Not connected, Your IP: 18.189.2.122
Sign in to follow this  
trininja

Speed problems with normal downloads (No torrent)

Ok, what I tested so far between 22:10 - 22:35 today (And I've seen such rates since I use AirVPN.)

Delphini - 12Mbit down / 8Mbit up

Sirius - 4Mbit down / 5Mbit up

Vega - 2Mbit Down / 2Mbit up

Draconis - 9Mbit down / 7Mbit up

Leonis - 24Mbit down / 10Mbit up

Castor - 18Mbit down / 10Mbit up

Lyra - 17Mbit down / 10Mbit up

Orionis - 44Mbit down / 10 Mbit up

Virgo - 8Mbit down / 8Mbit up

Omicron - 30Mbit down / 10 Mbit up <--- This server is currently overbooked with 122/100 in the status display and gives me these speeds in the test.

Tauri - 11Mbit down / 8 Mbit up

Ok, I read several things and several possible reasons, why a connection over OpenVPN could be slow.

But I can tell, that most of them do not apply for me (I'll explain that.)

Internet Connection:

100Mbit dedicated Downlink - 10Mbit dedicated Uplink - Guaranteed speed by ISP, I work for this ISP and so I have control over my connection and the speed.

Unmetered, every port expect some trojan/botnet ports that have nothing to do with VPN are free to use and get full connectionspeed.

Connection from me -> dedicated node/CMTS for employees of this company with currently only 2 people on it because there are only 2 on this node region -> 10Gbit fibrelink to backbone in Frankfurt, Germany -> entrypoints: Level3, DECIX, Telia Sonera (Most of the time L3 and DECIX).

Download problems with:

1-click hoster: Uploaded.to (Premium account) - No problems without VPN, full 12.5MB/s speed with 2 parallel downloads, share-online.biz (premium) - same issue like ul.to

Dedicated testserver from my ISP: 10Gbit fibrelinked server for testeing download/upload settings, 1Gbit FTP in Frankfurt

Public FTPs from universitys, mirror services

Without VPN: 12.5MB/s - With VPN: look at the result up there.

No torrents, no eMule, no DC++, just plain downloads.

Hardware:

No router, Cisco developer/engineer cable modem with DOCSIS3 and unlocked.

AirVPN client on special hardware computer: X9SRi-3F mainboard with 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2687W 8xCores with 128GB ECC DDR3 and 6 x OCZ V4 SSDs

Encryption benchmark from TrueCrypt with Serpent-Twofish-AES with a 1GB file: 632MB/s Encryption - 651MB/s Decryption.

I can tell that the hardware won't be the problem.

And at the end:

I was able to test a VPN connection with a VPN server in Sweden, thanks to my friends at Com Hem (Cable internet provider in Sweden.). I got 102Mbit Download and 10Mbit Upload speed. Over VPN.

Hello!

Thank you very much for the report. We pick servers in datacenters directly connected to tier1 providers (including the big four in Europe), unfortunately this can't guarantee that all the ISPs in the world have a good peering with our servers. On top of that we make sure that we have always redundant available bandwidth for each customer (as long as he/she picks the right server).

Most of our customers can get 70-90 Mbit/s with their 100 Mbit/s lines or dedicated servers, all in all that's how the Internet works. Luckily this attention gives excellent results, since from independent peer reviews with tests from various ISPs around the world the performance is (on average) better than any competitor.

There's something very strange with your tests anyway, it appears that you can fully use your available upload bw but not your download bw. Since you work for your own ISP, we assume that you are sure of no caps on UDP ports, otherwise we would recommend you to repeat the tests connecting to TCP ports.

Kind regards

Normally there should be no UDP port limitations, but I will test TCP connections (Thats why I suggested the naming of the OpenVPN config names.) with every single port and UDP also with every port.

I will try to find out with our engineering if there could be a problem with the packet priorization mechanism, because I know that there is some sort of priorization that has to do with telephony and if that could be a reason.

Thanks for your fast response. ^^

Normally there should be no UDP port limitations, but I will test TCP connections (Thats why I suggested the naming of the OpenVPN config names.) with every single port and UDP also with every port.

Hello!

In order to speed up the configuration, instead of re-downloading everything you might like to search & replace automatically the string

'proto udp' with 'proto tcp', and string 'remote a.b.c.d 443' with 'remote a.b.c.d ' on every .ovpn file.

(Perhaps a useless suggestion for you, but maybe useful for some reader).

Kind regards

Since I downloaded all 124 files already and let a shell script do the work for me to rename everything, well, thanks for the tipp, maybe next time.

Its easier that way you suggest, I will write myself a shell script that does the .ovpn rewrite job vor me in the future, when I get time. Oh, when we talk about time, 52 hours without sleep, now I know why I downloaded 124 config files.

Since I downloaded all 124 files already and let a shell script do the work for me to rename everything, well, thanks for the tipp, maybe next time. ;)

:laugh:

Its easier that way you suggest, I will write myself a shell script that does the .ovpn rewrite job vor me in the future, when I get time. Oh, when we talk about time, 52 hours without sleep, now I know why I downloaded 124 config files. :blink:

About lack of sleep, we can ensure you that we perfectly understand you!

Kind regards

Yeah I know that anybody who is in the IT buisness (Not managers and such people.) has a really good knowledge about lack of sleep. :evil:

Sometimes I wish I could go back in time and force my younger self to get a normal job at the bank or something in an office. Normal 8 to 16 job.

Thats why I suggested the naming of the OpenVPN config names.) with every single port and UDP also with every port.

Hello!

We gladly inform you that the configuration generator has been completely re-designed and includes all of your and other customers suggestions and more.

Kind regards

Thanks for that.

But my speed problem persist. And at the moment I can't get my upload over 200 kb/s. At the moent I get 400kb/s, but how long this will last, no idea. The tested 10Mbit before are impossible to get at the moment.

Serpentis is slow as hell (0.50 MBit download and 0.6 MBit upload.) and the rest doesn't get any better than said in the entry post, after switching from G-Data Firewall to Comodo Firewall my speed is only 50% of what it was and even on G-Data I'm unable to get the speeds mentioned before.

My IPv6 problem is gone for the moment as I'm back on full DualStack, so this couldn't be the problem and I tested different ports and protocols. I'm not very statisfied at the moment.