Not connected, Your IP: 18.188.20.56
mblue

Add server status to API output

Posted ... (edited)
What is the feasibility of adding the server's status (online, offline, imminent withdrawal, etc.) as a new Attribute name in an XML formatted API call?  This would be very helpful for those of us wishing to rank servers and then select one for connection via openvpn.  Thank you.

Edited ... by mblue

For generalization, a status data field could display all kinds of status messages - online status and current issues.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

For generalization, a status data field could display all kinds of status messages - online status and current issues.

Good idea.  I edited my original post to be more general in this request.

And please contact Staff about this, too, via support ticket for example.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

And please contact Staff about this, too, via support ticket for example.

Done (request #33079), thanks for push

Hello!

Health status, reason, and entry IP added. Look at the bottom of the answer to the faq: https://airvpn.org/faq/api/

Any feedback improvement is greatly appreciated.

@mblue: We understand you fetch our API with a custom script and generate OVPN config files.
Maybe it can be interesting for our community if you explain your needs or reasons. Maybe we can improve our API or our config generator.

Thanks.

Kind regards

@staff - Thank you, the new data are very nice.  My thought was to have a script select the best server (best = lowest bandwidth in the country of my choosing) and then update /etc/openvpn/air.conf with that IP address before connecting.  Is this a good strategy to insure good speeds and responsiveness?

The main part of the script just fetches and produces a list based on the bandwidth value.  Again, is there a better way to do this?

Note to readers - the server loads and status, etc. are dynamic so this query would need to be repeated once every time you want to connect I would think so you can simply make the script run by your init system when you start your openvpn.

$ wget -q -O /tmp/airpull.xml "https://airvpn.org/api/?format=xml&key=MYKEY&service=status"
$ xml sel -t -m '//servers[@country_code="ca" and @bw_max=1000 and @health="ok"]' \
-v @bw -o " " -v @ip_entry -o " "  -v @public_name -n /tmp/airpull.xml  | sort -n
88 104.254.90.250 Gorgonea
90 199.19.94.19 Spica
127 199.19.94.132 Rana