Not connected, Your IP: 3.17.74.227
Kepler_452b

US Government Publishes New Plan to Target Pirate Sites

US Government Publishes New Plan to Target Pirate Sites
  • By Andy
  • on December 13, 2016
  • C: 0
Breaking

The US Government has just released its new Joint Strategic Plan for Intellectual Property Enforcement. There's a strong "follow the money" emphasis alongside cracking down on pirate advertising, domain hopping, search engine results, and abuse of social media.

more......."https://torrentfreak.com/us-government-publishes-new-plan-to-target-pirate-sites-161213/"

That sounds great.  Seriously, not being sarcastic.

The situation when it comes to legal content distribution is far from perfect, but it's improving bit by bit so we can skip the Gabe Newell quoting.

Hello!

How impressive . Imagine if they went after the banks with the same gusto, haha.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

The pirated software "buyers" could simply go to school and learn to bypass this.  One example would be BTC for a payment vehicle.  Given proper education it is anonymous and not controlled by a Gov.  Most users are not even aware of what cyrpto is so it will block the casual user.  This issue always leaves me torn.  I hate Big Brother, but stealing intellectual property is something that needs attention.  I no longer participate but frankly used to have access to almost everything.  Not taking sides here.

as shocking as it may come to some of you, online piracy probably will not live that much longer with the current legislative climate heating up on restricting the internet as a whole. 

From an earlier post. Consider the subject of this thread Exhibit A. 

Bitcoins are in no way anonymous. That you can currently buy, own and use them anonymously does not mean you do not leave a trail of transactions that can and will eventually identify you if anyone cares to do some work.

But that is off topic here. I think most people are reading that very brief summary of the "plan" and coming up with a doomsday that will not involve them, and certainly does not target them. Perhaps you should read it again a few times if you think this will pan out into anything that will effect you.

Debugging is at least twice as hard as writing the program in the first place.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

I think that is true, Omni. This plan seems to be focused on people who make money on shared files in one way or another. It remains to be seen however how draconian the upcoming US regime will become. My best guess is that they will respect no boundaries and will change the laws to suit their interests and enforce them mercilessly...and not just in the area of file sharing. I hope I'm wrong...we'll see.

I've noticed that most US bitcoin sellers on Localbitcoin are now requiring a copy of photo ID or cell # for the transaction. Cue the sound of a ratchet being tightened....ratchet, ratchet....

Trump seemed to promise no more "business as usual", things may get weirder, and off-plan.One to watch is the end of "net neutrality" and the breakup of the US internet into balkanized "stovepipes" of carrier/content supplier/traffic type/customer subscription types/??? High bandwidth traffic from the US to one IP in Netherlands as SSL or VPN may become "special".

But plenty of distractions today on the network security cyberfront:"Russian President Vladimir Putin supervised his intelligence agencies' hacking of the U.S. presidential election..."http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-cyber-idUSKBN1441RS"The U.S. agency charged with ensuring that voting machines meet security standards was itself penetrated by a hacker after the elections ..."http://www.reuters.com/article/us-election-hack-commission-idUSKBN1442VC

I even wondered if the new guy were impeached for secret deals with Russia, and had higher level access than Snowden to secret stuff, if he would be charged with espionage, and then wondered what the federal penalty was."Julius and Ethel Rosenberg ... executed at Sing Sing Prison". "Both refused to admit any wrongdoing and proclaimed their innocence right up to the time of their deaths, by the electric chair."http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/rosenbergs-executed

The end of net neutrality and the other changes to the internet you suggest could happen under Trump. But I also think Clinton wouldn't have been any better. A few years ago she called for a modern day "Manhattan project" to bust encryption. If Trump is in the hip pocket of the surveillance state, Clinton is just as much, and probably moreso.

But more to the thread topic... I don't use AirVPN for piracy or geolocation reasons. I'm your garden variety anti-NSA, paranoid privacy fanatic. I don't have the technical savvy to get around copyright and content restrictions; I was barely able to set up AirVPN on my devices.

But, serenacat-- I get what you're saying about possible (probable?) upcoming changes to the cyber world. I have a dark foreboding of the future on that and I don't think anyone here is going to like it. At all.

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. —George Orwell

The further society drifts from truth the more it hates those who speak it. —George Orwell

A lie is as good as the truth when everyone believes.

No one ever lost a dime underestimating the intelligence of the amerikan public. {Generally attributed to H.L. Mencken}

THANK YOU: Russia Today; Edward Snowden; Julian Assange; John Kiriakou; Thomas Drake; William Binney; Ray McGovern; Kirk Wiebe; Matt Taibbi; Sputnik News

Comments earlier noted that the proposals likely did not directly affect most AirVPN users, but I think no "net neutrality" and corporate merger/monopoly profit seeking would have a broad impact, even with precedent beyond the USA. As a coincidence, todays NYT editorial is "on the case":

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/16/opinion/expect-a-cozy-trump-telecom-alliance.html

<p>

I remember in the history of movies, the big studios dominated by taking over most of the movie house distribution channel and retail. Anything European or "arty" or "indy" was only shown in some seedy part of a big city. Free to air TV is also quite restricted in type of content.

<p>

My other comments are due to somewhat of a fascination with the anarchy/evolution vs patterns of history, and the "facts" of what happens in the USA as the future becomes now. What games of thrones in the Whitehouse ?