Not connected, Your IP: 3.237.186.170

Posted ... (edited)

Hi,

I just opened a trial account [staff cut: no ads please - comparison between VPNs can be performed on the proper forum]

I would like to have AirVPN's OpenVPN, however I just configured my router to use the Netherlands servers (which should be good), but I only get a mere 4 MBps....

Is this normal?

Edited ... by Staff
Ads removal

Hi,

I just opened a trial account [staff cut: no ads please - comparison between VPNs can be performed on the proper forum]

I would like to have AirVPN's OpenVPN, however I just configured my router to use the Netherlands servers (which should be good), but I only get a mere 4 MBps....

Is this normal?

Hello!

That depends on which CPU your router is equipped with. Our OpenVPN cipher is AES-256-CBC, which is heavy for several consumers' routers CPU. Encryption/decryption of the throughput you get is very good (4 MB/s = 32 Mbit/s), and very few routers CPUs can beat that. Test a direct connection from your computer (disable OpenVPN on the router momentarily) to quickly discern whether the "bottleneck" is on the router. What is the nominal peak bandwidth you have according to your ISP?

Kind regards

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I am using a dual-core 1Ghz router (Asus rt87u). I meant to say I get 4 megabits per second, resulting in 0.5 Megabyte per sec. My normal downloadbandwith is 85-90 megabits/sec (100/50 connection from ISP).

What minimum server side speeds do you guarantee on Open VPN?

Assuming you are using the VPN on your router, The router is the bottleneck, not AirVPN. Has nothing to do with air. There are many threads on this.

Only solution would be to try and temp. disable the vpn connection on the router and directly connect to airvpn through your PC. Im using it on my laptop and i get 5mb/s which is my full bandwith. I really hope that it helped you

Probably a problem with the router. Lower end routers aren't able to connect with VPN at very high speeds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No maximum speed limit, it depends only on the server load (see here).

Minimum allocated granted bandwidth: 4 Mbit/s download + 4 Mbit/s upload

I dont think server-load (which you get presented in Eddie) has something to do with the max speeds people are getting. From my experience it's more related to "how many users are connected to a server". We can all do the math and if there over 100 users are connected speed goes down pretty hard at your end.

On a good moment I can max out my connection through AirVPN (200mbit) but the last few weeks I am getting a lot less of that while the servers loads aren't that high 10%-20% but the connected users are higher then a month or 2 ago.

We all know why most people are using a vpn connection and if you read the media a little it is expected that vpn usage (not only with AirVPN) is increasing the last couple of months.

My advice: 

- don't pick the recommended server

- pick a server with the least amount of users which is not the top of the list if you sorted on speed.

No maximum speed limit, it depends only on the server load (see here).

Minimum allocated granted bandwidth: 4 Mbit/s download + 4 Mbit/s upload

I dont think server-load (which you get presented in Eddie) has something to do with the max speeds people are getting. From my experience it's more related to "how many users are connected to a server". We can all do the math and if there over 100 users are connected speed goes down pretty hard at your end.

On a good moment I can max out my connection through AirVPN (200mbit) but the last few weeks I am getting a lot less of that while the servers loads aren't that high 10%-20% but the connected users are higher then a month or 2 ago.

We all know why most people are using a vpn connection and if you read the media a little it is expected that vpn usage (not only with AirVPN) is increasing the last couple of months.

My advice: 

- don't pick the recommended server

- pick a server with the least amount of users which is not the top of the list if you sorted on speed.

I don't read media so I'd love to know why it'd be increasing?

don't read media so I'd love to know why it'd be increasing?

Search for Torrentfreak on Google.

I know about torrentfreak but that doesn't tell me anything since it has hundreds of news posts.