Not connected, Your IP: 18.188.10.246
mrblurayman

JUST 3 QUESTIONS RE:NETWORK LOCK ETC

Hi instead of me sending e-mails ill just post here do forgive my spelling I am a total NEWBIE..

(1) Activate Network Lock is this like a kind of kill switch ?

(2) Also doe this stop DNS LEAK'S ?  if I do a DNS leak and find 2 servers how do I fix that link ?

(3) I installed AirVpn  is there any way to make desktop icon of AirVpn ? so I can load it faster ?

Thank you.

Only reason I came back is cause of the Activate Network Lock which u never had before but I did find your speeds very fast and good thank you.

if you lose your connection to the VPN server you are connected to the Netowrk lock will instantly shutdown ALL internet connectivity.

Hi!

Just a clarification which is extremely important. This is not how Network Lock works. It would be catastrophic if Network Lock worked in that way!

Network Lock is a set of firewall rules to prevent any leak. It does not matter whether the connection to the VPN is working or not, whether the traffic is tunneled or not, the firewall rules are the same.

This is vital, otherwise it would be impossible to prevent a leak while the traffic is properly tunneled, it would be impossible to prevent leaks in case VPN connection went down undetected. it would be impossible to prevent leaks from programs binding unexpectedly to your physical network card. Such problems affect kill switches and they are some of the reasons (there are additional, important reasons too) for which kill switches do not deserve any consideration.

See also https://airvpn.org/faq/software_lock

Kind regards

2) The network lock does not stop DNS leaks. The AirVPN client "Eddie" has features within it to to this. WIth the AirVPN client open, click "preferences" --> "advanced"-->"DNS" that's where you will find the DNS settings. However, be sure to go to IPleak.net to check and see if you are leaking DNS requests.

On top of the staff's clarifications, I would like to point out that the "Network Lock" feature will prevent DNS leaks as it will only allow traffic to go to the VPN server, hence cutting off any connection to any other DNS server other than AirVPN's.

2) The network lock does not stop DNS leaks. The AirVPN client "Eddie" has features within it to to this. WIth the AirVPN client open, click "preferences" --> "advanced"-->"DNS" that's where you will find the DNS settings. However, be sure to go to IPleak.net to check and see if you are leaking DNS requests.

On top of the staff's clarifications, I would like to point out that the "Network Lock" feature will prevent DNS leaks as it will only allow traffic to go to the VPN server, hence cutting off any connection to any other DNS server other than AirVPN's.

Hello,

an additional clarification is here needed. Network Lock does not block communications to your router.

Now, assume that you run Windows, that you disable "Force DNS" Eddie option, that the primary nameserver of your Windows physical network card is set to the router IP address and that the router in turn queries your ISP DNS.

When Windows sends a DNS query from the physical interface (and sooner or later it will happen) that query will go unencrypted to the router, which in turn will query, again in clear text, your ISP DNS.

For the above reasons, Network Lock does not prevent DNS leaks in this very specific circumstance, and that's why "Force DNS" is set by default on Eddie from version 2.9.2. "Force DNS" sets VPN nameservers on all the system interfaces.

If we want a Network Lock that's also a DNS leak prevention on Windows, then it must block all packets to router port 53, but this solution must be evaluated carefully because it could pose some issues in other specific setups (for example where a box is also a DNS server for resolution of local names).

Kind regards

Sorry yes windows 8.1 HP LapTop    I don't use google or there search engine I use internet explorer don't know why laugh but I have Firefox with WEBRTC ADD ON

Ok so I did ipleak test not sure if this means it good or bad but it two different isp's here  here is a screen shot.Thank you.

P.S all good but bit slow connecting otherwise all fine

Hello,

an additional clarification is here needed. Network Lock does not block communications to your router.

Now, assume that you run Windows, that you disable "Force DNS" Eddie option, that the primary nameserver of your Windows physical network card is set to the router IP address and that the router in turn queries your ISP DNS.

When Windows sends a DNS query from the physical interface (and sooner or later it will happen) that query will go unencrypted to the router, which in turn will query, again in clear text, your ISP DNS.

For the above reasons, Network Lock does not prevent DNS leaks in this very specific circumstance, and that's why "Force DNS" is set by default on Eddie from version 2.9.2. "Force DNS" sets VPN nameservers on all the system interfaces.

If we want a Network Lock that's also a DNS leak prevention on Windows, then it must block all packets to router port 53, but this solution must be evaluated carefully because it could pose some issues in other specific setups (for example where a box is also a DNS server for resolution of local names).

Kind regards

I miscalcuated about the computer having DNS of the router and it not being able to stop DNS leaks due to this... thank you for correcting me.

OK. So the "network lock" takes the place of a "kill switch" but is actually better.  If the "network lock" is on, I am protected even if I get disconnected. Is this correct?

OK. So the "network lock" takes the place of a "kill switch" but is actually better.  If the "network lock" is on, I am protected even if I get disconnected. Is this correct?

Yes. If you disconnect/lose connection to the VPN server while "Network Lock" is on, you will simply lose internet access until you reconnect or turn off "Network Lock".