Not connected, Your IP: 3.15.211.107
triplestacktuna

Client broken in openSUSE Tumbleweed after update

Hi guys, the client used to work perfectly prior to a recent update. Now it won't start and when I try to start it via terminal I get the error below.

Now as you can see this is not the same problem as what other Fedora/openSUSE people have reported and fixed, my libgdiplus.so is linked properly and if I remove those files I can actually get it to reproduce the other error that most people report. This is something else entirely. I suspect it has something to do with the mono packages so I uninstalled and reinstalled all the mono packages and installed mono-complete as well to get all the extra packages. No change.

WARNING: The runtime version supported by this application is unavailable.
Using default runtime: v4.0.30319
I 2015.12.04 12:36:42 - AirVPN client version: 2.10.3 / x64, System: Linux, Name: Welcome to openSUSE 20151201 "Tumbl
eweed" - Kernel \r (\l). / x64
. 2015.12.04 12:36:42 - Reading options from /root/.airvpn/AirVPN.xml
. 2015.12.04 12:36:42 - Profile options not found, using defaults.

Unhandled Exception:
System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'System.Windows.Forms.WindowsFormsSynchronizationContext
' threw an exception. ---> System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'System.Windows.Forms.XplatUI
' threw an exception. ---> System.ArgumentNullException: Could not open display (X-Server required. Check your DISPLA
Y environment variable)
Parameter name: Display
 at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUIX11.SetDisplay (IntPtr display_handle) <0x41d71570 + 0x00b9b> in <filename unknown>:
 at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUIX11..ctor () <0x41d1bc70 + 0x001df> in <filename unknown>:0  
 at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUIX11.GetInstance () <0x41d2bd30 + 0x0005b> in <filename unknown>:0  
 at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUI..cctor () <0x41d3be20 + 0x00137> in <filename unknown>:0  
 --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
 at System.Windows.Forms.Theme.get_MenuAccessKeysUnderlined () <0x41d6ffe0 + 0x0000b> in <filename unknown>:0  
 at System.Windows.Forms.SystemInformation.get_MenuAccessKeysUnderlined () <0x41d6e910 + 0x00017> in <filename unkno
wn>:0  
 at System.Windows.Forms.Control..ctor () <0x41d6d640 + 0x00243> in <filename unknown>:0  
 at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Windows.Forms.Control:.ctor ()
 at System.Windows.Forms.WindowsFormsSynchronizationContext..cctor () <0x41d6e840 + 0x0001f> in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Windows.Forms.Control..ctor () <0x41d6d640 + 0x00053> in <filename unknown>:0  
 at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl..ctor () <0x41d6d0d0 + 0x0000f> in <filename unknown>:0  
 at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl..ctor () <0x41d6cf40 + 0x00027> in <filename unknown>:0  
 at System.Windows.Forms.Form..ctor () <0x41d6c6a0 + 0x000e7> in <filename unknown>:0  
 at AirVPN.Gui.Form..ctor () <0x41d69660 + 0x0000f> in <filename unknown>:0  
 at AirVPN.Gui.Forms.Main..ctor () <0x41d68260 + 0x0013f> in <filename unknown>:0  
 at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) AirVPN.Gui.Forms.Main:.ctor ()
 at AirVPN.UI.Linux.Program.Main () <0x41cfcd90 + 0x00137> in <filename unknown>:0  
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'System.Windows.Forms
.WindowsFormsSynchronizationContext' threw an exception. ---> System.TypeInitializationException: The type initialize
r for 'System.Windows.Forms.XplatUI' threw an exception. ---> System.ArgumentNullException: Could not open display (X
-Server required. Check your DISPLAY environment variable)
Parameter name: Display
 at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUIX11.SetDisplay (IntPtr display_handle) <0x41d71570 + 0x00b9b> in <filename unknown>:
 at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUIX11..ctor () <0x41d1bc70 + 0x001df> in <filename unknown>:0  
 at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUIX11.GetInstance () <0x41d2bd30 + 0x0005b> in <filename unknown>:0  
 at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUI..cctor () <0x41d3be20 + 0x00137> in <filename unknown>:0  
 at System.Windows.Forms.Theme.get_MenuAccessKeysUnderlined () <0x41d6ffe0 + 0x0000b> in <filename unknown>:0  
 at System.Windows.Forms.SystemInformation.get_MenuAccessKeysUnderlined () <0x41d6e910 + 0x00017> in <filename unkno
wn>:0  
 at System.Windows.Forms.Control..ctor () <0x41d6d640 + 0x00243> in <filename unknown>:0  
 at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Windows.Forms.Control:.ctor ()
 at System.Windows.Forms.WindowsFormsSynchronizationContext..cctor () <0x41d6e840 + 0x0001f> in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Windows.Forms.Control..ctor () <0x41d6d640 + 0x00053> in <filename unknown>:0  
 at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl..ctor () <0x41d6d0d0 + 0x0000f> in <filename unknown>:0  
 at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl..ctor () <0x41d6cf40 + 0x00027> in <filename unknown>:0  
 at System.Windows.Forms.Form..ctor () <0x41d6c6a0 + 0x000e7> in <filename unknown>:0  
 at AirVPN.Gui.Form..ctor () <0x41d69660 + 0x0000f> in <filename unknown>:0  
 at AirVPN.Gui.Forms.Main..ctor () <0x41d68260 + 0x0013f> in <filename unknown>:0  
 at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) AirVPN.Gui.Forms.Main:.ctor ()
 at AirVPN.UI.Linux.Program.Main () <0x41cfcd90 + 0x00137> in <filename unknown>:0

