Not connected, Your IP: 3.142.96.146
Elvenstar

Is the beta stable and worth it or should I just stay on 2.10 ?

Hi everyone,

I've been using AirVPN for a couple of months now and I've been thinking about switching to beta 2.11 version because I like having the latest version of anything even if it's in beta and if it can help you guys make the software better that's great too.

But since it's a beta I'm a bit concerned about the stability...Is there a big chance that the software will crash or that the network lock will fail ? I do not mind if it sometimes disconnects as long as the network lock stands strong.

Also small stupidly obvious question I guess but I might as well ask it : is every protocol in Eddie encrypted ? I am using SSL tunnel to be completely sure right now (university network, don't want them to know nor block what I'm doing) but it's quite a bit slower than if I just leave it on automatic.

Thank you

Hello!

I use the Beta everyday and I can't distinguish between the Beta and the Stable version, in terms of stability. In other words, it's just fine. Besides, you can always roll back to the Stable. The university doesn't know what you're doing anyway, if you don't use SSL. With SSL it may just be harder to block you and to know that you're using a VPN.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Many users have no problem with Experimental and if you are using Windows, you would want to use Experimental if you have no issues with it as it has better compatibility for various anti-virus software, etc.

And yes, every protocol is encrypted, "SSL" is a wrapper for OpenVPN (OpenVPN over SSL) which will make it impossible to know what your doing (as there is no OpenVPN fingerprint that may be discovered by DPI). It is normal for it to be slower as it forces OpenVPN to work in TCP (as well as stunnel, so technically it's double TCP).

"I don't see myself as a hero because what I'm doing is self-interested: I don't want to live in a world where there's no privacy and therefore no room for intellectual exploration and creativity." - Edward Snowden

"The Internet is by the people, for the people." - Kim Dotcom

If you haven't updated to 2.11.7 experimental, I'd recommend it.  

It's stable and no problems since I updated from 2.10.3. the current stable version.

Don't hesitate to report a problem to staff if you run into a problem. They're very willing to assist.

Don't let governments or politicians take your privacy or freedom away from you.

They will if you let them, once they are elected ! many politicians forget,..in a democracy, they are elected By the people for the people, not the other way round !  "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." - George Orwell 

It's stable and no problems since I updated from 2.10.3. the current stable version.

Don't hesitate to report a problem to staff if you run into a problem. They're very willing to assist.

I have gone to the download page for 'Experimental' ... https://airvpn.org/linux/ ... and I was presented with this file which I did download, eddie-ui_2.11_linux_x64_debian.deb. I can't find where to download other beta versions such as the 2.11.7 mentioned. I haven't installed it yet but I'd sooner get the latest one. Just joined yesterday ... liking it! thanks.

​Linux Mint 18.3 Mate, AirVPN with eddie 2.16.3  (updated Sept 12, 2018)

I have gone to the download page for 'Experimental' ... https://airvpn.org/linux/ ... and I was presented with this file which I did download, eddie-ui_2.11_linux_x64_debian.deb. I can't find where to download other beta versions such as the 2.11.7 mentioned. I haven't installed it yet but I'd sooner get the latest one. Just joined yesterday ... liking it! thanks.

That's the right one. It's always the latest one you're downloading. It's just that Air hasn't changed its naming conventions I suppose. After launching the program, you can simply check its "About" section to see the version. Anyhow, Welcome to AirVPN!

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

That's the right one. It's always the latest one you're downloading. It's just that Air hasn't changed its naming conventions I suppose. After launching the program, you can simply check its "About" section to see the version. Anyhow, Welcome to AirVPN!

Thank you! Installed ... yes About says Version 2.11.7.  Uninstalled the old one ... installed this one. Everything was the same and logged right in as usual on reboot (thanks to those other tips on autologin). Perfect. Using Mint 17.1.

​Linux Mint 18.3 Mate, AirVPN with eddie 2.16.3  (updated Sept 12, 2018)

Thank you! Installed ... yes About says Version 2.11.7. Uninstalled the old one ... installed this one. Everything was the same and logged right in as usual on reboot (thanks to those other tips on autologin). Perfect. Using Mint 17.1.
Haha, works like a charm indeed . Enjoy!

P.S. Join us on 18, Sarah is where the real party is at ;D Haha