Not connected, Your IP: 54.225.35.224
yoann_taraud

Network lock froze my Windows Firewall and Windows update

Hello all,

I recently activate the network lock option on the AirVPN client (2 months ago), but unfortunately since i activate this option the Windows Update Center can't load and install anymore new update of windows. Furthermore, if I shut down the Airvpn client I can't connect on network, even if deactivate network lock, shutdown windows firewall and antivirus. I uninstall the Arivpn client, no effect. I used the windows recovery mode and choose a date before activation of the network lock option...same, no effect. All is runing like the network lock frozed my windows firewall in "no exchange mode", even in deactivate the firewall.

So I'm here to find some help, because I absolutely don't know how to resolve this problem and now my windows os is out of date.

Thanks for your help.

PS: operating system -> Windows Vista Home premium 64 bits SP2

Airvpn clent: 2.10.3

Open CMD as admin > netsh interface "your_interface_name" set dnsservers dhcp

your_interface_name can be seen in the list of interface controllers in your network settings.

It all sounds like DNS issue, and with 2.10 there was an issue with DNS not reverting back to normal.

I also strongly recommend you to upgrade to at least Windows 7.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Open CMD as admin > netsh interface "your_interface_name" set dnsservers dhcp

your_interface_name can be seen in the list of interface controllers in your network settings.

Thank you very much for answering giganerd.

I didn't understand how i can find "my interface name". My windows os is in french and i have difficulties to find what you mean corresponding to my os. Can you be more precise and send me a link with the procedure to find it? Thank you very much.

1. Open CMD as admin
  2. netsh interface ipv4 show interfaces
  3. Depending on whether you use LAN or WLAN to connect to the internet, look for a LAN or WLAN interface which has the state "connected". Not TAP, not Teredo, not Miniport, also not VirtualBox/TeamViewer adapter! The name is something like "local area connection" or "wireless local area connecton 2". I only know the german name, sorry. Maybe a picture can help, look below. It says that I have three connected interfaces, "Loopback", "LAN-Verbindung" and "Drahtlosnetzwerkverbindung 3". Since I know that the latter is the interface for WLAN connection sharing and loopback is, well, a loopback, my primary interface is "LAN-Verbindung".
  4. netsh interface "your_interface_name_from_command_above" set dnsservers dhcp

The GUI way (assuming Windows 7):

Control panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing (or so) > In acive networks click on the one having an internet connection (again, no TAP, Teredo, VirtualBox etc.) > Properties > IPv4 > Properties > Check in both tabs that all is set to Automatic > OK > OK > OK > ...

Thank you very much, i'm very close to the answer now!

Your command show me 3 interfaces connected (see my screenprint joined), if i disabled Airvpn client, the third interfaces gone to disconnected state as you can see on my sreen print on the second request. Wish do you think is my primary interfaces according to this, the second or the third? For information, "réseau local" means in english something like local network.

My screen print: uxx2psrChMLF.jpg

Type:

netsh interface ipv4 set dnsservers "Connexion au réseau local" dhcp

Réseau local 2 is most probably the TAP driver. Windows identifies it as a second LAN interface.

Thank you for helping.

The command return this error message:

La commande suivante n'a pas été trouvée : interface ipv4 set dnsservers "Connexion au réseau local" dhcp.

"la commande suivante n'a pas été trouvée" mean something like "the command after can't be found".

Vista is not something well-tested nor recommended, Microsoft ended it's support early 2012, which is

nearly 5 years ago. This might not be related to this issue, but you are exposing yourself to other threats.

You say that Windows Update doesn't work anymore, but it shouldn't actually. Microsoft will only issue

critical security updates for your OS, and not the regular monthly ones.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

The GUI way (assuming Windows 7):

Control panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing (or so) > In acive networks click on the one having an internet connection (again, no TAP, Teredo, VirtualBox etc.) > Properties > IPv4 > Properties > Check in both tabs that all is set to Automatic > OK > OK > OK > ...

I used this way and I find that the DNS was effectively not automatic but determine on my "Connexion réseau local " network interface. So I put it in automatic mode, I restart the computer... nothing happen, always no update and no internet connection when I cut down Airvpn Client.

Thanks

Vista is not something well-tested nor recommended, Microsoft ended it's support early 2012, which is

nearly 5 years ago. This might not be related to this issue, but you are exposing yourself to other threats.

You say that Windows Update doesn't work anymore, but it shouldn't actually. Microsoft will only issue

critical security updates for your OS, and not the regular monthly ones.

