Not connected, Your IP: 18.217.144.32
Sign in to follow this  
saebo

Connect virtualbox to the host PC's VPN adapter

I had this idea yesterday, but I cant figure out how to make it work

If I was able to connect a virtual machine (ubuntu 11.10 x64) to the TAP adapter of the host PC (win7 x64) running airVPN, then all internet traffic from the VM should be automatically routed through the VPN and if my connection to airVPN drops then the VM will no longer have access to the internet. It seems simple to me but for some reason I cannot get it to work. I know there is some tech wizard out there that could make this work.

So elighten me, please. Google is screaming for mercy and I haven't found anything that explains how this can be.

I had this idea yesterday, but I cant figure out how to make it work

If I was able to connect a virtual machine (ubuntu 11.10 x64) to the TAP adapter of the host PC (win7 x64) running airVPN, then all internet traffic from the VM should be automatically routed through the VPN and if my connection to airVPN drops then the VM will no longer have access to the internet. It seems simple to me but for some reason I cannot get it to work. I know there is some tech wizard out there that could make this work.

So elighten me, please. Google is screaming for mercy and I haven't found anything that explains how this can be.

Hello!

You have various options, for example connecting the guest OS to the TAP-Win32 adapter via bridging and disabling access to all the other network cards. In this way, if the VPN connection is not established (or drops), the guest OS can't communicate with the Internet. VirtualBox, currently one of the best virtualization packages available, will let you do that with a few clicks. Please refer to the manuals of your virtualization software for additional details, and do not hesitate to contact us for any further information.

Kind regards

Thank you for your quick reply.

I have tried connecting virtualbox to the TAP-Win32 adapter in bridge mode but have not had success. I have a solid VPN connection on the host machine but the guest cannot establish a connection through the TAP bridge. I have noticed a few posts about this topic on a few other sites but there does not seem to be a clear solution. I realize this is asking alot but if anyone has the time to test out this configuration it would be very helpful