.29 18:25:35 - OpenVPN > All wintun adapters on this system are currently in use.
. 2020.03.29 18:25:35 - OpenVPN > Exiting due to fatal error
! 2020.03.29 18:25:35 - Disconnecting

I already had wintun installed from OVPN 2.5.  Uninstalled it and openvpn 2.5, and only kept the openvpn.exe I needed to use with Eddie.  Everything was fine until earlier today when I uninstalled the driver from Preferences > Advanced > Uninstall wintun driver.  Nothing behaves right after that.  I had to do a lot of uninstalling with msiexec before things got stable.

Now, even when wintun (or eddie-wintun-x64) is uninstalled, it still shows up as if it is installed.

. 2020.03.29 18:24:23 - Tun Driver - 0901: 9.23.3; wintun: 0.8
. 2020.03.29 18:24:23 - OpenVPN - Version: 2.5_git - OpenSSL 1.1.0l  10 Sep 2019, LZO 2.10

Also, Eddie can only create the adapter if I install wintun from ovpn2.5 beforehand.  Still, I just get this "All wintun adapters on this system are currently in use" error, it disconnects and tries to reconnect in a loop.

I feel like I'm missing something simple...

Version 2.18.8 working okay on my Windows 10 OS in general but in my list of preferred servers set to "speed" it lists them alphabetically instead. Tried setting it to latency with the same result as it also does when I reset the list.

On 3/29/2020 at 8:53 AM, amilino said:

What about elevated privileges error. Any tips what to check, why is system struggling to get privileges? Version 2.18.7 worked fine.

I personally tested 2.18.8 with rPI4-raspbian-buster without any issue (with sudo or without).
I think your issue is somehow specific, so i write to you a private-message to understand and fix. Please continue in PM, thx.

6 hours ago, bluesjunior said:

Version 2.18.8 working okay on my Windows 10 OS in general but in my list of preferred servers set to "speed" it lists them alphabetically instead. Tried setting it to latency with the same result as it also does when I reset the list.

Cannot reproduce. Maybe you clicked the "Name" column header? Try to click the "Score" column header.  If the issue still occurs, please provide a screenshot to understand, it's the first time we see this issue. Thx.

13 hours ago, Mizu said:

I feel like I'm missing something simple...

Honestly, no... We use the original wintun packaging/deployment, and the original tunctl.exe from OpenVPN for creating adapter, but there are a lots of issues in a lots of Win version (never uninstall, fail to create adapter etc)....
We are working on testing to identify all the issues related to new wintun driver, please be patient.

On 3/28/2020 at 6:51 PM, Mizu said:

Hey.  The signatures (hashes) don't match for 2.18.8 portable or installer.  Is this because it was updated without updating the hashes?

I saw that some bugs were fixed without updating the build number so I wanted to be sure.

Yes, my fault, forgotten to update when deploy an urgent fix, hash recomputed now. Thx.

Elevation/Service Issue

After upgrading to 2.18.8 I can no longer run without getting windows Elevation prompt every time Eddie is started.
I've selected "Don't ask Elevation every run" in settings, but every time I run Eddie I get the Elevation prompt again and the option checkbox is reset in settings. 

Checking the service reveals it's there but not running, with Startup type set to automatic. Manually starting the service causes it to start and immediately stop.

Any way to fix this?
--

Eddie 2.18.8 on Windows 10 Pro

20 hours ago, Mizu said:

"All wintun adapters on this system are currently in use" error,

In Windows you can create the wintun adapter or install a new one.
Comand-line:
tapctl.exe create --hwid wintun
10 hours ago, Clodo said:

tunctl.exe from OpenVPN for creating adapter

@Clodo Thanks for that little "hint".
Now back on "double-link" wintun adapters.

16 hours ago, Clodo said:
19 hours ago, bluesjunior said:

Cannot reproduce. Maybe you clicked the "Name" column header? Try to click the "Score" column header.  If the issue still occurs, please provide a screenshot to understand, it's the first time we see this issue. Thx.
You're right, I must have done that without noticing, working fine now so much thanks Clodo.

I have the update channel in settings set to "beta" but i never get a notification for an update, I always need to check the forums and update manually
Anyone else have this problem?

On 3/29/2020 at 6:36 PM, amilino said:
On 3/29/2020 at 5:50 PM, Torry said:

Are you aware that you are using beta version? We all have problems and are testing experimental version. Patience is a key here, together with providing as much bug details as possible.
It doesn't matter the version. They ALL do the same thing. I think I'll switch to another vpn. This is too frustrating for me going through the same damn thing over and over and over again.

On 3/30/2020 at 11:07 AM, Clodo said:

Honestly, no... We use the original wintun packaging/deployment, and the original tunctl.exe from OpenVPN for creating adapter, but there are a lots of issues in a lots of Win version (never uninstall, fail to create adapter etc)....
We are working on testing to identify all the issues related to new wintun driver, please be patient.

Thanks Clodo.  LOL, I told myself that it couldn't be a bug ... I thought I messed up.

I love Eddie so I'm fine with waiting.  I prefer VPN clients be right instead of rushed.

8 hours ago, Torry said:

It doesn't matter the version. They ALL do the same thing. I think I'll switch to another vpn. This is too frustrating for me going through the same damn thing over and over and over again.

You do realize that you are not bound to using Eddie with AirVPN?

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

15 hours ago, giganerd said:

You do realize that you are not bound to using Eddie with AirVPN?
I know. I also tried with Hummingbird and the same thing happened over and over again.