Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.166.7

@staff

So, with the new cli are all the options actually:

-cli -option=something

As in 1 dash and a = for everything except for -cli? The man page is well... I want to rewrite the man page. Also, wouldn't it make more sense to just include a second script called something like airvpn-cli (where a script inside runs the cli instead of the gui) or similar so you can pull the whole -cli part out and write the manpage just for airvpn-cli instead? Seems to me like this would make more sense going forward since the gui is self explanitory and the man page is really needed for the cli version in my opinion. Your thoughts? 

Also, in the man page shouldn't this:

password = Password of your AirVPN account - Default: -Empty-

actually be something like this:

-password="Password"

Password of your AirVPN account - Default: -Empty-

It may be necessary if not now in the future to include "my_user-name" for the shell to recognize _ and - correctly etc... 

Okay, so I started to work on the man page for linux. Does no one care or? 

Here is the old one:

25968ca4193619aa0a849c607a906e39.png

Here is the one I am working on (you can see where I stopped):

8a47c02b65399763d8cd21471bb9f811.png

Some of the sections in the manual do not make a whole lot of sense to me so I was waiting to hear from staff to hear their thoughts. I did not want to make too many changes to the text itself. Okay take care. 

Hello,

a man page deserves its own thread. The other ones are off-topic partially, and anyway on the original thread you posted into we want to focus on Eddie 2.11.x bug reporting and fixing.

We are interested, let's also see community feedback.

Kind regards

Thank you hungryghost! We really need a better man page. I also like your idea about having a different script for the command line client. Is way more organized.

You are right, "man" and Eddie CLI can be better.
However, man pages are generated automatically by Eddie, so we can improve them, but we can't "import" an external "airvpn.1" file created by you.
Please simply be patient, the next beta release will contain your suggested improvements.

Kind regards

@staff

Yes, I understand. I will complete this project at my leisure (still sorting out the formatting) and either add a pacman hook for my system and/or contact the person who maintains the aur package and see if it is something they want to implement directly.

@Kloppix @UncleHunto

Thanks. After thinking about it for a while however I think it would make more sense to simply structure the man page to include all options and create sections and subsections for the gui and cli so that there can be a single standalone man page for airvpn itself instead of the whole "console edition" part that is in there now. I was also thinking that it should probably be clear in the manual whether or not an option is mandatory (when specifying the -gui or -cli flag) or optional and to explain that certain additional packages must be installed to use some additional features (I am referring to the optional dependencies of ssh and stunnel).

@UncleHunto

Are you an Arch Linux user and the maintainer of this package? If so; then your thoughts about the above ^^?

Also, any experience in writing systemd service files?    ^__^

I am currently using: (sleep 10 && terminator -e "sudo ~/Documents/Scripts/airvpn") but would prefer to launch right after all of my network targets were up.

@all

Off-topic: I cannot seem to middle click paste on this site (a space is inserted instead (works everywhere else in my browser)). Is there a setting somewhere on the forums? Is it just a problem on my end? I think I have run into this before on another forum a long time ago but do not remember how I sorted it out; or if I did at all.  ..... Update: Solved. Click gear in text editor and enable option  "Paste as plain text by default". 

@Kloppix @UncleHunto

Thanks. After thinking about it for a while however I think it would make more sense to simply structure the man page to include all options and create sections and subsections for the gui and cli so that there can be a single standalone man page for airvpn itself instead of the whole "console edition" part that is in there now. I was also thinking that it should probably be clear in the manual whether or not an option is mandatory (when specifying the -gui or -cli flag) or optional and to explain that certain additional packages must be installed to use some additional features (I am referring to the optional dependencies of ssh and stunnel).

@UncleHunto

Are you an Arch Linux user and the maintainer of this package? If so; then your thoughts about the above ^^?

Also, any experience in writing systemd service files?    ^__^

I am currently using: (sleep 10 && terminator -e "sudo ~/Documents/Scripts/airvpn") but would prefer to launch right after all of my network targets were up.

@hungryghost I am indeed the maintainer of the airvpn-bin and airvpn-beta-bin packages in the AUR.    I use Manjaro, which is based on arch and pretty much the same in terms of how you would do something, but while I have had a little experience with writing systemd service files, unfortunately I don't know enough about them to be able to answer your systemd question. It makes sense to me to include both the gui and cli options in the man page, especially since they are all options relevant to one binary (i.e. there is no separate "airvpn-cli" binary, you just use the regular airvpn binary and add a "-cli" flag). In this case, if both cli and gui options are going to be included in one man page, I would suggest changing the "SYNOPSIS" section from:

airvpn -cli [OPTIONS...]

to

airvpn [OPTIONS...]

. . . since the "-cli" flag is just one of the available "[OPTIONS . . .]"

Also, I would be happy to include your man page in my AUR package(s) once you get it finished. 

Best wishes,

-Uncle Hunto

@UncleHunto

Awesome. Good to hear (would like everyone to benefit). Also, I am a fan of Manjaro. I have installed it on a number of computers.

Still working on the formatting / layout at this point (using systemd (among others) man page as a reference point (those freedesktop guys don't make a lot of mistakes when it comes down to things like this)).

Not entirely sure how many options sections to include. The options sections I have now are:

OPTIONS

GUI Specific Options

Microsoft Windows OS Specific Options

I suppose I should include something alone the lines of:

Command Line Options (APPLY to -cli) 

or something along those lines.

Also, in the SEE ALSO section I have: openvpn(8)

I am wondering if ssh(1) and stunnel(8) should be included. They are not directly referenced but they are definitely used on my system with airvpn (I prefer ssl 443 for my connections). However they are optional dependencies.

Your thoughts? 

@UncleHunto

Awesome. Good to hear (would like everyone to benefit). Also, I am a fan of Manjaro. I have installed it on a number of computers.

Still working on the formatting / layout at this point (using systemd (among others) man page as a reference point (those freedesktop guys don't make a lot of mistakes when it comes down to things like this)).

Not entirely sure how many options sections to include. The options sections I have now are:

OPTIONS

GUI Specific Options

Microsoft Windows OS Specific Options

I suppose I should include something alone the lines of:

Command Line Options (APPLY to -cli) 

or something along those lines.

Also, in the SEE ALSO section I have: openvpn(8)

I am wondering if ssh(1) and stunnel(8) should be included. They are not directly referenced but they are definitely used on my system with airvpn (I prefer ssl 443 for my connections). However they are optional dependencies.

Your thoughts? 

Including ssh and stunnel in the SEE ALSO section makes sense to me.

Here's a few resources I found which might help you out in regards to man page formatting:

How should a formatted man page look?

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Man-Page/q3.html

Writing man Pages Using groff

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/1158

Writing manual pages

http://liw.fi/manpages/

@UncleHunto

There are tabs (beginning of line) and blank spaces I missed on these lines that should be removed:

16 17 21 23 61 191 452

Aside from that I do not see any obvious problems.