Not connected, Your IP: 18.118.148.178
frustowh

An issue setting preferences

Recently I uninstalled Kaspersky Total to install something else.

Air will no longer run on startup, and when I try to change preferences I get

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
   at Microsoft.Win32.TaskScheduler.V2Interop.ITaskFolder.RegisterTaskDefinition(String Path, ITaskDefinition pDefinition, Int32 flags, Object UserId, Object password, TaskLogonType LogonType, Object sddl)
   at Microsoft.Win32.TaskScheduler.TaskFolder.RegisterTaskDefinition(String Path, TaskDefinition definition, TaskCreation createType, String UserId, String password, TaskLogonType LogonType, String sddl)
   at Microsoft.Win32.TaskScheduler.TaskFolder.RegisterTaskDefinition(String Path, TaskDefinition definition)
   at AirVPN.Platforms.Windows.SetAutoStart(Boolean value)
   at AirVPN.Gui.Forms.Settings.SaveOptions()
   at AirVPN.Gui.Forms.Settings.cmdOk_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1080.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
UI.Windows
    Assembly Version: 2.10.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.10.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/******/Desktop/New%20folder/airvpn_windows8_x64_portable/AirVPN.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1038.0 built by: NETFXREL2
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1081.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1078.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Platforms.Windows
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/******/Desktop/New%20folder/airvpn_windows8_x64_portable/Platforms.Windows.DLL
Lib.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/******/Desktop/New%20folder/airvpn_windows8_x64_portable/Lib.Core.DLL
System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1064.2 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Lib.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/******/Desktop/New%20folder/airvpn_windows8_x64_portable/Lib.Forms.DLL
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Core
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1084.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1064.2 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.ServiceProcess
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.ServiceProcess/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.ServiceProcess.dll
System.Management
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
Microsoft.Win32.TaskScheduler
    Assembly Version: 2.1.1.28248
    Win32 Version: 2.1.1.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/******/Desktop/New%20folder/airvpn_windows8_x64_portable/Microsoft.Win32.TaskScheduler.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled but every time I try to change the preferences, I get the same message.

Sorry if I've done this wrong, but any help would be appreciated.

Hello!

You should try the Experimental Eddie client and see if that helps

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Thank you for both of your answers.

I'm running Eddie and running it as an Admin.

It seems the issue is whenever I try to check the preference of "Microsoft Windows Only: Start With Windows"

I can tick every other box without issue, but the above preference is the one that keeps giving me problems.

Did you try without Kaspersky? There are very little chances anything can help

you if this was the case (Kaspersky). There is nothing can be done against a software

with a signed driver, which kicks in at first priority and takes care of process spawning.

If you have a change to whitelist the Eddie client or to ignore it's process, try the above steps

again. The AV companies have much more resources than a company like Air, and their

interest is to "hijack" as many software/traffic as possible, since this is what builds the AI

machine for future purpose of blocking future threats, which is their business.

My personal recommendation to you, and to anyone who uses all those "Internet Security"

packages, is to downgrade them back to the regular Antivirus solution, and use the Air client

with the network lock on.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Thank you for your prompt reply. It's greatly appreciated!

I've tried all of your suggestions before. I've uninstalled all AV software and run Air as an Admin, run Eddie and older versions and I still get the same message.

I used WinPatrol before and uninstalled it completely when this became an issue (t was never an issue before)

Network Lock still works, but the UI just doesn't. When I do load it (manually) I still can't change some settings (under the Preference tab)

See my first post. Thank you.

Actually the debugging .NET log is less relevant in your case, since this does not

indicate a client issue, rather than a permissions issue on your side. From this log

it is not quite possible to know what causes it, unless you run some 3d party tool

like API monitor.

A better troubleshooting would be a full Eddie log with all the relevant OS details.

Note that Kaspersky can cause issues like this, and you stated that you installed

even more solutions except that (Winpatrol, etc). Make sure to disable them when

you are trying to run Eddie again.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

I'm still curious if the experimental client would've solved it for you. Did you ever try it?

Oh and I'd be careful around that suspicious "zhang888" person, as you never know if he'll suddenly build a wall somewhere and proceed to blame China for this "global warming hoax" it created, on his Twitter account!

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Again thank you!

Sorry if I wasn't clear before, I actually unstalled WinPatrol and all other security programs. Installed Air, still get the same message even whem my comp is "bare"

Uninstalled and reinstallled Air from scratch and it's stil the same message.

LZ1, I hope you are being sarcastic. Otherwise, you will find yourself on the other side of my wall

frustowh,

What is your OS configuration? Are you a local Administrator on your system?

Otherwise you cannot install and start high privileged apps like OpenVPN. 

​I think it was an issue regarding .net Framework (perhaps not) but using Net Repair Tool fixed the issue.

​Thank you for your help!

​(PS sorry if i wasted anyone's time)