Not connected, Your IP: 52.90.50.252
Sign in to follow this  
apudgytiger

AirVPN with Eddie + Virtual Machines and different WiFi Networks

I use Eddie on a Windows 10 x64 laptop, and had very few issues, and I solved all of them through very simple settings within Eddie after reading here.

Recently I went to stay with a friend for a few weeks, I had been there before and haven't experienced any AirVPN-related issue associated with these visits. This time around, when I got back home again, I simply couldn't connect to the internet. All my other devices could connect to the internet (both cable and wireless), one of them (Xbox One) did suffer pretty badly from dc's if connected through wifi, but the phone and the Smart TV had good and stable wireless connection throughout the whole ordeal (and the Xbox worked flawless if connected through cable).

The laptop, however, couldn't connect at all, cable or wireless didn't matter. I uninstalled Eddie, problem remained. Before this I had of course rebooted all hardware and powercycled everything in the entire network several times, I updated (or checked for updates) everything I could - hardware, software, firmware. Double and tripple checked all DNS- and IP-related settings, flushed, released and reset pretty much everything I could.

On the third day I found a working combo.. change and give the laptop a static IP, uninstall VMWare Workstation, use OpenVPN instead of Eddie. If I try to use Eddie, then I can't connect to internet at all. If I re-install VMWare Workstation, same thing. If either of these are installed, I can't connect to internet even with Eddie not even running. And even with my working current config (static IP, no VMWare Workstation or Eddie installed, only OpenVPN, internet dies if I change back to DHCP / assign automatic IP. As long as it's on static, however, everything works just like it used to do with Eddie and VMWare - can connect with and without VPN, can use virtual machines and virtual network adapters (but with VirtualBox and so on instead of VMWare), nothing changes if I temporary use it on another WiFi and then get back home to my own network (cable or wireless doesn't make any difference).

Anyone know what could be the issue here? I can connect now, and I guess OpenVPN serves me well although I have to learn a new application to modify the config file to be as safe as the setup I had in Eddie, but it's weird and I'd rather use the software I actually want to use. Especially when it comes to VMWare Workstation (it also worked fine with AirVPN before my trip / switching wifi temporary).

I know, I should've saved logs, and I understand that I might not be able to recieve a very specific awnser here. But it's so weird and I have a feeling that I really must have missed something very, very basic..?