Not connected, Your IP: 34.204.181.19
nunz

Seedbox recommendations

I would appreciate some recommendations for seedboxes for torrenting.
In particular, I am leaning toward RapidSeedbox.com and would like to know any user experience with them.

Thank you!

If you already have AirVPN it will be a waste of money, and bandwidth.
Torrent with a local client and you will be fine.
Unless it's all those "elite" trackers that want you to upload an x amount of b/w.
Do they still exist? it was a big thing ~10 years ago.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

4 hours ago, zhang888 said:

Do they still exist? it was a big thing ~10 years ago.

They do, and I am using one of these. It still prevents leeching indefinitely. You get restricted to one torrent a day only if your ratio is <1 for some time or immediately when <0.5. This is good because people can't download and then stop the torrent immediately without consequences (like, I don't want to be caught, so I don't upload). But BitTorrent lives from uploaders so stopping torrents is a dick move.

4 hours ago, zhang888 said:

If you already have AirVPN it will be a waste of money, and bandwidth.
Torrent with a local client and you will be fine.

As a long-time local torrenter myself, local torrenting comes with some cost as well.
  • You can of course torrent on the lowest throughput your ISP offers to save money but that does not bring you much joy (it depends on your ISP, though). Mostly you need a plan with more bandwidth.
  • Torrenting can easily block your entire uplink. You can of course limit it, but in some cases you'd need a bigger line to be enjoyable again.
  • You need a dedicated hard drive with some TiB of space. Depending on the client, many active torrents really will stress the drive they're on and only HDDs are currently relatively inexpensive when it goes up to TiBytes. Buy SSD with any space beyond a TiB and you pay a price you could operate a seedbox for a year or even two.
  • .. oh, and they can break. Granted, the risk for HDDs is bigger than with SSDs, but still. And when they do, you might lose your content.
  • If you say, some device in your network can do it, not necessarily your PC, this device needs energy, energy costs money.
  • If you torrent locally, you will need (Air)VPN.
You will be fine, but I can't agree with waste of money, and bandwidth.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

zhang888, giganerd, and WaNNaBEAnoNymoUs,

Thank you, all, for taking the time to respond to my inquiry. Your advice and recommendations are precise to me.

One reason why I am interested in a seedbox is because sometimes it is a pain to activate AirVPN and run a torrent client indefinitely. On several occasions, while I was running a torrent client unattended through AirVPN, local power went down. When the power came back on, my computer restarted and relaunched all previously running applications, including the torrent client and AirVPN's Eddie. But, as far as I know, Eddie does not have a preference be set to automatically log into my AirVPN account. (I guess I can write an AppleScript on my Mac to bypass this to enable automatic login. However, from a security point of view, I may not want this to happen.) This meant that the torrent client was running without going through AirVPN on these occasions. This is dangerous.

Another reason is because it seems much more efficient to keep my share ratio high with torrent websites. Once I become a Leecher, it is next to impossible to climb up to a regular status through a local torrenting. And, frankly, I am tired of it. It seems to me that a seedbox is an excellent solution for my Leech problem as well.

5 hours ago, nunz said:

But, as far as I know, Eddie does not have a preference be set to automatically log into my AirVPN account

Of course it does. If you check the Remember box, Eddie starts already logged in. And if you set the preference to Connect to server at startup, it will even automatically reconnect to a server. :)

Thank you for those options in Eddie. I should have stated that macOS asks for approval to run Eddie first. This part, in theory, can be automated with a script. But, I am not sure if I really want to do that.

image.png.952f9afaa06566123de8ceaec2618a13.png

I really, i mean big boys recommended use seedbox, u save power bill because u dont need keep your pc up and running year and year all the way. Yes, and of course lightning could strike and all is down then. i mea.. i mean big boys recommended use first cheap seedbox firstly and get use to it and use AirVPN all the other stuff, even thou u have good connection speed. I hope you undestand my hillbilly english.

"You don't have to be a genius to sound like one." - BDS

I want to thank everyone who has helped me with seedboxes. In the past few days, I have signed up with seedbox.io and am happy with their services. 

Two Questions
(1) Should I use AirVPN when I ftp-download files from the seedbox?
(2) Should I use AirVPN while I am managing torrent files on seedbox.io through a browser interface at my end?

Please advise. Thank you!

1 hour ago, nunz said:

In the past few days, I have signed up with seedbox.io and am happy with their services. 

If I were to subscribe to a Seedbox provider, Plex should be there. It's a wonderful integration of whatever I download into Kodi. And with seedbox.io, Plex costs 35€. :D I might be more interested in seedhost.eu, Plex is from 15€ there but they've got a traffic limit. So I'm still thinking.

1 hour ago, nunz said:

(1) Should I use AirVPN when I ftp-download files from the seedbox?

Unless it's SFTP, FTP itself is unencrypted. Therefore, could be a good idea.

1 hour ago, nunz said:

(2) Should I use AirVPN while I am managing torrent files on seedbox.io through a browser interface at my end?

That one is encrypted via HTTPS on the other hand.

giganerd - Of course, you are right about my questions (1) and (2). THANKS SO MUCH.

I realize that, just because I have put some torrents on seedbox.io, my bad share ratio of 0.59 at my favorite site would not jump to 2.17 overnight. But, I can also see that, just over the past two days, seedbox.io upped nearly 10 GB to the same site. And, I no longer have to worry about whether or not I had made sure to go through AirVPN to seed. This is a major psychological benefit that, to me, well-justifies the investment with seedbox.io.

