Not connected, Your IP: 3.143.168.172
Ernst89

Websurfing very slow from Asterion

Speedtest is fine at 140Mbs.

But bringing up webpages is painfully slow, particularly news.bbc.co.uk. 

This seems a regular occurrence making AirVPN inappropriate as protection for the UK's Investigatory Powers Bill. I'm not sure why this slowdown  occurs but have AirVPN considered offering a service with a dedicated IP per customer that is more reliable. Many of us are not looking for 100% anonymity just protection from ISP interference and the IP Bill.  

Hello!

I don't see how you make the connection between UK pages not loading as quickly as you'd like and Airs ability to protect you from the Snoopers Charter. I think you'd do better not assuming it's Airs fault, when there's many very satisfied customers and instead trying to troubleshoot the problem, which is very likely on your system. Not having shared IPs would also reduce your privacy, which incidentally flies in the face of your Snoopers Charter fears.

How about you check ipleak.net to make sure you have no leaks. Maybe share your logs of when you visit the website in question, tell us about your OS, Browser and other such things?

Sent to you from me with datalove

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

I often read a bit on http://www.bbc.co.uk/news. It is a very "heavy" home page, with dozens of images (I gave up counting), lots of javascript, and uBlockOrigin shows 7 adlike monitoring thingos. So slow page loading for many tcp connections, some sequential.

But I run Firefox with ImageBlock, NoScript and UBlockOrigin addons, and just the page html is fine for reading the text, or selecting an item in another tab for turning on images, or javascript to run video etc as needed. Each addon is enabled/disabled by a single click on buttons in the top menu bar. Saves lots of waiting, and all sorts of tracking and malware risks.

At the moment, www.wired.com wins my prize for big, heavy, complex home page which screams out for trimming but has some decent content.

I actually turn off uBlock for sites I support, such as Reuters, NYT etc.

I did troubleshoot. I use pfSense so I can flip an alias to route a PC over AirVPN or the standard WAN.

When I route over AirVPN the pages  load very slowly or not at all. When I just use the WAN pages load quickly. 

The only thing I'm not 100% certain of if it is just the BBC or some other websites too. 

The OS is Win 10 the browsers are chrome and edge. I could try on Ubuntu too but it has never made any difference in the past.

I have used AirVPN for years. For much of that time I used it for everything including browsing, recently it has become harder to do this.

Of the UK servers Naos was quick but blocked by many UK sites and the London RedStation servers were slow for downloads. The BBC news website has been problematic for a long time.

What have DNS leaks got to do with anything?

I did troubleshoot. I use pfSense so I can flip an alias to route a PC over AirVPN or the standard WAN.

When I route over AirVPN the pages  load very slowly or not at all. When I just use the WAN pages load quickly. 

The only thing I'm not 100% certain of if it is just the BBC or some other websites too. 

The OS is Win 10 the browsers are chrome and edge. I could try on Ubuntu too but it has never made any difference in the past.

I have used AirVPN for years. For much of that time I used it for everything including browsing, recently it has become harder to do this.

Of the UK servers Naos was quick but blocked by many UK sites and the London RedStation servers were slow for downloads. The BBC news website has been problematic for a long time.

What have DNS leaks got to do with anything?

how are you controlling DNS usage per interface?  Just curious since I use pfsense too.  Do WAN interface devices also use Air DNS?

Air DNS is slower than huge corporate DNS, I can testify to that.  Maybe that's the slowness you're seeing?

Wireshark https://www.wireshark.org can capture the fine grain timing of IP traffic routed inside or outside the VPN tunnel. So slower connections to DNS or javascript sources or image servers etc, or everything through the tunnel/server, could be identified.

But it would take some effort to filter through the data and analyse - a shark captures you with the teeth to bleed you to death over time, rather than just drowning you in data.

Speedtest is fine at 140Mbs.

But bringing up webpages is painfully slow, particularly news.bbc.co.uk. 

This seems a regular occurrence making AirVPN inappropriate as protection for the UK's Investigatory Powers Bill. I'm not sure why this slowdown  occurs but have AirVPN considered offering a service with a dedicated IP per customer that is more reliable. Many of us are not looking for 100% anonymity just protection from ISP interference and the IP Bill.  

If you are worried about the Snoopers Charter i would not bother connecting to the UK at all. The bill won't be enacted on a technical level for about a year or so, but frankly who knows what they are up to between now and then. There are servers just across the channel in the Netherlands and Belgium that are many times safer and you might just find some of them are faster ( NL has great peering in Europe). Being in NA i have to connect to servers across the Atlantic to exit in a country with decent privacy laws, and i can still get well over 40 mbit/s sometimes up to 180 mbit depending on which server and what country. 

I guess what i am saying is, would it really kill you to use a server that's just 10ms away? I have to deal with 100-170ms all the time. AirVPN also routes all sites that are geoblocked into the country via a routing server, so you can still go to bbc, iplayer etc. from these other servers. If you find one that isn't all you have to do is ask. 

I use pfsense DNS resolver for DNS. This is the same regardless of if I route a PC over AirVPN or not.

There is clearly a problem with the BBC site via AirVPN. This isn't new it has occurred on and off for at least a year.

For London the NL servers are not much further away than Naos in Manchester. It's an added 20ms for uk sites as it is going there and back. However the problem is not the latency but the GeoLocation, it's a constant fight not to get directed to Dutch versions of websites. Whilst the Dutch do all speak English, for some reason I don't understand, they often use Dutch on their websites, which is problematic.

The BBC news website is actually ok from NL although IPlayer doesn't work.

My general point is that I want a VPN to protect me from the IP Bill but I'm not willing to put the effort in to have to constantly change my servers or implement work arounds for GeoLocation. At the moment AirVPN uses so few IP addresses it is easy for websites to recognise them and discriminate against them. 

I would like a VPN service that did not suffer from this problem even if it was less secure. If AirVPN could offer me a unique IP and not keep logs I would be happy. Yes I recognise that this is not as secure as a shared IP but it is good enough for me. Some people may be in denial about these problems but they are clearly visible to anyone who chooses to notice them.  

I use pfsense DNS resolver for DNS. This is the same regardless of if I route a PC over AirVPN or not.

There is clearly a problem with the BBC site via AirVPN. This isn't new it has occurred on and off for at least a year.

For London the NL servers are not much further away than Naos in Manchester. It's an added 20ms for uk sites as it is going there and back. However the problem is not the latency but the GeoLocation, it's a constant fight not to get directed to Dutch versions of websites. Whilst the Dutch do all speak English, for some reason I don't understand, they often use Dutch on their websites, which is problematic.

The BBC news website is actually ok from NL although IPlayer doesn't work.

My general point is that I want a VPN to protect me from the IP Bill but I'm not willing to put the effort in to have to constantly change my servers or implement work arounds for GeoLocation. At the moment AirVPN uses so few IP addresses it is easy for websites to recognise them and discriminate against them. 

I would like a VPN service that did not suffer from this problem even if it was less secure. If AirVPN could offer me a unique IP and not keep logs I would be happy. Yes I recognise that this is not as secure as a shared IP but it is good enough for me. Some people may be in denial about these problems but they are clearly visible to anyone who chooses to notice them.  

Most VPN services you will find will not offer a dedicated IP. The ones that do are either insecure, no exits in the UK or both. As far as geolocation and website redirection goes, the only three official english speaking countries on this list are the US, Canada and the UK. The NSA is in the US and the IP bill is now in the UK. In terms of servers in English speaking countries, your best bet is Canada which is about 90 ms or so away.