Not connected, Your IP: 3.135.213.214
Magenof

ANSWERED Why is TCP port 80 the only port I have decent speed on?

Hello,

I'm quite new to VPN and I've been testing all the ports in the airvpn application to see which gives me the best speed.

With most of the ports (udp and tcp) I cant get over 2MB/s, only on port 80 gives me decent speed (12MB/s).

I was wondering if any of you knew what could be the cause of this? Is it my ISP throttling the other ports? 

Thanks 

Would using port 80 and TCP give me a disadvantage over other ports or should it be all the same?

Hello !

Welcome to AirVPN . Feel free to check out my signature if you need help.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hello,

I'm quite new to VPN and I've been testing all the ports in the airvpn application to see which gives me the best speed.

With most of the ports (udp and tcp) I cant get over 2MB/s, only on port 80 gives me decent speed (12MB/s).

I was wondering if any of you knew what could be the cause of this? Is it my ISP throttling the other ports? 

Thanks 

Have you tried SSL and SSH tunnels?  How does 12MB/s compare to your ISP speed?

Also check your running programs, like antivirus suites with packet filtering modules (firewalls). I've seen some crazy settings in free versions of AVG and Avast.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Would using port 80 and TCP give me a disadvantage over other ports or should it be all the same?

It really depends on your specific situation :]. Some ISPs block certain ports and protocols while others don't. It doesn't hurt to experiment though.

If it was all the same, it wouldn't be included in the client haha. It's to give you options. If you're in a place like China for instance, then SSL Tunnel on port 443 is pretty much required, for instance.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hello,

Thanks 

Have you tried SSL and SSH tunnels?  How does 12MB/s compare to your ISP speed?

Yes I tried the SSL and SSH tunnels, they all connect and work, just the speed seems to be capped at 2MB/s.

Normally, without VPN I get a max download of around 22MB/s.

Strange thing though, when I use the speed test provided by airvpn I get mostly the exact same speeds for each connection, though in real downloads these are a lot different. (torrents, direct downloads, etc)

Torrents and downloads are a bad indicator for max speed. A better indicator would be speedtest.net with a nearest location to the server you are connecting to.

Just tried testing all of the ports with speedtest.net on one server and you're right, they mostly about the same speed. My problem must be caused by my shitty testing.

Apologies and thanks for the fast help!

Torrents and downloads are a bad indicator for max speed. A better indicator would be speedtest.net with a nearest location to the server you are connecting to.

I assume you say torrents are bad because to test you have to make sure it's a well seeded torrent?

Downloading an ubuntu iso is a great test of max speed I think.