Not connected, Your IP: 44.200.95.157
FunkyMonkey13

QVPN update, caused leaks at my parent's shop. Lawsuit coming?

I had recently updated to the latest QNAP patch and QVPN. I notice that suddenly my download speeds went from 100 mbps to a whopping 300 (the maximum).

When I checked AIRVPN's client page the next, I notice no data was being transferred since. To my horror, IPLEAK showed that the public IP address of my parent's shop was in full display for the world to see.

I disconnected and reconnected using several config generated files that all did the same thing. Finally I generated a new file that worked again. 

Please check to make sure your latest QNAP and apps aren't leaking before you start torrenting again!

I had probably over a few dozen active movie torrents when I was exposed. I'm hoping that my parent's shop being a public business, with a public wifi available to everyone will mitigate the chances of a lawsuit. 

Hello!

We can't tell you if there's a lawsuit coming or not. It depends on many factors - not least which country you're in, what you were torrenting and so forth. But I think it's generally unlikely you'll get a letter.

If you do, they can often be ignored, as proof is sparse and many rely on recipients incriminating themselves - but it goes without saying that you should definitely take this as a lesson for the future .

It's also mandatory to mention that if you were using the Eddie client, that using Network Lock where possible, is strongly recommended.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.