Not connected, Your IP: 3.128.78.41
Sign in to follow this  
foole

Help me out! Tunnelblick+GoogleDNS=DNS leaks?

New user to the world of VPNning here.

First off, I'm using Google Public DNS only. Should I use another? Is the an AirVPN DNS?

After using DNSleaktest.com to check for leakage, it shows 6 DNS servers, all from Google. Ergo, I'm leaking?

DNSleaktest.com says:

"If you are connected to an anonymity/privacy service and ANY of the servers listed below are from your ISP then your DNS is leaking."

But Google isn't my ISP. Am I leaking or not?

I'm using a Mac with Tunnelblick, UDP port 443 FWIW.

Please straighten this noob out! Thanks!

New user to the world of VPNning here.

First off, I'm using Google Public DNS only. Should I use another? Is the an AirVPN DNS?

Hello!

We would recommend that you use our DNS, because after our internal resolution against censorship and for internal services, the queries will be sent to Google DNS anyway. In order to determine it please see here https://airvpn.org/specs

Your system can send DNS queries to Google in two ways: directly, in which case they are going out unencrypted (and that's not good) or tunneled through our servers, in which case they go out in the encrypted tunnel, you will not be using our DNS but you won't have leaks anyway.

In your specific case the test does not tell anything useful: you can't discern whether the detected Google DNS servers are reached by unencrypted queries, encrypted queries or through our DNS.

Please note that our servers will always push DNS to clients. However a system can be forced to use another DNS and ignore the push (this might be your case).

Kind regards

OK, so I'm trying to set up my other Windows 7 computer for the AirVPN DNS.

For Port 443 and UDP, I should set my ethernet adapter to 10.4.0.1 DNS? IPv4 only?

For Port 443 and UDP, I should set my ethernet adapter to 10.4.0.1 DNS? IPv4 only?

Hello!

Yes. Please check also that the DNS push from our VPN servers is successful, you should see the same 10.4.0.1 DNS server IP address on your TAP-Win32 adapter (Windows lacks the concept of global DNS servers, it needs that DNS servers are specified for each adapter).

Kind regards

Hello!

Yes. Please check also that the DNS push from our VPN servers is successful, you should see the same 10.4.0.1 DNS server IP address on your TAP-Win32 adapter (Windows lacks the concept of global DNS servers, it needs that DNS servers are specified for each adapter).

Kind regards

OK so I set my ethernet adapter to 10.4.0.1 DNS (no alternate server) and then connect to the internet.

Then I tried to login to AirVPN and I get an error message:

The remote name could not be resolved: airvpn.org

Nor could I reach any other website without the VPN.

I've got my Mac configured properly for the AirVPN DNS and I can connect to servers fine, but not with Windows 7.

It's a DNS problem obviously, but what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Nor could I reach any other website without the VPN

Hello!

That's correct, no DNS leak. On Windows 7, please add to your hosts file the following line:

46.105.19.36 airvpn.org

in order to allow the Air client to resolve airvpn.org for VPN connections.

Kind regards

Nor could I reach any other website without the VPN

Hello!

That's correct' date=' no DNS leak. On Windows 7, please add to your hosts file the following line:

46.105.19.36 airvpn.org

in order to allow the Air client to resolve airvpn.org for VPN connections.

Kind regards[/quote']

OK, I edited the Hosts file and now I can get onto the servers using the AirVPN DNS only. No Google.

But the TAP-Win32 adapter still shows 'Obtain DNS server address automatically'. Do I have to manually change it to the AirVPN DNS as well? Or is it fine like it is?

OK, I edited the Hosts file and now I can get onto the servers using the AirVPN DNS only. No Google.

But the TAP-Win32 adapter still shows 'Obtain DNS server address automatically'. Do I have to manually change it to the AirVPN DNS as well? Or is it fine like it is?

Hello!

It's just fine, our servers DHCP-push the VPN DNS IP address.

Kind regards

Hi I am also new to this VPN stuff and I am starting to like it. Just one question.

How do I know it's using the AirVPN DNS? I tried www.dnsleaktest.com and found 3 Google servers. Is that the correct response?

When looking into my network adapter setting on a mac it shows the 10.4.0.1 DNS automatically.

Hi I am also new to this VPN stuff and I am starting to like it. Just one question.

How do I know it's using the AirVPN DNS? I tried www.dnsleaktest.com and found 3 Google servers. Is that the correct response?

Hello!

Yes, that's just fine. After internal resolutions (for internal services and against ICE censorship) our servers resolve names through Google DNS.

When looking into my network adapter setting on a mac it shows the 10.4.0.1 DNS automatically.

Your client has correctly accepted the DNS push of our server. See also here: https://airvpn.org/specs

Kind regards

Is there any step by step directions to do these settings. How do you get to the adapter to change settings?

Hello!

A very explicative guide (maybe even too much) is here:

http://macs.about.com/od/networking/qt/configure-your-macs-dns.htm

You might also like to search for 'how to change DNS on Mac OS X" on any search engine, for example:

http://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+change+DNS+on+Mac+OS+X

Kind regards