Not connected, Your IP: 3.137.218.230
Sign in to follow this  
krytellan

Can't seem to get printer recognized on the VPN network

Does anyone know of a basic reason why I cannot get my computer to acknowledge my printer, both of which are connected to the VPN server? While I am no IT professional, I have always managed my own "home office" network and am mostly technology self-sufficient, but this is stumping me. 

As of today, I will be running two wireless networks in the home:
1: non-VPN home server for TiVo and Netflix streaming as well as for guests (Netgear modem/router combo)

2: Additional VPN network for all devices and computers (Asus RT-AC87U) and for streaming HDD, bridged from the Netgear

Originally I was trying to connect my computers on network 2 to my printer on network 2, with no luck. So is there something I'm missing on that front? Is there a better way to connect my printers to network 1 and send the data from the VPN server to network 1 for printing?

Any help is appreciated. When I can fix the printing, the wife will stop glaring at me.

If I read this correctly you have a non vpn lan to the netgear/modem

Then you have a vpn lan ( vpn set up in the Asus ) then that goes to the netgear/modem.

You cant access the printer.

Could it be that you have dhcp running on BOTH routers ? if so you should have one issuing the addresses EG the netgear. just asking out of interest.

Edit 1: Could it be you had the printer on a different IP /subset than you use now with your new set up ? check it and make sure its the same LAN subset as the rest of your network, if you have moved your network around its easy to slip up and miss something as simple as that.

Edit 2: After some thought it, normal it may be better to put the netgear in bridge mode if you need an dsl modem, then set up the asus as the vpn.

Shove everything into the Asus and set up a rule to pass the tivo/netflix to the wan, bypassing the vpn, this can be done in the asus, I had it working this way before I used a pfsense router.

4 lan ports on the asus take care of your tv device, computer 1, computer 2 and printer use the asus WAN to connect to the netgear thats in bridge mode, if you wanted to extend the asus LAN, use a simple switch.

I feel your pain, I too have a wife who can issue some cold hard stares and the odd bit of under the breath mumbling :-)

--