Not connected, Your IP: 3.12.108.7
Sign in to follow this  
ccreedy

Can we choose Cypher strength?

Hi Everyone,

signed up for the service today, I'm trying to increase my overall speeds  I'm in the process of overclocking my RT-AC 87U, I've always run Merlin, I've installed cooling and disabled the 2.4GHZ Radio.

I'm running a 70 Down 19 Up Line without VPN, as soon as I open the tunnel I'm hitting about 23 Down / 12 Up (Only using 42% of core 2 while doing so), not a shabby start but the CPU on the 87U has been reported to do a lot better.

Some suggestions are to drop down to AES-128-CBC as apposed to AES-256-CBC can this be done on airvpn? I've manually tried adjusting, although a connection is made, no net access.

The only other thing I can do is insist the ISP is not throttling the VPN connection.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Hi Everyone,

signed up for the service today, I'm trying to increase my overall speeds  I'm in the process of overclocking my RT-AC 87U, I've always run Merlin, I've installed cooling and disabled the 2.4GHZ Radio.

I'm running a 70 Down 19 Up Line without VPN, as soon as I open the tunnel I'm hitting about 23 Down / 12 Up (Only using 42% of core 2 while doing so), not a shabby start but the CPU on the 87U has been reported to do a lot better.

Some suggestions are to drop down to AES-128-CBC as apposed to AES-256-CBC can this be done on airvpn? I've manually tried adjusting, although a connection is made, no net access.

The only other thing I can do is insist the ISP is not throttling the VPN connection.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

I have the same router. I'm getting ~40Mbits speed with no problem. Having said that, I have 40Mbit connection and have read elsewhere that this throughput may be the limit of this router. And I guess that You would get much better results with even best consumer grade router on the market right now. So, rather than downgrading encryption, I would suggest You to get some decent pfSense box and enjoy full speed, security, IDS, and all the goodies which come with pfSense.

As a starting point I would recommend something like zbox CI323 nano plus pfSense. It actually costs less than more expensive consumer routers and it's way better. It has AES-NI, and much better processor. 

Frankly with consumers routers You never saturate 70Mbits, not saying 100Mbits+.

@

m2g2tem

Hello!

Wow, that looks like a really fantastic box! Thanks for the suggestion.

OP, remember to take a look at the AirVPN remote portforwarding, to increase speeds with certain applications

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

I have the same router. I'm getting ~40Mbits speed with no problem. Having said that, I have 40Mbit connection and have read elsewhere that this throughput may be the limit of this router. And I guess that You would get much better results with even best consumer grade router on the market right now. So, rather than downgrading encryption, I would suggest You to get some decent pfSense box and enjoy full speed, security, IDS, and all the goodies which come with pfSense.

As a starting point I would recommend something like zbox CI323 nano plus pfSense. It actually costs less than more expensive consumer routers and it's way better. It has AES-NI, and much better processor. 

Frankly with consumers routers You never saturate 70Mbits, not saying 100Mbits+.

the zbox does have a really powerful CPU, it might be able to handle my 300Mbit line, where would I acquire it tho, the zbox site doesn't have any purchase option.

the zbox does have a really powerful CPU, it might be able to handle my 300Mbit line, where would I acquire it tho, the zbox site doesn't have any purchase option.

In Europe it's available in most online electronic stores. It's quite popular.

@

m2g2tem

Hello!

OP, remember to take a look at the AirVPN remote portforwarding, to increase speeds with certain applications

You may also be interested in upcoming CI545, it has 2 cores but *much* more powerful. Taking into account that pfSense and OpenVPN are mainly single core bound, it would be very nice box for OpenVPN router.

The only supported mode is AES-256-CBC (with HMAC-SHA1).

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

@

m2g2tem

Hello!

You may also be interested in upcoming CI545, it has 2 cores but *much* more powerful. Taking into account that pfSense and OpenVPN are mainly single core bound, it would be very nice box for OpenVPN router.

It is a lot more powerful, my own CPU has 3.30GHz stock, if I put that one up to 3.0 I could have a guaranteed full speed OpenVPN router, when is it set to release?

@m2g2tem

I was originally considering the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 - AC1900.

Thanks.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Forget consumer grade box when you need VPN, Routing, Firewall and so on. Better to invest in x86 box and stick pfSense on it....you never look back. My R7000 is acting as AP (stock fw) and if you need VLAN you have to look at DD-WRT or Tomato firmwares.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

- Router/Firewall pfSense 23.01 (11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11320H @ 3.20GHz)

- Switch Cisco SG350-10

- AP Netgear RAX200 (Stock FW)

- NAS Synology DS1621+ (5 x 5TB WD Red)

- ISP: Fiber 1000/300 (PPPoE)

@m2g2tem

I was originally considering the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 - AC1900.

Thanks.

I strongly recommend to buy pfsense box, It's so much faster, powerful, flexible, comes with so much better software. Once I got this I never looked back. And it comes at the same price (including SSD disk and memory).

My current setup is: zbox C323 (~$130), SSD 100GB (~$30) and 4GB memory (~$20). I have world class, enterprise grade routing software, world class UTM, and efficient OpenVPN in a box half size of regular consumer router.

Still however You will need WIFI acess point. I actually turned my expensive AC-87U into stripped down access point.