Not connected, Your IP: 3.15.147.215
Sign in to follow this  
plucas

Send all traffic over VPN

Hi,

Relative VPN newbie.

I've just subscribed to airVPN after having been a Witopia user for a little while. I couldn't seem to get Tunnelblick to run (using a mac) with Viscosity installed as well - are they incompatible on the same machine? Anyway, I imported the airVPN Tunnelblick configurations in to Viscosity and that seems to work. On looking over Viscosity in more detail I saw there was a 'Send all traffic over VPN' option buried in Viscosity Preferences, when you select a server and then click edit (bottom right) -> Networking. Is it necessary to have this checked or is all traffic automatically routed over the airVPN servers even if unchecked? Even though I would have thought this was unnecessary, Witopia customer support has just told me nothing is sent through their servers, if this option is left unchecked.

Thanks.

Hi,

Relative VPN newbie.

I've just subscribed to airVPN after having been a Witopia user for a little while. I couldn't seem to get Tunnelblick to run (using a mac) with Viscosity installed as well - are they incompatible on the same machine? Anyway, I imported the airVPN Tunnelblick configurations in to Viscosity and that seems to work. On looking over Viscosity in more detail I saw there was a 'Send all traffic over VPN' option buried in Viscosity Preferences, when you select a server and then click edit (bottom right) -> Networking. Is it necessary to have this checked or is all traffic automatically routed over the airVPN servers even if unchecked? Even though I would have thought this was unnecessary, Witopia customer support has just told me nothing is sent through their servers, if this option is left unchecked.

Thanks.

Hello!

Our servers push routes so that all the traffic is anyway tunneled over the VPN.

You can ask for clarifications to Viscosity support.

About your Tunnelblick problem, can you please send us the logs for troubleshooting?

Kind regards

Great - thanks a lot.

The Tunnelblick log for a recent failed connection attempt:

2012-08-12 21:07:22 *Tunnelblick: OS X 10.6.8; Tunnelblick 3.2.8 (build 2891.3099)

2012-08-12 21:07:33 *Tunnelblick: Attempting connection with AirVPN US Vega - UDP 443; Set nameserver = 1; monitoring connection

2012-08-12 21:07:33 *Tunnelblick: /Applications/Tunnelblick.app/Contents/Resources/openvpnstart start AirVPN\ US\ Vega\ -\ UDP\ 443.ovpn 1337 1 0 0 0 49 -atDASNGWrdasngw

2012-08-12 21:07:38 *Tunnelblick: openvpnstart status #247: Loading tun.kext

/Applications/Tunnelblick.app/Contents/Resources/tun.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) kext (kmod) start/stop routine failed; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

/Applications/Tunnelblick.app/Contents/Resources/tun.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) kext (kmod) start/stop routine failed; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

Error: Unable to load net.tunnelblick.tun and/or net.tunnelblick.tap kexts in 5 tries. Status = 71

Hello!

"When attempting to connect to a VPN, Tunnelblick may fail to load tun.kext or tap.kext. This can happen when another program, or another version of Tunnelblick, has loaded different versions of tun.kext and tap.kext. A For example, the Cisco VPN client loads conflicting kexts at system startup, and they must be unloaded for Tunnelblick to work. Viscosity loads tun.kext and tap.kext when it is running. This problem may be avoided (for Viscosity) by quitting Viscosity, or (for Cisco) by using the user-contributed script designed for that purpose"

Please see http://code.google.com/p/tunnelblick/wiki/cKnown

Kind regards