Not connected, Your IP: 52.14.221.113
bluesjunior

Help Extremely Slow Download Connection Using AirVPN?.

I have a Windows 10 desktop PC connected properly via a Cat6 cable to a Virgin Media superhub 3.0 running in modem mode to a Linksys EA7500 router also via Cat6 cable. Normally I only connect to AirVPN for an hour or so daily and use qBittorrent for downloads. This has worked for me for a long time without any serious download issues until a month or so back when it seemed that my downloads seemed to be capped at 4.3Mib/s in total. At first i thought it was Virgin capping my connection and tested out several different protocols and other advice recommended from here at these forums but found no change with anything I tried.

Since then I have uninstalled and reinstalled qBittorrent to an earlier version I knew was working good with my set up. I also upgraded AirVPN from v2.16.3 to the test version 2.17 and then did a completely clean install of 2.16.3 again but nothing changed I am still getting extremely slow broadband speeds via AirVPN.

I came across a post on checking the TAP adapter settings to ensure the 1 gigabit setting was enabled and thought I had found the problem when I saw it was set at 100mbs. I followed the instructions by downloading the 9.22 version from OpenVPN uninstalled the one onboard and installed the new one and on checking I found that I now had 1GB over the TAP adapter as well as my network 2. But on checking I found that I am still getting the same slow download speed.

When I connect to the internet via my browser without AirVPN and go to the Ookla Speedtest site I am getting the full 200+Mbps download on my 200Mbps contract with Virgin. When I open the Linksys EA7500 router settings still minus AirVPN and use the built in speedtest option also to Ookla I am only getting between 45 - 70Mbps download. When I then repeat this but connected to AirVPN my download speed goes right down to 18Mbps.

I bought this router as it is 1G capable and it was plug and play but as it all worked to a degree from the off connection wise I have never entered any sort of information in the Connection settings in the router which has set me wondering if therein lays the problem. The only thing is at 69 I am a long way from a PC admin and although I am very able to follow instructions I am unsure how to configure the Connection settings if in fact that is what is needed to get better speeds. Thanks in advance for any advice/help offered.

Hello!

1. You don't need to touch your router if you're just running the Eddie client locally on your PC, unless you have a specific setup in mind.
  2. You mentioned trying protocols: but did you try SSL/SSH and also remember to click "OK" and re-connect to a (nearby) server, after each change?
  3. Have you been through this stickied guide to Virgin?
  4. Have you tried these options for desktop Eddie? You don't need a profile/config generator by the way.
  5. Did you remember to update qBittorent and/or port-forward it? Please remember that there's guides to torrenting in my signature.
  6. Speedtests don't always tell the truth, so remember to test multiple times, controlled conditions, etc. etc.
  7. You don't really need to deal with the TAP issue any longer, if you've installed the latest Stable client or Beta.
  8. Remember to download the test-torrent from ipleak.net when you're done, to ensure you're not leaking.

Your age isn't a problem.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hello!

1. You don't need to touch your router if you're just running the Eddie client locally on your PC, unless you have a specific setup in mind.
  2. You mentioned trying protocols: but did you try SSL/SSH and also remember to click "OK" and re-connect to a (nearby) server, after each change?
  3. Have you been through this stickied guide to Virgin?
  4. Have you tried these options for desktop Eddie? You don't need a profile/config generator by the way.
  5. Did you remember to update qBittorent and/or port-forward it? Please remember that there's guides to torrenting in my signature.
  6. Speedtests don't always tell the truth, so remember to test multiple times, controlled conditions, etc. etc.
  7. You don't really need to deal with the TAP issue any longer, if you've installed the latest Stable client or Beta.
  8. Remember to download the test-torrent from ipleak.net when you're done, to ensure you're not leaking.

Your age isn't a problem.

Thank you for the reply LZ1, I have tried everything you mention and it is all as it should and has been when working previously. I even have posts in the Virgin thread. I am getting the 1g connection on all adapters I can see in my PC including the TAP adapter. The problem I think seems to be the router, it is 10/100/1000 capable but I cannot see anywhere in the router settings telling me it is using the 1g option. If it was only using 100mb this would likely create a bottleneck and be the cause of the slow speeds. While not connected to AirVPN and going to the Ookla Speedtest I am getting 218Mbps on my connection. If I then open the router settings via the browser 192.168.1.1 and go to the built in speed test in the settings there I am only getting around 50Mbps usually, I find this strange as the built in speed test is also a link to the same Ookla site. As soon as I sign in to AirVPN the speed through the router drops to approx 18Mbps regardless of which protocol I use.

It's not the the router and you don't need to see if it is 10/100/1000 you have a 1g connection on the computer which means it's connected at that with the router which your download speeds when not connected to vpn shows.

Not sure why you are bothering to use the speedtest on the router that has nothing to do with it many variables pay no attention to that.

Are you using airvpn download of eddie software?

Virgin network is a mess at the end of the day and different areas even different streets can have different results I have seen people have this same problem and no solution found because it's a Virgin issue but they wont do anything about it.

15 hours ago, edgfactor said:

It's not the the router and you don't need to see if it is 10/100/1000 you have a 1g connection on the computer which means it's connected at that with the router which your download speeds when not connected to vpn shows.

Not sure why you are bothering to use the speedtest on the router that has nothing to do with it many variables pay no attention to that.

Are you using airvpn download of eddie software?

Virgin network is a mess at the end of the day and different areas even different streets can have different results I have seen people have this same problem and no solution found because it's a Virgin issue but they wont do anything about it.

Thanks for the reply,
                                  you are correct the problem is with Virgin and although they refuse to admit a problem with the SH3 their forums are full of unhappy unanswered punters but they have a stranglehold on broadband connections in the UK at present so I guess we are stuck with it.
                         For a couple of weeks I unhooked my Linksys router and just ran with the SH3 in router mode but found no change at all, connection speed without Air = 200+Mbps and with Air connected = 18Mbps. Prior to whatever has gone wrong with Virgin, I would get around 75Mbps connection and a maximum total of 5-7Mbps and have seen it up as high as 12Mbps on a single download with a lot of seeds. With or without the Linksys attached it is now around the 18Mbps connection mark with a total download rate of 2-2.5Mbps whether it is one download or several. I have now reinstalled the Linksys as it has a better wifi connection and have just had to get used to the poor service while downloading.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Recently Virgin have begun upgrading the upload levels to around 10% of the download service, in my case that meant that my u/l has risen from approx 12Mbps to 19Mpbps but my d/l speed which has been a constant 200+ since going on the Vivid 200 service 2-3yrs back has now decreased to at best 170Mbps and sometimes as low as 75Mbps without the use of a VPN service, using Air I still get the figures mentioned above. 
                                                                                                                                                        I got little help from their helpline and on visiting their support forums found loads of posts on the same problem. It is pretty clear that Virgin know there is a problem but haven't found a fix for it yet or if ever, we live in hope.

On 4/10/2019 at 7:19 AM, bluesjunior said:

downloading the 9.22 version from OpenVPN

Try the tap version for Windows 10 such as "tap-windows-9.23.3-I601-Win10". It's worth a shot.
You can find it on OpenVPN website as well.
File uploaded in case you cannot get it
tap-windows-9.23.3-I601-Win10.exe.zip
Regards,
Flx