Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.131.28
Sign in to follow this  
Dosenfleisch

ANSWERED Eddie in OpenSUSE Leap 42.1 Suggestion for Multiple OVPN import to Netmanager

Upon discovery that AirVPN had a really good product offering,  a  n  d   a client that was available for OpenSUSE, I jumped at it!  After taking Eddie for a run, I went for a year subscription.  Then the little chap decided he didn't need to be on his best behaviour any longer.  With three separate installations in this house, Eddie did the same thing, freezing the desktop, then upon reboot it was still running and defiantly refusing to allow changing of servers or to disconnect amid a flurry of popups that "Eddie was still running".  Then on one machine, the OS would no longer boot into the desktop.  Long story short, I fixed that by the skin of my teeth and immediately removed the Eddie client from all machines and went to Plan B, manual configuration.  And that brings me to my suggestion:

As good an idea that Eddie was and I liked the graphical information, I can live without it.  AirVPN's service is awesome and they make importation of individual server, individual country or continental files easy.  Nevertheless, setting up all these files in Networkmanager is a bit time consuming, doing it one file at a time. 

THE SUGGESTION:  Could a macro not be devised that would install all these config files, modify them with DNS server settings and also input the password?  My skill set doesn't include writing the code to accomplish this, but I figure if I can conceive of a tool, some clever lad somewhere could create a plugin to do this, right?  For AirVPN to offer such a tool that tightly integrates with a Network Manager that is common to a great many distros would have significant value to the Linux community.

At the very outside this would be an half hour's work, forty five minutes tops, right?

Otherwise, given these symptoms, has anyone had a similar experience or a suggestion how I might be able to salvage using the Eddie client?

THE SUGGESTION:  Could a macro not be devised that would install all these config files, modify them with DNS server settings and also input the password?

I think you are confusing AirVPN with other services, there are no passwords involved in the OpenVPN client and servers configs.

All you have to do is generate your configs in the Client Area, and import them in the network manager.

You can generate any country/server specific config with it.

Also, you might want to look at the AirVPN CLI.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Thank you so much for replying to my post.  I'm not being critical, nor am I confusing AirVPN with other services.   I am in fact rather pleased with AirVPN, but my suggestion is constructive as I find individual files imported still need to be edited to include airvpn's dns address.  The password does as you said, get imported.  Any config file I downloaded previously with VPNarea and Cyberghost that needed to be imported to OpenSUSE Networkmanager required considerable input, to include password and DNS settings, to work effectively so AirVPN is in this respect, a vast improvement. 

Nevertheless, my suggestion stands as I think there is a need for it.  How would you like to take that on Mr. Zhang?

Thanks for the CLI recommendation, but although I am not holding my breath, I look forward to a functional and stable version of Eddie that won't crash my OS.  There's something about OpenSUSE in that it refuses to run properly unless the application was developed by OpenSUSE itself. 

I am not saying your suggestion does not have a valid place to exist, I say that you can already import everything to the network manager with one single

.ovpn file that you download from the client area. There are no additional clicks beyond that, and no usernames and passwords to input.

If you want to make a script that you can call and it will "place" the OpenVPN config file into the right network manager location, it might be more tricky

than it sounds. One of the reasons is, that the location of NetworkManager varies from distribution to distribution, and even in across various desktop

managers across the same distribution.

For example, in Ubuntu+Gnome is it in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections , while in Kubuntu (Ubuntu+KDE) it is in ~/.kde/share/apps/networkmanagement/connections.

This is quite non standard, because any desktop manager places this small applet in it's own hierarchy. I am not aware of any provider that offers such script

as a supported solution.

Once you find the correct location for your distribution, it's fairly easy to create multiple instances for your connections there. The format is simple

and is the same as the OpenVPN just with '=' instead of space.

On Arch, my location was /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections with all the conenctions there as the following files:

[connection]
id=AirVPN   ##Any name goes here
uuid=e8acf501-16a7-471a-a82a-bcf47d1ec42e  ##cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/uuid
type=vpn
permissions=
secondaries=

[vpn]
connection-type=tls
auth=SHA1
remote=server.com:443
cipher=AES-256-CBC
cert-pass-flags=0
cert=/home/user/.cert/nm-openvpn/vpn-cert.pem
key=/home/user/.cert/nm-openvpn/vpn-key.pem
dev=tun
ca=/home/user/.cert/nm-openvpn/vpn-ca.pem
service-type=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.openvpn

[ipv4]
dns-search=
method=auto

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Hello,

about Eddie, you should run Eddie 2.11.3 beta, because Eddie 2.10.3 is not compatible with Mono 4.

Additionally, have a look at libgdiplus bug which affected older openSUSE versions, just in case the bug has not been fixed Probably it has, but from your description it's worth a check anyway, because the issue somehow reminds that bug.

https://airvpn.org/topic/11573-opensuse/

On top of that, a major issue in openSUSE was that Eddie started but without root privileges if Mono was not installed, so it's safer that you manually check (and resolve if necessary) dependencies.

Kind regards

Hello,

about Eddie, you should run Eddie 2.11.3 beta, because Eddie 2.10.3 is not compatible with Mono 4.

Additionally, have a look at libgdiplus bug which affected older openSUSE versions, just in case the bug has not been fixed Probably it has, but from your description it's worth a check anyway, because the issue somehow reminds that bug.

https://airvpn.org/topic/11573-opensuse/

On top of that, a major issue in openSUSE was that Eddie started but without root privileges if Mono was not installed, so it's safer that you manually check (and resolve if necessary) dependencies.

Kind regards

Thank you Mr. Zhang and to the staff member:  This post was helpful.  Both dependencies were there, no changes were required.  This beta seems a bit more polished and for now stable.