Hello shang888,

I think that upgrading my OS isn't the purpose of my troubleshooting. This OS was perfectly running before, furthermore the windows update software clearly send an error message that he can't acceed to the new updates, same for windows defender. Finally, when I shut down Airvpn client I can't connect to internet anymore, that's a problem and not a Vista problem. Whatever, if one day I need to change my OS and keep my computer, I will put a Debiane or a Xubuntu.

But thank you to give me your advice.

when I shut down Airvpn client I can't connect to internet anymore, that's a problem and not a Vista problem

Could you please try the portable client v2.11b? Set your DNS to automatic again, then go to Enter > Windows > Other versions at the bottom > Experimental > Download.

You might want to copy the AirVPN.xml from your current installation into the directory of the portable client to migrate settings.

Could you please try the portable client v2.11b? Set your DNS to automatic again, then go to Enter > Windows > Other versions at the bottom > Experimental > Download.

You might want to copy the AirVPN.xml from your current installation into the directory of the portable client to migrate settings.

Done, but unfortunately, eddie client 2.11b crash at startup. I copy the AirVPN.xml from my local personnal folder to the main directory of the new Airvpn eddie 2.11b but it has no effect, the programm crash immediatly, screen print of the crash joined.

fIlXo2PBES3J.jpg

Woah.. This is something for the Eddie developers..

But first make sure you have the latest .NET Framework installed. Most recent version is 4.6.2, I think.

But first make sure you have the latest .NET Framework installed. Most recent version is 4.6.2, I think.

Thanks for helping me giganerd.

My version was 4.5.2 so i upgrade to 4.6.0, last versions (4.6.1 /4.6.2) are not compatible with windows vista sp2...

Whatever I try again with this new 4.6.0 .NET Framework software freshly upgraded, but unfortunately same, Eddie 2.11b crash at startup.  

Okay. Post it in Eddie 2.11beta available, please.

Done, unfortunately no one can help me. Clodo ask me to use a command that didn't work on my computer and now no one answer to me... as you can see on page 11: https://airvpn.org/topic/18625-eddie-211beta-available/page-11

Can someone help me? Because the Airvpn client broke my Windows OS and if it's running like this I will have to re-install my Windows OS...!

thanks

Hello!

I recommend the following:

1. If you can open the Eddie client at all, go to the logs section and click the lifebelt icon. Then paste the contents into an AirVPN support ticket. Remember to delete your password, which will show in those logs. This will give Clodo and/or the AirVPN support team the best opportunity at examining your problem and trying to solve it. If not for you, then perhaps for others, later on.
  2. Then proceed to delete Windows Vista and install some kind of Linux distribution lol. Or consider dual-booting at least, so that you can run Windows & Linux, as needed. Vista is cancer (put mildly).
  3. Try go to windows firewall and find the option to "reset" it. Not turn it off or disable it, but actually "reset" it. This can fix NL (Network Lock) issues sometimes.
  4. Try the latest experimental client if you haven't. Make sure to delete everything already installed and do some restarts, if possible. The crash you experienced back there, was a result of a Windows Filtering Platform error I believe, as I got it too, whenever WFP was enabled. Thus, in the experimental, "WFP" is disabled, in the advanced settings.
  5. Maybe you could even use CCleaner to do a sweep. Especially with its ability to clean up the registry a bit.
  6. I don't know if you've tried it, but have you tried running the client as Admin? Or perhaps changing its compatibility mode?

Even though we can't force you to change your OS, I don't think it's realistic to expect this problem to be solved by Air, sorry to say . As previously stated by others, Vista is quite old. Not as old as XP, of course, but still old enough. This presents a variety of problems.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Thanks LZ1 for helping.

Hello!

I recommend the following:

1. If you can open the Eddie client at all, go to the logs section and click the lifebelt icon. Then paste the contents into an AirVPN support ticket. Remember to delete your password, which will show in those logs. This will give Clodo and/or the AirVPN support team the best opportunity at examining your problem and trying to solve it. If not for you, then perhaps for others, later on.

4.Try the latest experimental client if you haven't. Make sure to delete everything already installed and do some restarts, if possible. The crash you experienced back there, was a result of a Windows Filtering Platform error I believe, as I got it too, whenever WFP was enabled. Thus, in the experimental, "WFP" is disabled, in the advanced settings.

Done. The Eddie Beta version 2.11.6 run on my computer! I have 2 errors, one for the SLL (but seems to be also for others) one for the WFP as you think.

