Not connected, Your IP: 18.208.197.243
qcihdtm

ANSWERED [SOLVED] Speed drops about 99.5% with VPN on

HI,

I started testing the service today.

I've enabled VPN at the router level.

Download without VPN connected is measured by GOOGLE at 220+ Mbits per second and upload at 12+Mbits per second.

Once I connect the VPN, GOOGLE measures at 1.1Mbits down and 1.8 Mbits up....

AirVPN test measures as follows:
Down: 18.207 Mbit/s Out, 3.024 Mbit/s In (16%), 20MB - Up: 11.208 Mbit/s Out, 2.876 Mbit/s In (25%), 20MB - Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2017 06:46:00 GMT - Buffers: 20MB/20MB - Laps: 3, Time: 252.42 secs

Is this for real?

If so... it's completely unacceptable.

Anyone else facing the similar issues?

Thanks!

I do. And it's not only on router-level, I've been fiddling with Eddy on  different machines and the all have the same problem. I'm getting 9Mb on a 200Mb line.

Not quite sure, but I think the problem started about 2 weeks ago. And of course I blamed the ISP first

EDIT:

Down: 9.837 Mbit/s Out, 9.686 Mbit/s In (98%), 20MB - Up: 18.048 Mbit/s Out, 13.927 Mbit/s In (77%), 20MB - Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2017 08:39:09 GMT - Buffers: 20MB/20MB - Laps: 3, Time: 86.27 secs

Connected to Phaet with a 15% load (154/1000 Mbit/s)

Hi,

Use Eddie first and try different ports and protocols. Also increase the buffer size.

See this guide under "Eddie can't connect or is very slow, what can I do?"

Hi nic75,

I think I've tried everything LZ1 suggested in that post. Point is that the problem is somehow related to AIRvpn, I tried (W7, W8.1, W10 and Android) Eddie, OpenVPN GUI and OpenVPN for Android with most ports and servers and they all show the same drop. I even tested at the neighbours with the same result.

I'm looking for another Pfsensebox (last one got stolen) but I would like to have this solved/explained first.

Also try and connect to different servers, first those closest to you then go farther away. Don't rely on Eddie's recommendations.

Hi nic75,

I think I've tried everything LZ1 suggested in that post. Point is that the problem is somehow related to AIRvpn, I tried (W7, W8.1, W10 and Android) Eddie, OpenVPN GUI and OpenVPN for Android with most ports and servers and they all show the same drop. I even tested at the neighbours with the same result.

I'm looking for another Pfsensebox (last one got stolen) but I would like to have this solved/explained first.

If you're testing with AirVPN's testing page I encourage you to try another test like dslreports or beta.speedtest.net.  Or try downloading an Ubuntu torrent.  That'll show you max speed.

@go558a83nk:

Terribly sorry for not responding sooner, I've been away for a while.

I've tested a.o. Ookla (beta version because no flash), internethealthtest.org, Ziggo (who uses Ookla als wel, I think) and qbittorent. I managed to get in-tunnel speeds up to 65Mb/s using UDP1194 (mssfix 1500) and I think I just leave it there, I mainly use the tunnel for Geoblocking and torrents (I have to use SSL outside the tunnel for mail and usenet anyway)

I'll try to get a pfsensebox or other designated device going, see what that will do. Still curious what's going on because this is the first time in about 2 years with this kind of trouble.

Everybody thanks for thinking with me. I'll keep you informed

Hi,same here. I've 300 MB fiber and only have 9MB with AirVPN... Very,very disappointed

I have 250 mbps down and 50 mbps up without the VPN connected.  I've found the fastest server I personally can get is 100 mbps down and 30 mpbs up.  Keep in mind you are going to lose speed while connected to a VPN but you just need to find which server works the best for you.  Also keep in mind that VPN servers geographically closer to you does NOT mean they will provide you with the best speed.  Just keep trying different servers until you find the ones that work for you.

I wish I could magically help people get good speed.  All I can tell you is that I get nearly 100% of my line speed over VPN - that is ~250mbit/s less overhead, or about 220mbit/s.  This is with a pfsense box with an AES-NI CPU.

I wish I could magically help people get good speed.  All I can tell you is that I get nearly 100% of my line speed over VPN - that is ~250mbit/s less overhead, or about 220mbit/s.  This is with a pfsense box with an AES-NI CPU.

some folks can't understand that their ISP is watching and throttling speed, so they can oversell their speeds.

some folks can't understand that their ISP is watching and throttling speed, so they can oversell their speeds.

Maybe it is ISP for some people.  Who knows. I think Air provides enough options that users should be able to get around ISP throttles.

I've been able to show with 3 different VPN providers (all with servers in the same city) that I can max out my line over VPN.

I've come to believe that the method of testing has as much to do with perceived speed as anything.

1) I prefer single stream tests.  Multi stream tests can easily saturate a line but may not give you a realistic picture like a single stream.  If you can saturate your line with a single stream then you know it's good.

2) Therefore, my test of choice lately is to simply download a youtube video.  In firefox I have greasemonkey installed, then the youtube center developer build userscript.  With that installed any youtube video page has a link to download the file.  With youtube's vast array of servers I'm very likely to get a fast connection.

... This is with a pfsense box with an AES-NI CPU.

...I've been able to show with 3 different VPN providers (all with servers in the same city) that I can max out my line over VPN....

I completely agree on the pfsencebox and the AES-NI CPU, but a direct connection through Eddie (in my case with an AMD FX-9370) should at least give the same results (imho) Like i've said earlier, I did try other providers and their speeds weren't really optimal eighter, I would normally blame that on being a) paranoid or /b) over expecting,  but since their are complaints from al over the place, it just gets me wondering.

If anyone has a suggestion for a simple test setup, I would be very glad. The cheapest pfsense for a 300mb line would be the SG-2220 and that's the kind of money I don't have right now. (sad face inserted here)

... This is with a pfsense box with an AES-NI CPU.

...I've been able to show with 3 different VPN providers (all with servers in the same city) that I can max out my line over VPN....

I completely agree on the pfsencebox and the AES-NI CPU, but a direct connection through Eddie (in my case with an AMD FX-9370) should at least give the same results (imho) Like i've said earlier, I did try other providers and their speeds weren't really optimal eighter, I would normally blame that on being a) paranoid or /b) over expecting,  but since their are complaints from al over the place, it just gets me wondering.

If anyone has a suggestion for a simple test setup, I would be very glad. The cheapest pfsense for a 300mb line would be the SG-2220 and that's the kind of money I don't have right now. (sad face inserted here)

You can build your own for cheaper.  That's what I did.  It's not a pretty, little box, but it gets the job done.

Protocol set to Automatic, send and receive buffers set to 512kb, custom directives set to "mssfix 1442". Working nicely under clean install of Windows 7 64bit powered by an Intel i7 @ 3.6GHz.

6490722235.png