Not connected, Your IP: 3.138.174.174
Eimerkopp

Abysmal speeds - any server - Comcast (0-30kbit...)

Hello,

For 2-3weeks now I am an AirVPN user.

Initial enthusiasm to overcome geographic obstacles and gaining some privacy has been reduced by my experience with AirVPN in conjuction with Comcast

What can I try / who is to blame?

• Comcast is a 25mbit connection - Speedtest (IMO tweaked) gets up to 60mbit down - so at least hardware there is no issue it seems.
  • No matter the connectivity method tried in the AirVPN client, video streaming not workable, site requetss take forever, or timeout!  Speeds are between .5kb/s and ~25-30kb/s (bursts).
  • Same Comcast line is fine when using no VPN, or work VPN connection (OpenVPN, or Cisco AnyConnect).
  • I am not seeking help here about performance issues, I am seeking help getting speeds up to a point where the internet is usable again. Yes, I am writing this while not being logged in to AirVPN.
  • Yes, I did have a look around the forum prior to this post. The suggestions found do not seem to have a measurable impact.

Please let me know what information I should provide / what steps should be taken.

Thank you in advance.

The suggestions found do not seem to have a measurable impact.

It would also be helpful if you give a couple examples of which suggestions that you tried that did not have an impact.

For instance, I had same issue after upgrading to Eddy 2.9 on all my connections, including the Comcast one, I rolled back to 2.8 (and the older tap driver), all was well again, it would be helpful to know if this was tried, or if changing the buffers had any effect. You mention open-vpn to work (I'm assuming this is the generic open vpn client?) worked fine, have you tried connecting via that instead of eddy to Airvpn?   Help us help you.

For anyone else experiencing this problem - getting like, less than 100 Kilobytes per second download, insanely slow, etc.:

I tried changing my AirVPN settings, ports, SSL, SSH, then command line OpenVPN plus Stunnel and SSL, tried connecting my PC directly to the cable modem bypassing the router, everything.  Nothing worked.

Turned out it was just some bug with the software I was running - Deluge, a Bittorrent client - which was set to run at startup and seed some old torrents.  While I was pulling my hair out trying to solve this problem, I was closing all my windows apps.  I noticed that with Deluge closed, the slow connection problem went away, and that with Deluge open, they were seeding at extremely low upload speeds (less than 30 kilobytes per second).

So, I moved my torrents over to a different client (I tried BitComet) and not only did the torrents seem to work fine, and upload at normal speeds, but it also didn't clog my whole internet connection and I was able to browse the web normally.