2. Then proceed to delete Windows Vista and install some kind of Linux distribution lol. Or consider dual-booting at least, so that you can run Windows & Linux, as needed. Vista is cancer (put mildly).

Even though we can't force you to change your OS, I don't think it's realistic to expect this problem to be solved by Air, sorry to say . As previously stated by others, Vista is quite old. Not as old as XP, of course, but still old enough. This presents a variety of problems.

My windows vista was perfectly runing before Airvpn client break the WFP. If Vista is cancer, so Airvpn client is heart attack !!!   I think maybe you have to indicate that Airvpn client is not compatible with Vista or put some warning screens at install in order to avoid this kind of trouble for Windows vista users.

3. Try go to windows firewall and find the option to "reset" it. Not turn it off or disable it, but actually "reset" it. This can fix NL (Network Lock) issues sometimes.

Already done no effects.

5. Maybe you could even use CCleaner to do a sweep. Especially with its ability to clean up the registry a bit.

Good idea i will try.

6. I don't know if you've tried it, but have you tried running the client as Admin? Or perhaps changing its compatibility mode?

I tried, no effects.

Thanks LZ1

Hello,

So I install Eddie 2.11.7 beta version and now it's running very well. I disabled the WFP option in order to avoid the error at startup.

My problem is, as you said, on my WFP, this is the error message on the log if I keep the WFP option enable: Windows WFP, Add rule failed: WFP Error. (0x80320026)

I sweep the registry and all other options but it had no effects.

I think finally I never do it. I search it but I can't find some reset options, did you know where I can find a tutorial to reset my WFP/Windows Firewall ? Thank you very much.

There's something about WFP on your machine. Can you check whether you have the latest version of the .NET framework installed? For Vista it's 4.5.2.

Thanks for helping me giganerd.

My version was 4.5.2 so i upgrade to 4.6.0, last versions (4.6.1 /4.6.2) are not compatible with windows vista sp2...

Whatever I try again with this new 4.6.0 .NET Framework software freshly upgraded, but unfortunately same, Eddie 2.11b crash at startup.

Wow, that was really smart, giganerd. Really smart.

I think I went full retard here.

Wow, that was really smart, giganerd. Really smart.

I think I went full retard here.

I opened a Support Ticket and now staff is helping me.

So now my Eddie 2.11.7 beta versions is perfectly running on my computer! Good!

And I have internet now without the Airvpn client, very good!

But the windows update still can't download and install updates...damned...

I'm glad it worked out for you bro .

For the MS thing you can try this or this update fixer.

Provided you get to install updates, but there's still something wrong with them, this tool can also help. Naturally, if none of the tools work, you may be looking at a re-install anyway .

Could be Vista is cancer, but that AirVPN triggered it lol, but that's just like a pensioner going for a run and the healthy run triggering a heart attack ;D. While if the pensioner had just updated his fitness regimen earlier and thus conditioned his body to the exercise... ;) Haha. I don't think it's realistic for Air to warn users of potential problems. Other providers don't do this I think and maybe it would scare some away. But also, then they'd have to append a warning for every OS and that if it breaks, it's not Airs fault. That's called a ToS and no one reads them! So if we're going to do this, I demand that Air also puts "User may become Enlightened and never look at VPNs the same way again, may cause permanent disgust with regards to services provided by other VPNs" into the ToS, yep *ACCEPT!*

Good day bro.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

I'm glad it worked out for you bro .

For the MS thing you can try this or this update fixer.

Provided you get to install updates, but there's still something wrong with them, this tool can also help. Naturally, if none of the tools work, you may be looking at a re-install anyway .

Could be Vista is cancer, but that AirVPN triggered it lol, but that's just like a pensioner going for a run and the healthy run triggering a heart attack ;D. While if the pensioner had just updated his fitness regimen earlier and thus conditioned his body to the exercise... ;) Haha. I don't think it's realistic for Air to warn users of potential problems. Other providers don't do this I think and maybe it would scare some away. But also, then they'd have to append a warning for every OS and that if it breaks, it's not Airs fault. That's called a ToS and no one reads them! So if we're going to do this, I demand that Air also puts "User may become Enlightened and never look at VPNs the same way again, may cause permanent disgust with regards to services provided by other VPNs" into the ToS, yep *ACCEPT!*

Good day bro.

I tried all of this and nothing works to repair my Windows Update center... I'm very happy!

So, as my wife absolutly don't want to hear about Linux on her computer, I will install windows 7 on the computer... damned!!!