Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.90.226
Anonymousvpnuser1

Curious Bandwidth Performance

I'm on TWC 200mbit (sometimes topping out in the mid 230's mbits) and running airvpn over SSL speedtests usually give me 70-80mbs downstream (pathetically slow 1.5-2 upstream when i have 20-25 upstream capable) although airvpn test gives me much less. 

However the strange thing here is that I occasionally use a program called clipgrab to download youtube videos (usually videos that youtube wont let buffer properly and it just constantly stutters, quicker to download) and i saw something astonishing. Downloading a 500 meg video my speed went just north of 200mbits. So basically fully saturating my line. And it really was downloading that fast. 500 meg video took about 30 seconds.

Yes I was connected to airvpn. But is it possible that these downloads didn't use the VPN even though i am connected to the VPN?

Thank you.

I'm on TWC 200mbit (sometimes topping out in the mid 230's mbits) and running airvpn over SSL speedtests usually give me 70-80mbs downstream (pathetically slow 1.5-2 upstream when i have 20-25 upstream capable) although airvpn test gives me much less. 

However the strange thing here is that I occasionally use a program called clipgrab to download youtube videos (usually videos that youtube wont let buffer properly and it just constantly stutters, quicker to download) and i saw something astonishing. Downloading a 500 meg video my speed went just north of 200mbits. So basically fully saturating my line. And it really was downloading that fast. 500 meg video took about 30 seconds.

Yes I was connected to airvpn. But is it possible that these downloads didn't use the VPN even though i am connected to the VPN?

Thank you.

how do you usually test speed?

Tested with speedtest.net and speedof.me. I've come across various other tests over the years and all tell the same basic story. The speedtest here on airvpn strangely enough got even significantly lower speed results.

If ClipGrab binds to the physical network interface of your system then yes, it's possible. We provide the "Network Lock" feature to prevent traffic leaks of this (and any other) kind. Please see also:

https://www.clodo.it/blog/an-alternative-approach-to-so-called-webrtc-leaks/

Kind regards

If ClipGrab binds to the physical network interface of your system then yes, it's possible. We provide the "Network Lock" feature to prevent traffic leaks of this (and any other) kind. Please see also:

https://www.clodo.it/blog/an-alternative-approach-to-so-called-webrtc-leaks/

Kind regards

Hmm well I just activated network lock and retried the same download. Speeds bounced around between 100-170mbits. Maybe slower, maybe just some other oddity. But still vastly faster than any other downloads i've done through airvpn.

Hmm well I just activated network lock and retried the same download. Speeds bounced around between 100-170mbits. Maybe slower, maybe just some other oddity. But still vastly faster than any other downloads i've done through airvpn.

Good. So there are no problems, right?

Kind regards

Good. So there are no problems, right?

Kind regards

Would seem so

Still curious as to why this is the only scenario i'm seeing so much speed in.

Thanks though.

Maybe at 200Mbps with 500MB files, your system is limited by disk io ? If you use process monitoring utilities (eg "Task Manager" on W10, "top" on Linux) you might find that ClipGrab uses >1GB of RAM for a big buffer only written to disk at the end.

On Windoze one should run a disk defragmentation each month or so if not a SSD.