To be honest, prior to turning to a seedbox with your help and others', I had flirted with the idea of making donations so that I could instantly return to a wonderful share ratio. But, in the end, I chose not to go the donation route. The reason was not just because donations would, by definition, cost me a lot of money. Rather, I came to realize that donations would not be a long-term sustainable means to climb back up to AND stay at a good share ratio again.

Hence, seedbox.io. The advice that you and others above have shared with me is priceless. Absolutely priceless.

zhang888, giganerd, and WaNNaBEAnoNymoUs,

Since I signed up for seedbox.io on July 13, 2019, it has been a bit over 4 months.
The service I opted for costs me 48 euros for one year and I am getting:
  • Premium slot
  • Datacenter location: Netherlands
  • Disk Space: 300 Gigabyte - 100Mbit connection
  • Premium Traffic: No
I originally looked for a seedbox in order to improve my "ratio" at one Mac application torrent site and at one movie download site.
Overall, I am quite happy with the concept of and how a seedbox works. It is far better than torrenting at home while worrying whether or not AirVPN is on.

On this occasion, I want to thank the three of you again who took time to respond to my inquiry back in July and tried to help me with the information about seedboxes in general.
I am sure I will need further knowledge of yours in the future. But, for now, I am happy with my decision to get a seedbox.

Have a great holiday season!!

Sincerely,

nunz

19 hours ago, nunz said:

Disk Space: 300 Gigabyte - 100Mbit connection

48€ for that? Umm.. well, if it works for you, congratulations! Enjoy :)
I hope this doesn't mean we're not going to see you around here anymore :D

7 hours ago, giganerd said:

Ha. I have a million other things that I have to learn from you and other gurus here. So, I will be around for a long time. :lol: Concerning the price for the storage, well, back in July I looked at the other sites that were suggested here and (I thought that) 300 Gigabyte for 48€ was OK with me. However, from a purely cost for space, I must have noticed a better deal. I think that things like simplicity of user interface also played a roll in my decision (I think). Anyhow, I will live with this a while as I learn more about seedboxes in general. 😎

Posted ... (edited)

Not sure if it is against the rules to post reddit link here.

If you're still searching for seedbox, I recommend go to https://www.reddit.com/r/seedboxes/. You can make a post to request for recommendation with your specific requirements, and then they will provide multiple providers based on your criteria. They are very helpful and willing to provides you the answers you need. Some seedbox providers have specific restrictions (want to make sure the content you are torrenting is not against the provider's policy), some expected you to set up the client yourself (basically code yourself), some have ambiguous wording that may have a different meaning. Check the sidebar in that subreddit, and use that "Recommendation Form" to put out an request.

Edited ... by NoiselessOwl
Replaced the word.

Thanks so much, NoiselessOwl, for your advice. 

You may think that I may be from Mars who just landed on the Earth. Even though I have a reddit account, I have rarely visited the site. Your advice will first change that. At a first glance of your link, I can tell how little I know about seedboxes in general. This will be a very useful education experience for me. Also, thanks for guiding through the subreddit > Recommendation Forum route with my requests. I will make use of that as well.

Thank you again for taking the time to write back to me. I really appreciate it.

On 11/25/2019 at 12:55 PM, OpenSourcerer said:

OpenSourcerer,

Merry Christmas from Freezing East Coast of the United States! I can’t believe it has been 3 years already since my last post here. I hope this post finds you well and enjoying the holidays. hostingby.design (formally known as seedbox.io) just sent out a 10% price increase notice to all subscribers.

The rate has remained the same at 48€ for 300 Gigabyte - 100Mbit connection since I started my subscription back in November 2019. The 10% increase will bring it to 52.8€. The service has been solid with no outage. In your opinion, even at 52.8€, is the 300 Gigabyte - 100Mbit connection still a reasonable deal?

Thanks for your advice (again)!!

40 minutes ago, nunz said:

I hope this post finds you well and enjoying the holidays

I'll be on holiday throughout January, so yeah, I'm so ready to enjoy my time off. :)

42 minutes ago, nunz said:

In your opinion, even at 52.8€, is the 300 Gigabyte - 100Mbit connection still a reasonable deal?

I've got a dedicated host with an 8-core Intel processor, 12 GiB RAM, 100 MBit/s link and 14 TiB of space for 58€ to compare it to. I can run a torrent daemon like rtorrent on this if I so desire.
So no, I don't think your special use case 52€ machine with just 300 GiB of space and a 100 Mbit/s link is a reasonable expense. I'm not even sure where the price is coming from. Routing? The fact that it's usable for non-tech folk?
But any vServer hoster can offer their beefiest host config for that price, probably 8-16 cores, 16-32 GiB RAM, x TiB of space and a gigabit link, probably even an unmetered one. It's absolutely overpriced in my opinion.

I am glad to know you will have a well-deserved time off. I wonder if you are headed for a warmer climate. WOW, 14 TB of space at 100 MBit/s for 58€? Seriously? If you know a few boxes that offer similar deals, would you mind letting me know?

1 hour ago, nunz said:

WOW, 14 TB of space at 100 MBit/s for 58€? Seriously? If you know a few boxes that offer similar deals, would you mind letting me know?

No one does, it was a special deal. My hoster offers a special "cancelled servers" page where people can choose them at a fraction of their former cost, but the hardware configuration cannot be changed. For the software part one can choose any OS.

Well, since I don't know anyone who could share good experiences with particular seedboxes at advertised prices, it looks like I will stay with seedbox.io for the time being. To be honest, what you said ("it's usable for non-tech folk") applies to me. I wish I had more technical knowledge to be able to compare various seedboxes. I really do. Thank you for trying to help me.