Any ideas? I'm sort of up a creek here. 

Thanks

I have the same exception under Arch Linux x64.
It seems like kdesu or whatever elevates the priviliges doesn't really set the display environment variable or mono doesn't find it.
I could get it to work with kdesudo or a "normal" sudo and copying my AirVPN.xml to the root folder, but then it disconnects with the message "DNS checking failed" in the log 

I have the same problem. AirVPN cannot elevate itself to admin privileges. 
If i sudo bash and run with root it does run.

Any idea how to get more logs?

Same here on the latest Manjaro (Capella)

$airvpn 
WARNING: The runtime version supported by this application is unavailable.
Using default runtime: v4.0.30319
I 2015.12.07 22:24:32 - AirVPN client version: 2.10.3 / x64, System: Linux, Name: Manjaro Linux \r  (\n) (\l) / x64
. 2015.12.07 22:24:32 - Restarting with admin privileges

And then it stays quiet...

With sudo I get a bit further, but DNS checking fails.

Win7 | Manjaro Gnome | Eddie stable

Just installed a fresh Debian 8 Jessie.

Upgrading to the latest Mono Main repo (deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy main) doesn't break Eddie.
Upgrading to the latest Mono BETA repo (deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy beta) BREAKS Eddie.

Since package libmono-winforms2.0-cil is not available anymore in BETA repo, and apt removes also airvpn package because it has a dependency.

Installing libmono-system-windows-forms4.0-cil fixes the issue with Mono 4.2.1.

We need to investigate side-effects on other Linux distros before changing .deb dependencies.
In the meantime, this info can be useful for external package maintainer (like ArchLinux).

Can confirm Mono is the issue. Downgrading Mono from 4.2.1.102-1 => 4.0.4.1-1 solves the problem.

Same here.

Same for me on Ubuntu 14.04

Just installed Monodevelop which in turn killed my beloved Air client (got automatically removed).

A new installation of the client is not possible

The following packages have unmet dependencies:

airvpn : Depends: libmono-system-runtime2.0-cil but it is not installed
         Depends: libmono-winforms2.0-cil but it is not installed

Mono JIT compiler version 4.2.1 (Stable 4.2.1.102/6dd2d0d Thu Nov 12 09:52:44 UTC 2015)

libmono-system-windows-forms4.0-cil is already the newest version.
libmono-system-windows-forms4.0-cil set to manually installed.

regards

Greetings, maintainer of the AUR airvpn-bin and airvpn-beta-bin packages here, myself and several others have had similar experiences to YamiNoKeshin, where, on Arch Linux and Manjaro, Eddie 2.10.3 will not function properly after upgrading to mono 4.2.1, but after downgrading mono to 4.0.4 Eddie functions properly again.

I am new to AirVPN, I am kind of curious if the linux client is still under development and/or how long the update to the latest mono will take.  

Looks like this is going to take some time to get fixed…
…in the meantime, (I need a workaround)

By-The-Way, this seems to be the main link, referencing the Mono Problem:
https://airvpn.org/topic/16299-mono-upgrade-to-result-in-removal-of-airvpn-client-under-debian-unstable/
*Note the Portable version of Eddie that does not use Mono, works on Ubuntu, and seems to be the best solution for now ;-)

running Portable Eddie on Manjaro, before Plasma 4 now Plasma 5, last eight, nine months, no problems

no need mono or openvpn to be installed, Manjaro doesn't have them in default installation...